I quit, no more new vinyl.

name that tune
Sterling1
United States of America

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Sterling1 » 27 Jan 2019 11:00

I'm wondering if others here who have purchased the same new LPs as I have bought experience the same defects, such as a pop or series of pops at a particular point/time on the LP? That would confirm QC issues. Perhaps an advisory thread would promote understanding? Maybe, a thread on LPs with no defects would be appreciated too?

blackdogvinyl
United States of America

Post by blackdogvinyl » 28 Jan 2019 03:53

Latest David Crosby
..Here If You Listen. Pristine mastering and pressing. Absolutely dead silent between tracks and in quiet passages. I have never heard such a perfect pressing.

OTOH I have purchased two new copies of Bowie's Station to Station and returned them both due to lut-of-center spindle holes and warpage. Bottom line... current production is just as capable of very high standards as anything in the past...but I suspect quality control is not great industry-wide. Odd, because as high as we we're in the 70s, all those Black Sabbath and Aerosmith LPs could ha e been made on Flintstones equipment and we would not have noticed anything wrong.

If it sucks, return it. The production plants will get the message if the distributors start returning 20 percent of the stock for refund.

blackdogvinyl
United States of America

Post by blackdogvinyl » 28 Jan 2019 04:30

I use an anti-static carbon fiber brush for every single play as well as my original DiscWasher from the seventies. Keep it clean. And use anti-static plastic sleeves instead of the paper sleeves.

Also,if you get used records that look nice but seem to have e a lot of surface noise, try wet cleaning. There are a couple of YouTube videos by old-timers showing how to do this using a very low-tech and inexpensive method. For a few bucks of material and maybe ten minutes of time per disc, it's well worth trying. You don't need to spend big bucks on machines and have an industrial chemistry degree from MIT to do this. As usual in this hobby where OCD tends to run more rampant than in other areas, there is some obsession over proper liquid cleaning solutions, alcohol or alcohol-free, special female orangutan pubic hair brushes and what-not. It doesn't have to be complicated unless you like it to be.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 28 Jan 2019 13:59

Wet cleaning, if done properly, probably only needs to be done once. The few extra minutes spent on it makes a big difference. They key is to let the fluids do the work to loosen up any dirt, grime, dust, release agent from the plant, etc.

I use a three step process for used records (adding a fourth fluid if the disc is in really bad shape) or a simple one step for new records. The three step takes 5-7 minutes per side. Keep your water brush (the rinse step) separate from the detergent brush(es), tap gently to activate the detergents, go with and against the grain with the brush, then let it sit for a minute or two before vacuuming. I have found the Audio Intelligence fluids to be a great product. They are a little pricey, but they do a great job, and if the record is stored properly afterwards should only need to be used once.

Definitely an OCD aspect to this, but I know now that I've done everything I can to get the best sound possible out of my records. It's an investment just like anything else to do with this hobby (of money and a little bit of time) to get the best results. It will also prolong the life of your stylus.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 04 Feb 2019 02:04

A few decades back I bought a used tonearm -had sold dozens of this model -great performance - good price and never had one fail. So -a couple of months into enjoying it -one channel fails-metered it and one wire doesn't connect to anything-off to importer for service. Time goes on -months in fact and meanwhile I'm only listening to CD's at home. When the arm was finally replaced -I was struck by how noisy LP's sounded to me ? Understand: I still played LP's at work/although this was during the great wave of CD adoption-not a whole lot of LP's were being demoed. But clearly -the adaptation to LP's had worn off over the months of not having constant exposure to them (and their limitations). Don't remember how long it took the wetware to re-adapt -but it wasn't very long. I guess what I'm sayin is -ya want perfection and absolutely no noise -that's not why you'd buy LP's -and I've got and enjoy a few thousand.( BTW-eventually learned the jerk who sold me the arm had pulled the rubber plug out of the arm to "look" at it -with the normal result. It's a small town.))

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 09 Feb 2019 15:49

reynolds617 wrote:
09 Feb 2019 14:33
What are they going to do with my crap photos of my modest system?
You'd be surprised!

Families have been surprised to see "crap" vacation pix of theirs used in advertising campains somewhere across the globe.

