Unusual warpage

name that tune
Jdog1958
United States of America

Unusual warpage

Post by Jdog1958 » 23 Sep 2018 06:05

Hello!
Recently picked a copy of the Bee Gee's Main Course (ok, I hear you snickering!) at the used record store. It was out back when I was in school and hadn't heard it in decades.

Anyway, I find the the vinyl is actually 'cupped'! I play one side and the center of the record is arched up maybe a 1/4' or so, turn it over and only the label is touching the mat. Of course this causes issues with slipping. I can weigh down the center on one side but little I can do when the cup is turn up. Any ideas what to do? I'm only out $4 if I can't play it, but would like to listen to it again.

Thanks

poutrew

Re: Unusual warpage

Post by poutrew » 23 Sep 2018 20:03

Well, I know my suggestion may be considered sacrilegious on this board, but this has happened to me in the past. When the cup is 'up' I use a very heavy turntable weight to force it flat. For the reverse side, the warp was so bad I used a 'DJ' cart set at 8 grams so it wouldn't skip the track. Then I record both sides and, once I get a good copy, ditch the record and play the recording. As far as damaging the cart, I used to joke that if you ever fell off the Empire State Building and wanted to live, just use your trusty Ortofon DJ cart like a pick axe to dig into the building's side wall and slow you down enough to survive the fall... :)

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 24 Sep 2018 14:32

I bought main course when it first came out and have always really enjoyed it. Normally when I have a record that has an annoying problem I just keep an eye out for a good copy. I looked on ebay and you can get a near mint copy for $20 or less, some still in the original cellophane.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 24 Sep 2018 19:52

Take it back to where you bought it and get something else.
If it's unplayable it's unplayable.

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 25 Sep 2018 17:37

Well there's the method of putting the disk between 2 sheets of glass (the weight of the glass should be enough) then letting it sit in the Sun for a week or 2. But really you can probably turn an old tin can into a rocket ship to the Moon but having spent a Trillion dollars getting it in shape to do this you might as well have just bought an Atlas 5 to begin with. Take the warped thing back, get your 4 bucks back, add $15 to the $4 and buy a mint copy. You'll enjoy hearing a fresh copy with fresh ears.
indi

RockerFrank

Post by RockerFrank » 26 Sep 2018 10:52

Yeah, about the glass plates + heat method, might work if the temperature is just right, otherwise it's destruction, as I and others have shared in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=41070&start=15