I quit, no more new vinyl.

name that tune
stan106

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by stan106 » 10 Apr 2019 23:41

buy original recorded records and clean them you will be surprised and remember all records are not the same

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 10 Apr 2019 23:51

stan106 wrote:
10 Apr 2019 23:41
buy original recorded records and clean them you will be surprised and remember all records are not the same
That's true! Likely why some of us pay attn to vinyl stamps/numbering since not even all the same original records are the same...even accounting for varying amount of 'previously enjoyed playing'. I have 2 copies of a Thomas Dolby LP and though both sound good the early press sounds GREAT.

milford moore

Post by milford moore » 11 Apr 2019 18:35

I just had to weigh in on this even though the topic of old/original pressings vs new pressings has been discussed to the nth degree. I've purchased 7 or 8 new LPs within the last two years and ended up returning almost all of them because of surface noise and overall crappy sound - and I'm certainly no audiophile. I feel I must concur with the member who wrote, "I quit. No more new vinyl" - at least until the pressing plants get their act together and institute some decent quality control. Like Stan106, I seek out good, original pressings and clean them. I also have a great many albums that I bought in the 1970s and 1980s that were/are well looked after and still sound great - and I reckon they will for many years to come. Hope this situation changes within the next couple of years but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers!
milford moore

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 11 Apr 2019 19:24

Agreed with Milford. Most new pressings I’ve bought aren’t all that great. The problem with the older stuff is figuring out which one is worth the investment even with community ratings like Discogs. There can be a bewildering number of pressings and some command pretty high prices.

For example: I defy anyone to easily identify the better pressings of LED Zeppelin IV. I, at least, don’t have that kind of time.

For those familiar with it, the analog reissue of My Bloody Valentine’s “Loveless” which came out a year or two ago is the standout among new pressings. Sadly, they only did a limited run and they are now quite expensive. But it might be the best sounding record I own.

It’s stunning.

And my system’s not even that great by the standards of what I see in the Show Is Your Listening Area thread. I can only imagine what it would sound like on better equipment. Sadly, it seems to be the exception. Then again, Kevin Shields is obsessive about his work and it took like five years to complete. Still, if you can find a copy, to quote Ferris Buehler, “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” And play it LOUD.

Thankfully, I preordered it and got two copies taking a chance it would be the real deal, and it was. I paid a pittance compared to what it goes for now. Which sucks. But law of supply and demand I guess.

I wish I’d gotten into vinyl way earlier. It’s pretty expensive now compared to the 90s when people couldn’t give it away (as has been well-documented here by those of you ahead of the curve). Child of the 80s here, so I went long on CDs. Oh well.