First king crimson's album

name that tune
Adatur
Latvia

First king crimson's album

Post by Adatur » 03 Jan 2019 20:50

I want to buy first king crimson's album original first uk press,island records 1969 but i read that the stereo master recorder used during the mixdown stage of the album had incorrectly-aligned recording heads so there will be distortion and other bad stuff. I just want to know is it better to buy first uk press on island record label maybe it will not sound bad or 2010 remastered version? Which is better? :D

Gelid
broken record

Re: First king crimson's album

Post by Gelid » 07 Jan 2019 01:04

Look for a first or early pressing of the US release on Atlantic records.

The issues with the original master was discovered before the US release, so the original (1st generation) master was duplicated and was re-touched in an attempt to correct the issues of the original.

Even though this is a 2nd generation, it is the master that other masters were made from for every release of this album in any format until the 1st generation original was re-discovered in 2003.

Thus, it is your best shot at the best-quality audio for the LP format of this album.

Sinsonido
United States of America

Post by Sinsonido » 07 Jan 2019 02:01

I have a 1971 'pink rim' Island pressing that is compressed/brash sounding and it is NM. I have heard some US pressings from the mid-seventies that sounded better. As far as the 1st UK goes, it depends on how much you're willing to pay for it and how much of a crap shoot you're willing to take. Finding one that hasn't been beat to hell at this point is going to cost you. If the seller is local and you can somehow 'try before you buy' or ask the seller to submit a needledrop (not likely) it might be an easier decision. But if you're in the "first press or die" camp, none of that is going to matter.

IMHO the 2010 release is about as good as I've heard it, and it is sourced from the original masters. Good luck whatever you decide.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 07 Jan 2019 02:43

For what it's worth, I have the 2010 vinyl and the 2004/2005 CD, which are both derived from the original stereo master tapes. They both sound great, and I am satisfied that I won't find a better sounding copy in any format. The distortion is still there, but it is also audible in every release that I have heard, so it's no disappointment to me; at least I know they are made from the original master tapes.

For the CD's, the 2005 O.M.E. sounds a bit better than the 1999 30th anniversary edition that I have owned since it came out. For the LP, all I have to compare the 2010 to is the E.G. Definitive Edition of 1989, and that one is in physically rough shape.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 07 Jan 2019 15:47

If you wanted to *splash out* you could go for the recent 1969-1972 box set released about a month ago? ... I don't own it myself so not a clue about how good it compares!
King Crimson 1969-1972 is a limited edition boxed set presenting the band’s celebrated quartet of studio albums from that period - In The Court Of The Crimson King, In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands - in their 40th anniversary edition mixes (created by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp between 2009-2010).

Additionally, a 2LP set of rarities is included (many mixed and produced by Steven Wilson). The Alternative Guide To King Crimson is presented in the gatefold artwork originally used for the 1975 compilation The Young Person’s Guide to King Crimson. A full-sized replica of the original King Crimson timeline booklet which accompanied that compilation is also included.

All albums are cut from the same hi-res masters used for the 40th anniversary CD/DVD-A series, pressed on 200g super-heavyweight vinyl, and presented in their original sleeves.
https://burningshed.com/store/kingcrims ... nyl-boxset

Sinsonido
United States of America

Post by Sinsonido » 04 Jul 2019 17:23

Another option might be a repress of the original stampers on the Pink rim Island label, which might save you a little money since it's not as 'collectible' as the solid pink label. I just (meaning today) received one that appears to be in NM condition, but haven't heard it yet. My copy appears to have the original Orlake stampers, A▽2 1 4 and B//2 1 5. It will be difficult to compare this with an actual Pink label Island since the one I heard was a bit hammered, but my other copy is also a Pink Rim with the EMI 4U stampers that is at least in EX+ condition. Should be interesting.

There's no doubt the 2010 LP sounds great but it was also cut from a digital file which, like "GMO", isn't always specified in the contents....

pbthal

Post by pbthal » 06 Jul 2019 23:26

Get the German Stateside first pressing...

Sinsonido
United States of America

Post by Sinsonido » 07 Jul 2019 00:26

If pbthal and prof. stoned agree then that must be the right answer.

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 09 Jul 2019 10:58

some of the original pink island pressings are going for over £500 in EX condition atm, many early recordings may have been mastered for early playback equipment and sound bright but interesting reading on this thread!

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 12 Jul 2019 17:11

i managed to pick up a pink rim 4U copy of this album and pleased to report the sound quality is superb! crystal clear and quiet during moonchild..