I quit, no more new vinyl.

name that tune
Gravitar8
Canada

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Gravitar8 » 10 Feb 2019 19:14

Recently bought the Soul Cages new vinyl (I think it was an east European pressing..Hungary?). Having listened to the Q-sound encoded CD back in the 1990s a LOT, I decided to take a chance on a 15$ eBay listing. The new LP arrived within 2 weeks and I saved the first spin until a short while ago. It sounds fantastic and is perhaps one of my top 10 sounding LPs. Did I get lucky or are others buying new vinyl unlucky? You tell me....

milford moore

Post by milford moore » 10 Feb 2019 19:36

Hi, Gravitar8...I think you got lucky. I bought 6 new LPs last year - Annie Lennox, Norah Jones, Lee Ann Womack - just to name three. I had to return all of them except a Lake Street Dive album. Terrible sound and lots of surface noise. There's just no quality control and the powers that be just pump 'em out to take advantage of the renewed popularity of vinyl. I don't know if I'll buy new again - at least not until things change in terms of QC.

Cheers!
milford moore

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 10 Feb 2019 19:45

B U M M E R though I can't say I'm completely surprised. Cutting vinyl was (is) a craft /artform. Then there is the facility cleanliness factor and the quality (virginity) of vinyl. When it's maximum profit at the helm corners are cut. Maybe I should stick with the used (original releases) market or stay with new European LP's? Especially when new vinyl here in Ontario is hovering between 30-40$ plus taxes.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 10 Feb 2019 21:33

Thanks for everything you do to maintain this community, JaS. If you can make any money using my amazing images, please have at it. :wink:

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 11 Feb 2019 13:48

South Central Kentucky? Tell the Everly brother that's still living hello from me. Seriously, you do not have internet? My problem in south central KY has always been cell phone service was suspect. One time while quail hunting on one of the Peabody Mines my fuel pump burnt out. With no cell service, I had to hitch a ride to Central City and then get a tow vehicle from there to my Tahoe with two cold bird dogs caged in the back happy to se me return.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 11 Feb 2019 14:28

Sterling1 wrote:
11 Feb 2019 13:48
South Central Kentucky? Tell the Everly brother that's still living hello from me. Seriously, you do not have internet? My problem in south central KY has always been cell phone service was suspect. One time while quail hunting on one of the Peabody Mines my fuel pump burnt out. With no cell service, I had to hitch a ride to Central City and then get a tow vehicle from there to my Tahoe with two cold bird dogs caged in the back happy to se me return.
Can't wait to return to the country. Once had 50 acres a few miles outside Paris, TN (somewhat ironic for a frenchman) and it was heaven. Except for the internet... We had to get it through a satellite to get any kind of decent speed. A bigger dish than the tv one and quite expensive at that time. On the other hand, never had a problem with cell phone service although I worked all over my county (Henry) which is mostly rural.

swede71
Sweden

Post by swede71 » 08 Apr 2019 18:38

Most of the new records i buy are warped.I prefer the old cheap records pressed in Germany.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 08 Apr 2019 20:19

I am buying records very selectively these days. Most of the stuff in my wheelhouse is 80s and 90s Alternative which isn’t really worth investing in from a sonic or financial standpoint. At this point, I’m trying to educate myself about jazz which I am admittedly a neophyte. I’m frankly out of my depth since when I go into a record store, I can’t say, “I want this”, I can only say, “I like Bill Evans, but I hate ‘Portraits of Spain’”. The proprietor doesn’t typically find that helpful.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 08 Apr 2019 20:56

reynolds617 wrote:
08 Apr 2019 20:19
I’m frankly out of my depth since when I go into a record store, I can’t say, “I want this”, I can only say, “I like Bill Evans, but I hate ‘Portraits of Spain’”. The proprietor doesn’t typically find that helpful.
I'm somewhat in the same situation. Somewhat only because I've been listening to jazz for some years now but I still can't say what I am looking for. Although, I must admit, that's pretty true about any genre... :D

Don't despair though. Unlike classical and way more like rock and pop, jazz is artist or band based which makes it fairly easy to get around. Also, there is a great documentary that Netflix used to have and may still have: Jazz, by Ken Burns. I learned a lot from that series and although it is 10 DVDs, I found it well worth the time.

Some jazz lovers found it too light, or this or that, but for someone like me some years back and someone like you today, it is a fabulous introduction to that music.

There is also YT. I use it a lot to discover new artists or bands. I start with someone I know and like, like say Bill Evans, then I pick unknowns in the suggested videos. Found some wonderful stuff in that manner.

Another possible way to find more people you like is by searching by instrument. Bill Evans is a pianist, search out other jazz pianists and see what transpires.

Last but not least, do not throw away an artist because you do not like one album. You may like another one. Don't know what Portraits of Spain is but I have Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis and it the only album of his I enjoy although he is a god to some people.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 08 Apr 2019 21:49

Sorry, I did mean Sketches of Spain and thanks for the advice.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 09 Apr 2019 16:31

reynolds617 wrote:
08 Apr 2019 21:49
Sorry, I did mean Sketches of Spain and thanks for the advice.
You're welcome and have a good time exploring. That's the main reason to listen to music.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 09 Apr 2019 17:07

Agreed. As an aficionado principally of 80s and 90s alternative, when it comes to jazz I am totally out of my element. Which for me is not the norm. I know so much useless stuff about that genre and those decades it could fill a library. That was the music I cut my teeth on. You had to search it out back in the day. I’d drive 45 minutes to an hour to get a UK import from the one store in the state that carried it. #old

Jazz is a new frontier.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 09 Apr 2019 18:23

reynolds617 wrote:
09 Apr 2019 17:07
Jazz is a new frontier.
So glad it is not the last frontier. :D

There is so much good music out there. At my age I'm still discovering plenty of wonderful music including some that's been around for years. A few months ago someone told me about this crazy musician that I could like and I liked him so much that I now have eight of his albums. :D

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 09 Apr 2019 18:31

That’s how the Bill Evans wave broke on me.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 09 Apr 2019 18:40

Good s**t happens!