"Crap" pictures have been used for years just about everywhere. You just don't have any idea what the worth of a "crap" picture is. :roll:

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Feb 2019 16:00

, do all photo services claim ownership of your photos? I realise this seems a stupid question, but I am not smart in computer and internet stuff. I know if you use the gallery in VE that all pictures get watermarked so that unscrupulous people will have difficulty profiting elsewhere from our pictures, but I don't believe VE is trying to be malicious about it. I think it is more about protecting the sites content and us and our knowledge as it is gathered here.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 09 Feb 2019 18:18

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
09 Feb 2019 15:49
reynolds617 wrote:
09 Feb 2019 14:33
What are they going to do with my crap photos of my modest system?
You'd be surprised!

Families have been surprised to see "crap" vacation pix of theirs used in advertising campains somewhere across the globe.

"Crap" pictures have been used for years just about everywhere. You just don't have any idea what the worth of a "crap" picture is. :roll:
Yes, I’m well aware that this happens, but given the type of content I post here, I really don’t give a tinker’s cuss if someone reuses it. It’s utilitarian content to share what my system looks like or what I’m listening to. If someone can figure out a way to profit from that in any meaningful way, more power to them; the ROI for trying to do so probably can’t even be charted.

This is one case where convenience trumps my “giving up ownership” of the photos. To get bent out of shape about that in this case seems to be a case of making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself on general principle with no real benefit. Again, just my opinion, but I see no real risk here.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Feb 2019 23:39

Justin Trudeau, our PM, and his family was on a billboard in a canoe without his knowledge or permission in the U.S. The real problem was that he was in the Yukon, not the lower 48 state that was advertising. The harm with our stereo pictures online is that some people will use it to try and sell or bilk us on selling sites illegitimately. I hear this regularly on Canuck Audio Mart. There are audio thieves that use the pictures and do not have similar equipment to sell. I do not know how to use the feature, but apparently you can search images and match them in Google like you can with words.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 09 Feb 2019 23:41

circularvibes wrote:
09 Feb 2019 23:39
Justin Trudeau, our PM, and his family was on a billboard in a canoe without his knowledge or permission in the U.S. The real problem was that he was in the Yukon, not the lower 48 state that was advertising. The harm with our stereo pictures online is that some people will use it to try and sell or bilk us on selling sites illegitimately. I hear this regularly on Canuck Audio Mart. There are audio thieves that use the pictures and do not have similar equipment to sell. I do not know how to use the feature, but apparently you can search images and match them in Google like you can with words.
In that particular case, rights ownership won't stop them either.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Feb 2019 23:46

What you say is certainly true, I only meant to suggest that I understand why some people are more careful with online content than others. I understand the desire to have privacy and control of ones content. I do not typically put my pictures online unless I feel safe.

Gogie55
Canada

Post by Gogie55 » 10 Feb 2019 02:41

New to the site but just my two cents worth. I never buy new because there is something romantic about the imperfect sound of old vinyl. I also feel that there is a connection with the time period that the album was originally released when listening to the old vinyl. I want to listen to an album that was pressed when the music was relevant. If we wanted to listen to crystal clear perfection we would all still be listening to our CDs

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 10 Feb 2019 11:40

reynolds617 wrote:
09 Feb 2019 18:18
This is one case where convenience trumps my “giving up ownership” of the photos. To get bent out of shape about that in this case seems to be a case of making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself on general principle with no real benefit. Again, just my opinion, but I see no real risk here.
I totally agree with you. I feel the same about photos I put on audio forums.

I wanted to mention it just in case you were not aware. Also, others may not be aware and could be interested.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 10 Feb 2019 12:49

circularvibes wrote:
09 Feb 2019 23:46
What you say is certainly true, I only meant to suggest that I understand why some people are more careful with online content than others. I understand the desire to have privacy and control of ones content. I do not typically put my pictures online unless I feel safe.
Oh, believe me, I get it. I just don’t think this is an instance where it’s worth worrying about. If someone thinks one of my photos I allow VE to host is worth bothering with in any way to attempt to make a buck, I’ll be impressed, flattered, and mostly shocked. :wink:

milford moore

Post by milford moore » 10 Feb 2019 17:37

Hey, Gogie55...right on, man. I agree with you - although if I had my druthers I'd prefer my vintage LPs to be as free of noise as possible. I've always taken care of my records and last weekend I was spinning a couple of the late Colleen Peterson's LPs that I bought in the late 1970s. They still sound fab. (I still have one of the first two LPs I ever bought: Anne Murray's "Talk it Over in the Morning" on the Capitol label. How Canadian is that?!. The other album was Gordon Lightfoot's "Lightfoot", but it's gone walk-about somewhere. Again, how Canuckian, eh!. LOL)

Cheers!
milford moore