Your Top 5 Fave Albums: Would You Pay More for a Great Copy?

name that tune
davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Re: Your Top 5 Fave Albums: Would You Pay More for a Great C

Post by davidsss » 19 Aug 2018 10:22

I have gone out to get better pressings of a couple of albums: I got an original US pressing of Exile on Main St and also got an original mono pressing of the Doors self titled debut. Worth it? Well, the Exile on Main St wasn't a great improvement on the other copy I had, but I do like the original cover. The Doors mono pressing was very much worth it, a revelation, such a great mix on the original mono.

I've also bought some hard to find records even though they can be got fairly cheaply on CD. Mainly these were a couple of Patti Smith albums: Twelve and one other. Worth it? Hell yeah, I want records not CDs and they are great.

I will say though that I only buy records I want to play. The original cost is long forgotten but I know I can enjoy these records when I want to. Won't buy a record just as a collectible.

DS

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 19 Aug 2018 13:35

davidsss wrote:I will say though that I only buy records I want to play. The original cost is long forgotten but I know I can enjoy these records when I want to. Won't buy a record just as a collectible.

DS
This is my philosophy exactly. I’m not looking to resell anything I buy unless I take a chance on something that looks interesting that I’m not familiar with. If I don’t like it, I won’t keep it. I’m not looking to profit from the endeavor beyond musical enjoyment and sometimes value for money seems not worth the satisfaction of getting a good deal over the satisfaction the music provides.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

drywhitetoast

Post by drywhitetoast » 19 Aug 2018 15:58

For sure and I have done this with a few.
DSOTM is one.

lbls1

Post by lbls1 » 19 Aug 2018 18:34

If I already had a copy of a favorite album, then I would not pay a high price for another one. However, if I wanted the vinyl version of a cd then I would consider buying one. I'd pay a little extra for a mint example, but definitely not a ridiculously unheard of price.

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 19 Aug 2018 22:54

billshurv wrote:Ok I'll get the full villagers with pitchforks for this, but if I have something on CD I'll only search out the vinyl for research purposes (which I have done in a couple of cases to confirm things). In general there is not a lot of point unless the CD transfer was poorly done. At least IMO.
Ok everyone knows this and is probably sick of hearing it but vinyl does sound different from CD's. Whether that sound is 'better' is a matter of personal taste. I've seen efforts to quantify it with histogramic measures of Db levels, sound spectrum maps etc... but really it's ultimately almost totally a subjective call. And whether this 'betterness' is worth the extra dough is again a personal call.
I've paid at the most $70 for a single disk of vinyl. It had to be truely special for me to pay that, but I've done it a couple of times. I frequently pay around $45 for disks. That's the level to which I think the 'betterness' is worth it. However having just got a new CD playing system; new Amp, new hi-rez CD player, new 'good' RCA cables, new preamp for the Subwoofer that allows me to adjust clipping, I'm of course really into CD's in a big way.
This is a total surprise in my life as I've for a long time had my very large collection of CD's stashed away in a cubord. I thought of them as unfortunate inferior artifacts of music that had the bad luck to have been recorded in a time when a misapprehended medium was popular. I waited in hopeless hope for a time when this music would be re-released on vinyl now that humanity has realized the error of it's ways.
Shock!! and Awe!! I'm now actively seeking out CD's, listening carefully, and appreciating how really good they sound. Turns out it wasn't the CD's which sounded so $#itty, it was my system. This is a truly dazzling realization for me!!
So to finally address the point of the threads topic here, Yes!! I will and recently have paid quite a lot for good copies of albums. The twist is, that what I consider to be good copies are CD's!! SACD CD's and music BluRay's to be specific. And as the releases on these formats tend to be classics, I'm paying around $35 to $45 for music I have on several formats, vinyl, tape, CD's. Things I never EVER thought I'd want to listen to again. As a result I'm becoming reaquainted with music I used to love, and am now experiencing again the reason that I loved this music to begin with. It's totally changed my path in music collecting to the point that I've actually canceled a couple of orders for vinyl on back-order. Things I was almost hyperventilatingly eager to have, I now want only the CD!! Well as you know this is a betrayal of some fundamental belief systems that some people (like me) hold as truths which like the American constitution seem to be "self evident"
Hmmmm, well,,, I think I'll put on a CD now, sit in the sweet spot and focus.
Take care & Vive La Revolucion!!
indi

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 20 Aug 2018 00:25

IndigoRock2001 wrote: Ok everyone knows this and is probably sick of hearing it but vinyl does sound different from CD's. Whether that sound is 'better' is a matter of personal taste. I've seen efforts to quantify it with histogramic measures of Db levels, sound spectrum maps etc... but really it's ultimately almost totally a subjective call. And whether this 'betterness' is worth the extra dough is again a personal call.
Not better, preferable maybe, enjoyable certainly. Actually the quantifying stuff is good fun. Trying to work out what is the essence of the 'vinyl sound' is the first step to correcting it. Being able to strip out all the 'adds' to the sound means you can then put them back to taste. Keeps me entertained anyway :).

