I quit, no more new vinyl.

name that tune
Post Reply
Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 667
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 17:28
Contact:

I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Sterling1 » 30 Dec 2018 17:39

Yesterday I noticed new LPs at a Mall Department Store where I was shopping. One album caught my eye, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. I recalled the pleasure that album gave me back in 1977. Well, no longer having the original, I purchased the new one, looking forward to great sound. After all, LPs are made with concern for quality today, right? What a disappointment, snap, crackle, and pop galore. This made me think what is the point of buying new, when the recording needs to be digitized, like the used LPs I buy, to get rid of the pops; but, I'm paying 4 times as much as I'd need to pay for it used. At any rate, that was the last straw, I'll stick to buying used and digitize them for pop free entertainment, as well as convenience and mobility. Record producers, take notice, I am not the only one disappointed that LP's cannot all be produced without defect. Seems, to get what I want from LPs I'll need to buy hybrid SACDs. Might save some money too.

VinyldechezPierre
senior member
senior member
France
Posts: 511
Joined: 12 Mar 2016 23:09
Location: France

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 30 Dec 2018 17:47

Pops and some other noises are part of the vinyl experience.

If you can't deal with them, right, stop buying vinyl!

And don't ever get into 78's.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 667
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 17:28
Contact:

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Sterling1 » 30 Dec 2018 17:56

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
30 Dec 2018 17:47
Pops and some other noises are part of the vinyl experience.

If you can't deal with them, right, stop buying vinyl!

And don't ever get into 78's.
Oh no, I can deal with pops, I digitize, job done, no distractions; plus, when digitized and placed in my iTunes Library I can equalize to taste too. The thing is why buy new if defects are a certainty? Might as well get the SACD/CD and save money to boot. BTW, I've got plenty of LP's which are absent any sign of being defective, but none of those were purchased recently.

MasterCylinder
member
member
Posts: 127
Joined: 20 Sep 2011 21:22
Location: Great state of Texas

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by MasterCylinder » 30 Dec 2018 18:38

Sometimes ....is new really new and what does that mean? I have a first press of that disk and it's AMAZING !

doneth1978
United States of America
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Dec 2018 21:49

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by doneth1978 » 30 Dec 2018 18:55

I have a 3-LP set of guitar/lute concerti played by Julian Bream without a pop or a tick on any of six sides. It's called quality control. It was rare enough back then, but the people who sell vinyl to faddists in the 21st century sure ain't gonna bother with it.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 667
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 17:28
Contact:

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Sterling1 » 30 Dec 2018 19:34

doneth1978 wrote:
30 Dec 2018 18:55
I have a 3-LP set of guitar/lute concerti played by Julian Bream without a pop or a tick on any of six sides. It's called quality control. It was rare enough back then, but the people who sell vinyl to faddists in the 21st century sure ain't gonna bother with it.
Yes, indeed, same experience here. Let's boycott, maybe not. I will take my new recording to the store where I purchased it tomorrow for a refund however. And, if I do buy any more new LPs which are defective, I'll take them back too. One thing for sure, either the store will quit selling to me or I'll quit buying from them. If we all asked for our money back, perhaps the producer's would introduce some QC.

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2995
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 18:21

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Spinner45 » 30 Dec 2018 19:52

My original copy of Dark Side of the Moon is pop-free dead silent.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 667
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 17:28
Contact:

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Sterling1 » 30 Dec 2018 20:19

Spinner45 wrote:
30 Dec 2018 19:52
My original copy of Dark Side of the Moon is pop-free dead silent.
It's how they all should be. I think my copy of DS is pop free too.

dysmike
senior member
senior member
Germany
Posts: 343
Joined: 21 Jul 2018 01:20

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by dysmike » 30 Dec 2018 21:23

Both my 3rd pressing and the most recent repress are silent. As are the discs in the Police boxed set...

I've had a number of new pressing that just needed a good cleaning, especially with the dry air this time of year...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 18897
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 06:27

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 02:24

I love original pressings...Most of my records are original pressings...That said, there are new records that come out on vinyl and some so rare that you have to take whatever pressings you can get, esp. if you're a completist...It's a catch-22...I think if I hated reissues, I'd still go used vinyl before going the download/SACD route...I'm just an old purist, I guess...And don't forget that a lot depends on the label and manufacturer who pressed the records, too...Certain labels like Light In The Attic or Sundazed, for instance, I will buy sight unseen! :D

circularvibes
long player
long player
Posts: 1121
Joined: 24 Sep 2010 02:09
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by circularvibes » 31 Dec 2018 03:19

