the home of the turntable

Repackaged?

name that tune

Repackaged?

Postby Sterling1 » 18 Aug 2018 13:44

Yesterday I purchased "Waltz for Debby / Bill Evans Trio / Riverside Records from a bookstore down the street. This morning I cleaned the record and played it, noticing a persistent popping sound at each revolution. Upon inspection using a 3X magnifier in bright light, I discovered that the record was scratched. This makes me think the recording was repacked. At any rate, the LP is going back to the bookstore this morning. I'm disappointed; and, I'm now also a little leery about this vendor.
Sterling1

United States of America

Re: Repackaged?

Postby reynolds617 » 18 Aug 2018 21:09

How did you clean it? It’s possible that could be the source. Not likely, but possible. For example, I use a vacuum RCM and they recommend replacing the tube every 200 records or so due to wear and rear and debris accumulation. Seems like a lot of effort to repackage an album but who knows. I’d explain the situation and see if they’ll offer you a credit or refund.
reynolds617

United States of America

Postby Sterling1 » 19 Aug 2018 00:03

reynolds617 wrote:How did you clean it? It’s possible that could be the source. Not likely, but possible. For example, I use a vacuum RCM and they recommend replacing the tube every 200 records or so due to wear and rear and debris accumulation. Seems like a lot of effort to repackage an album but who knows. I’d explain the situation and see if they’ll offer you a credit or refund.
I took the record back to the store and they gave me a refund. I cleaned the record with a spin clean and let record air dry. From looking at the scratch it had charactoristics of having been made from a stylus skating in or out across the record.
Sterling1

United States of America

Postby reynolds617 » 19 Aug 2018 00:35

Sterling1 wrote:
reynolds617 wrote:How did you clean it? It’s possible that could be the source. Not likely, but possible. For example, I use a vacuum RCM and they recommend replacing the tube every 200 records or so due to wear and rear and debris accumulation. Seems like a lot of effort to repackage an album but who knows. I’d explain the situation and see if they’ll offer you a credit or refund.
I took the record back to the store and they gave me a refund. I cleaned the record with a spin clean and let record air dry. From looking at the scratch it had charactoristics of having been made from a stylus skating in or out across the record.

Well at least they did the right thing. I’d give them a second chance but not a third if it happens again. Could also be a dodgy supplier and not them if it was repackaged.
reynolds617

United States of America

Postby IndigoRock2001 » 20 Aug 2018 04:46

I recently got a record from a third party vendor on Amazon. It sounded for all the world like a VERY old worn record from the floor of some kids bedroom. I returned it and had to give a reason for the return. I intimated that it sounded like it had been bought at a thrift store and repackaged as new. The seller immediately sent a new copy, and didn't ask for the defective one back. I think the possibility that I would leave a review stating in plain speech that I thought it was a very used record rewrapped to look new scared the hell out of the vendor. This would surely lose them some sales. This is one of the great things about the review options on Amazon and Ebay as vendors seem quite jumpy about getting things right and making one happy. As to the difficulty of rewrapping,,, it's just plastic wrap, not too hard to do, but re: above, I doubt sellers on Ebay and Amazon at least would take the chance of doing it.
indi
IndigoRock2001

United States of America

Return to Music and Records