Shock!! and Awe!! I'm now actively seeking out CD's, listening carefully, and appreciating how really good they sound. Turns out it wasn't the CD's which sounded so $#itty, it was my system. This is a truly dazzling realization for me!!
There are some cases where the CD mastering is more compressed than the vinyl, which is sad but the way it is right now. I still wouldn't pay £30 for a digitally sourced record but people seem to and I'm not about to judge.

For some of the classical I collect I've started going for CD box sets as UMG and warner are doing some great box sets for under £2 a CD. I can't pick up the originals for that. So I furtle out stuff that hasn't been re-released on vinyl, of which there is a lot.

But the vinyl ritual remains in the house. It's the line drawn once supper is over, kids are asleep and time for wife and I to unwind. For that it's perfect.

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 20 Aug 2018 12:03

I prefer records and I do think they sound better, but CDs get a worse rap than they deserve because of the woeful mixing you get on a lot of them. Compressed, on a format that has more dynamic range? Bloody stupid. Plenty of other examples of how CDs can, and do, sound worse than they could. I'll still buy records in preference to CDs and even pay a premium to do so, but it is a preference and CDs can, and do, sound great if done properly.

DS

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 20 Aug 2018 12:50

Preferring them is fine. That's a conscious choice not a dogma.

I've just ordered a CD of something I have on vinyl. For research :). Sad man that I am I have started collecting albums that score highly on the DR database. At least the ones that I might want to listen to. One of these is the George Benson album 'take 5' which was originally released as 'Bad Benson'. The LP has a DR of 24, the 1988 CD 14 and the later reissues 12. that is a stupendous difference so I reckon £3.50 to get the CD is worth it for research purposes.

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 20 Aug 2018 15:50

BTW on the stone roses I noticed this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Stone-Ro ... 3109212449

£18 shipping, but might go for not silly money. A few more still at £5. I'm sure one of us on here would be willing to precheck one before the postage is spent for transatlantic.

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 23 Aug 2018 01:31

I buy CD'S because they are cheap to ship, no scratches, ticks or pops, are easier to use and far more convenient.

It's a fact that as much as I love vinyl it's cheaper and easier to buy good used CD's of almost anything.

Having said that I got 45 used vinyl albums for cheap last Sunday for a United States dollar and 47 cents each. Among these was a first pressing(1973) of Dark Side of the Moon on the Harvest label which was in rough shape but it cleaned up well. I have a UK Harvest 1986 CD of this album to compare with which was rated as a great CD transfer. I shall see how they compare in sound quality. I don't have the same albums on both CD and vinyl as a general rule of mine so this is new for me.

There were some other great albums in that lot to compare CD'S with from Pink Floyd(Wish You Were Here which I also have on CD),Rumours(I haven't checked if it was a first pressing) and many more that I don't have on CD.

That Lot was a steal of a deal.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 23 Aug 2018 02:08

Nigel Gomez wrote:Among these was a first pressing(1973) of Dark Side of the Moon on the Harvest label which was in rough shape but it cleaned up well. I have a UK Harvest 1986 CD of this album to compare with which was rated as a great CD transfer. I shall see how they compare in sound quality.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there's a dedicated DSOTM thread. If I'm right, would love to hear the findings of your A/B comparison there.

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 23 Aug 2018 09:24

I'll pay extra for a great copy of a favourite, up to 5 €.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 24 Aug 2018 20:09

Well, I was able to find a much cheaper version of the pressing I was looking at (about 50% cheaper to be exact), so I pulled the trigger. As someone above said, soon the cost will long-since be forgotten. Hopefully it sounds as good as the reviews on Discogs and I don't get hit by a bus before it arrives.

Brick
United States of America

Post by Brick » 29 Aug 2018 19:58

I've been replacing some later pressings with originals because they just sound better.
Not true of all original pressings, but the early Van Morrison and Grateful Dead albums on green labels sound completely different than the later 70s pressings. And obviously paying more for the OP than I could buy the later ones for.

Also, just purchased several of the Steven Wilson Jethro Tull remixes because the OP I already own sounded muddy. The remix cost more, but is light years better sonically.

I really only do it for albums I listen to really often, but I do it.