My local record chain, Sunrise records, who also just happen to control distribution for Record Store Day in Canada, had two Crosley models out with records on the platter for display. One was the new pressing of Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland. It had the tell tale scrapes of an idiot grinding the needle back and forth, creating artistic arcs in the vinyl. I am quite surprised the needles were still intact. What upsets me is that the staff think the Crosley is a "good vinyl player" (cringe) and they regularly play new records in the store on it as an "event". At that location, they seem to change the display disc every once in a while. I first saw an 80's press of Rumours on it. The condition was about the same as the Jimi. When people are buying a Crosley then paying half as much just for a single LP, in 180 gram no less, I have to wonder where the brains are, and also wonder why record companies bother to put any quality in the discs at all. I should say though that I have probably bought around 20 new LP's in the last 4 - 5 years and returned only two. One had a chemical spill on only the inner sleeve and vinyl, the other was scratched and sounded like a bad thruft store purchase. Both sellers happily replaced them as they were as horrified as I was with them.

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2995
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 18:21

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Spinner45 » 31 Dec 2018 03:48

circularvibes wrote:
31 Dec 2018 03:19
What upsets me is that the staff think the Crosley is a "good vinyl player" (cringe) and they regularly play new records in the store on it as an "event". At that location, they seem to change the display disc every once in a while. I first saw an 80's press of Rumours on it. The condition was about the same as the Jimi. When people are buying a Crosley then paying half as much just for a single LP, in 180 gram no less, I have to wonder where the brains are, and also wonder why record companies bother to put any quality in the discs at all.
What I highlighted is - the mentality of "today".
It's plain ignorance, lack of sense, uneducated, superficiality. - they don't know better, they grew up without the same fundamentals that us "elders" were taught.
With the "recent" term of "vinyl", came those hoardes of silly-ish children and their earbud style of living.
Welcome to "Todays World" #-o

Slavikcc
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 583
Joined: 27 Jul 2016 02:26

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Slavikcc » 31 Dec 2018 14:09

circularvibes wrote:
31 Dec 2018 03:19
My local record chain, Sunrise records, who also just happen to control distribution for Record Store Day in Canada, had two Crosley models out with records on the platter for display. One was the new pressing of Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland. It had the tell tale scrapes of an idiot grinding the needle back and forth, creating artistic arcs in the vinyl. I am quite surprised the needles were still intact. What upsets me is that the staff think the Crosley is a "good vinyl player" (cringe) and they regularly play new records in the store on it as an "event". At that location, they seem to change the display disc every once in a while. I first saw an 80's press of Rumours on it. The condition was about the same as the Jimi. When people are buying a Crosley then paying half as much just for a single LP, in 180 gram no less, I have to wonder where the brains are, and also wonder why record companies bother to put any quality in the discs at all. I should say though that I have probably bought around 20 new LP's in the last 4 - 5 years and returned only two. One had a chemical spill on only the inner sleeve and vinyl, the other was scratched and sounded like a bad thruft store purchase. Both sellers happily replaced them as they were as horrified as I was with them.
Yup, Sunrise Records uses those junk low-end record players and their employees simply shill these wares to keep up with their sales metrics. I can't say I'm surprised by this so I'm spending good money at legit local record stores than to the soulless big-chain shops.

Sterling1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 667
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 17:28
Contact:

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Sterling1 » 31 Dec 2018 14:52

vinyl master wrote:
31 Dec 2018 02:24
I love original pressings...Most of my records are original pressings...That said, there are new records that come out on vinyl and some so rare that you have to take whatever pressings you can get, esp. if you're a completist...It's a catch-22...I think if I hated reissues, I'd still go used vinyl before going the download/SACD route...I'm just an old purist, I guess...And don't forget that a lot depends on the label and manufacturer who pressed the records, too...Certain labels like Light In The Attic or Sundazed, for instance, I will buy sight unseen! :D
I'm now convinced that I am more likely to get a satisfying music listening experience from hybrid and multi-channel SACDs than from music stored on LPs. I know that's a very generalized statement/attitude; yet, pursuit of excellence for me seems to be a fools errand in chasing pleasure from LPs when disappointment is the only thing I've regularly captured.

Dr_Wu
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 97
Joined: 26 Jan 2018 14:24

Re: I quit, no more new vinyl.

Post by Dr_Wu » 31 Dec 2018 15:29

I'm a fan of the progressive bluegrass trio Nickel Creek (Chris Thile, Sara Watkins and Sean Watkins), whose record label is Nonesuch. I recently bought 180g pressings of Sara's self-titled 2009 album and Nickel Creek's "A Dotted Line" (2014). I returned the first, a 2-disc set, due to excessive warp of both records. The Nickel Creek album also has a warp, though much less noticeable, so I've kept it. None of the records had pops or clicks, but watching my cartridge going up and down was giving me mal de mer.

Are companies having a hard time making flat records, or is it just my bad luck?

Post Reply