Your Top 5 Fave Albums: Would You Pay More for a Great Copy?

name that tune
reynolds617
United States of America

Your Top 5 Fave Albums: Would You Pay More for a Great Copy?

Post by reynolds617 » 18 Aug 2018 16:34

This thread is obviously not for people who only cruise the dollar bins (not that there is anything wrong with it; I mainly try to get the best value for money as my budget for records isn’t exorbitant and my wife grits her teeth whenever I get a square, flat package in the mail :wink: ).

All that being said, I’m curious if those of you with “normal” budgets have indulged by paying top dollar for (according to researching various pressings) the best sounding pressing (and a great condition copy therof) for one of your Top 5 favorite albums.

I am considering doing this very thing for one of my Top 5 favorite albums ever and splashing out far more than I’ve ever paid for one title by about 4x for a NM copy of what is generallly agreed upon as the best-sounding pressing available. Mind you, it’s a 2x LP, but still... that’s a lot of used copies of lesser records.

My philosophy is, I’d be happier with a smaller collection of stuff I truly love and will play than a bloated collection of many things I never will. I know everyone’s price sensitivity is different obviously. This would be an indulgence, but for music I truly love I may just bite the bullet. Curious if any of you have faced this dilemma and what you decided.

Caveats: I don’t plan to spend any money on system upgrades until I have to replace my cartridge when it wears out in a few years, so that’s not a consideration. I also don’t currently own a copy of this album on vinyl but have gone through at least 3 copies of various CD releases. So yeah, I like it.

If you’d care to also list your Top 5 for fun, have at it. I’m always interested to hear what music people truly love! :D

billshurv
broken record

Re: Your Top 5 Fave Albums: Would You Pay More for a Great C

Post by billshurv » 18 Aug 2018 22:15

Short answer: nope. Too many records I don't own to worry about getting another copy of one I already have. On very rare occasions where my original was at the point of unplayable (inherited from siblings then played to death through my teen years) I got another, but that was only two cases.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 19 Aug 2018 00:05

Yeah, see I DON’T have a copy of this album which is why I’m even considering it.

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 19 Aug 2018 00:18

If you don't have it, how can it be a fave?

With reference to the bloat. I might have a few albums I wont listen to often and my wife would be happier if I kept the vinyl to a couple of hundred that I listen to a lot but my musical tastes are too diverse for that to happen :)

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 19 Aug 2018 00:30

billshurv wrote:If you don't have it, how can it be a fave?

With reference to the bloat. I might have a few albums I wont listen to often and my wife would be happier if I kept the vinyl to a couple of hundred that I listen to a lot but my musical tastes are too diverse for that to happen :)
Read my caveats. I’ve owned 3 separate copies on cd since 1989. I don’t own it on vinyl. :D

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 19 Aug 2018 00:35

Ok I'll get the full villagers with pitchforks for this, but if I have something on CD I'll only search out the vinyl for research purposes (which I have done in a couple of cases to confirm things). In general there is not a lot of point unless the CD transfer was poorly done. At least IMO.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 19 Aug 2018 00:40

Yea, there's a particular LP I'm always sort of on the hunt for.. One of these days, I'll just bite the bullet and pay market value for it. I've had it on vinyl (worn out), tape, and on CD (and that remaster sucks). Getting a good sounding version, won't be cheap (we're not talking multiple hundreds of US dollars here, but still..)

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 19 Aug 2018 00:48

billshurv wrote:Ok I'll get the full villagers with pitchforks for this, but if I have something on CD I'll only search out the vinyl for research purposes (which I have done in a couple of cases to confirm things). In general there is not a lot of point unless the CD transfer was poorly done. At least IMO.
I suppose I could spring for a decent CD player (I haven’t owned one that wasn’t in my car for over 20 years and I do own nearly 2000 cds as a child of the 80s. But since I made (for me) a considerable investment in this system in order to play vinyl I am considering this other investment. Again, very few records I’d pay silly money for and fortunately the rest were far more affordable (none pricier than about $30).

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 19 Aug 2018 02:29

I ripped all my CDs to a server. Best thing I ever did! The server feeds 3 systems round the house. No point limiting yourself to just vinyl in your main system. Can you give an example of the sort of albums you are considering a larger investment in?

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 19 Aug 2018 02:48

billshurv wrote:I ripped all my CDs to a server. Best thing I ever did! The server feeds 3 systems round the house. No point limiting yourself to just vinyl in your main system. Can you give an example of the sort of albums you are considering a larger investment in?
Someday I’d like to take that project on, but with two young kids who play sports and both of us working I simply don’t have the time nowadays.

The album I’m looking at is the Stone Roses’ debut. The reissues haven’t really received high marks, so I’m looking at earlier versions that have. I’ve learned that reissued/remastered doesn’t necessarily mean “better”. I naively assumed it did, but have learned since getting my turntable after collecting vinyl slowly for 10 years leading up to it that that’s often not the case. I don’t always need the best available, but for the top tier titles (for me), I’m willing to consider splashing out one time.

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 19 Aug 2018 03:04

It's like eating an elephant. You do it a bit at a time :)

I had to do some digging but the Stone Roses first album, despite being 1989 WAS recorded onto 24 track tape. So it may just be that and AAA version is out there. Beyond that no idea how much that would go for as that is the period that I was completely out of touch with new music.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 19 Aug 2018 03:06

First,you'd have to define "more". I will pay good money for a great copy of a favorite album, but I will not pay some arbitrary bid up amount for virtually any album. There are surely a few rarities I might encounter that I will pay, say $10 over asking, but since I shop locally, the asking price is generally determined by local demand, so pricing tends to be close to reasonable. I can't really think of an absolute must have album that I will compromise that principle of fair price for fair return of product. I have no compassion for those who feel they absolutely "have to have" some item. It's not in my vocabulary. In way of paraphrasing a popular expression..."He who dies with the most toys...still dies." Not of any real importance. Caveat emptor... :roll:

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 19 Aug 2018 03:56

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:First,you'd have to define "more". I will pay good money for a great copy of a favorite album, but I will not pay some arbitrary bid up amount for virtually any album. There are surely a few rarities I might encounter that I will pay, say $10 over asking, but since I shop locally, the asking price is generally determined by local demand, so pricing tends to be close to reasonable. I can't really think of an absolute must have album that I will compromise that principle of fair price for fair return of product. I have no compassion for those who feel they absolutely "have to have" some item. It's not in my vocabulary. In way of paraphrasing a popular expression..."He who dies with the most toys...still dies." Not of any real importance. Caveat emptor... :roll:
OK, either my original question wasn’t phrased clearly enough or you’ve missed my point. I’m not out there willing to overpay for everything to have a huge collection of the best pressings available.

I AM willing to consider it for a handful of titles and this happens to be one such. Shopping locally for this title simply isn’t an option since they were never that big here in the US. Therefore, I have to go online and pay a premium if I want a top-quality copy of something I will play quite a bit. “Fair price for fair return of product” is entirely subjective so maybe the question is unanswerable. Either you’re in the “I’d never pay an amount that makes me wince no matter how much I love it” camp or you’re in the “Yeah, it was a lot, but I’ve gotten so much enjoyment from it, it was worth it” camp. I think I know which you fall into.

citizenarcane

Post by citizenarcane » 19 Aug 2018 04:36

I paid a considerable amount of money (ok $200 US) for a limited (to 300 - never remastered or re-released) vinyl pressing - used - in NM/NM condition, this was/is still the market price for the album. I wouldn't hesitate doing this purchase again as it was on my bucket list.

Was it worth it.....yup.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 19 Aug 2018 09:32

I've done it with a few of my favourites...

I only ever had Springsteen's 'The Rising' on CD, being an early 2000s release, just assumed it was never release on vinyl. Found it was and jumped at a sealed copy for about €200. Worth every penny.

I do have multiple copies of albums such as some of the Dire Straits and Marillion early catalogue as my originals are now only rated Good. Also I might buy re-masters too to see what the difference is to an already owned copy but that's limited to my favourite artists and is part of the 'collector' inside me and mainly applies to my Marillion collection.

I have about 4 versions of Marillion's Misplaced Childhood across CD and vinyl and wouldn't sell any of them.