Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

name that tune
Post Reply
Paisan_Gelato
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 20:55

Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by Paisan_Gelato » 15 Aug 2018 21:19

I recently bought the soundtrack to Gone with the Wind at a record store. Its a set of 45s and is pretty old. Two of the sides won't play all the way to the end. It just slows down to a stop before reaching the end of the song. I don't think its my record player as this doesn't happen with any other records and only occurs with these two sides at the same spot. I've tried researching this, but every forum and article I've read talk about broken turntables that do this with a lot of records. The records aren't in perfect condition, but there aren't any severe scratches, especially at the spot they stop so I don't know what could cause this. I really want to figure it out and fix this to enjoy the whole soundtrack! Does anyone know what could be wrong?

noisefreq
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 719
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 21:04
Location: Independence

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by noisefreq » 16 Aug 2018 15:08

This is intriguing.
What turntable?
It sounds like you have an automatic turntable in which the arm is not lifting off the record when the platter stops.
The two sides that do this, is the run-out groove closer to the center label than the sides that don't do this?

Paisan_Gelato
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 20:55

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by Paisan_Gelato » 15 Sep 2018 00:11

I have a manual Victorola and the run out groove is the same distance from the center as the other sides.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 3542
Joined: 28 Nov 2013 21:17
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by JDJX » 15 Sep 2018 00:19

It might Help if you posted the model number.

Paisan_Gelato
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 20:55

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by Paisan_Gelato » 15 Sep 2018 00:36

I have a Victrola VTA-600B. Heres the link to it https://victrola.com/collections/wood/p ... -turntable

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 3542
Joined: 28 Nov 2013 21:17
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by JDJX » 15 Sep 2018 01:33

A few things...

1) Looking at the video from the link you posted it is not really a manual TT.
It starts automatically when you move the tone arm over the lead in grooves of the LP
So. it probably also has some sort of an auto stop at the end of the LP.

2) If only happens with one LP, it has to be the LP. Even a few mm can make a difference

3) There is usually an adjustment for this on auto stop TTs
However, you would need a service manual for it to know it you even have an adjustment on your TT and I seriously doubt if anyone here has your model TT to Help you on that.

eddie edirol
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 899
Joined: 26 Apr 2011 07:42
Location: New Jersey

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by eddie edirol » 15 Sep 2018 01:40

Like Noisefreq said, this turntable is stopping at the end of these records because the runout groove on this particular record set is closer to the label than your other records, which is triggering the turntable to stop.
There might be an adjustment for this, you would have to do your due diligence to find it.

On the other hqand I would suggest you get a better turntable, used. The one you have is a pretty cheap unit. Better quality turntables have an adjustment for this type of thing.

IndigoRock2001
senior member
senior member
Posts: 263
Joined: 11 Jun 2018 18:26
Location: San Francisco

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 15 Sep 2018 06:44

Paisan_Gelato wrote:I recently bought the soundtrack to Gone with the Wind at a record store. Its a set of 45s and is pretty old. Two of the sides won't play all the way to the end. It just slows down to a stop before reaching the end of the song. I don't think its my record player as this doesn't happen with any other records and only occurs with these two sides at the same spot. I've tried researching this, but every forum and article I've read talk about broken turntables that do this with a lot of records. The records aren't in perfect condition, but there aren't any severe scratches, especially at the spot they stop so I don't know what could cause this. I really want to figure it out and fix this to enjoy the whole soundtrack! Does anyone know what could be wrong?
I mean,,,,, you're joking right?
Gone with the Wind on 45's?
slows down and comes to a stop toward the end of the disk?
You're playing them on a Victerolla?
Is Paisan Gelato your given name?
This has just gotta be a gag, sorry if it's not "Paisan", but I had a subdued snort out of it anyway, so thanks.
You're either the kind of wit that I truly admire or I've just revealed myself to be the mean spirited old koot of this esteemed assemblage of kind helpful people who make this place so great. As John Lennon once said to me, "Don't take any notice if I say something to offend you, I'm not around people very much."
Good Night :)
indi

Paisan_Gelato
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 20:55

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by Paisan_Gelato » 16 Sep 2018 22:01

Thanks JDJK and Eddie Edirol! I'll figure something out. And IndigoRock2001, yes im being genuine lol. Sorry if I come off as ignorant, but this is my first record player and I've had it for less than a year. I'm new to playing music on anything other than a CD or my phone. And "Paisan Gelato" is a play on words of my real name

IndigoRock2001
senior member
senior member
Posts: 263
Joined: 11 Jun 2018 18:26
Location: San Francisco

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 17 Sep 2018 02:11

Paisan_Gelato wrote:Thanks JDJK and Eddie Edirol! I'll figure something out. And IndigoRock2001, yes im being genuine lol. Sorry if I come off as ignorant, but this is my first record player and I've had it for less than a year. I'm new to playing music on anything other than a CD or my phone. And "Paisan Gelato" is a play on words of my real name
I'm sorry if I made you feel "ignorant" really...
If it's any consolation I just thought you were being super WITTY. I was really enjoying your wit.
In fact I think perhaps you really are very witty you just aren't aware of it consciously. I'm like that myself. People very often have told me (while laughing) how witty they think I am, and I have no idea why they're saying that. I prefer to think I'm actually very witty, I'm just SO witty I out-wit myself. That's a better way of looking at I think, than the alternative.
I hope you get some results on playing your soundtrack. I think that if the very kind and helpful people (not me apparently) here can not Help you nobody can. It really does sound like it's your record player. Unless the record has honey or slow drying epoxy on it I can't imagine how it could be the disk itself. It's likely that the solution offered to you by someone here is the one, that the label on the disk is somehow smaller than your other ones, and the auto shut off is seeing the record as being over and turning off before it really is over. Though why it's not just picking up the tone arm and returning it to the off position is another mystery.
Take care
indi

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2153
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 18:21

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by Spinner45 » 17 Sep 2018 03:13

IndigoRock2001 wrote:
Paisan_Gelato wrote:Thanks JDJK and Eddie Edirol! I'll figure something out. And IndigoRock2001, yes im being genuine lol. Sorry if I come off as ignorant, but this is my first record player and I've had it for less than a year. I'm new to playing music on anything other than a CD or my phone. And "Paisan Gelato" is a play on words of my real name
I'm sorry if I made you feel "ignorant" really...
If it's any consolation I just thought you were being super WITTY. I was really enjoying your wit.
In fact I think perhaps you really are very witty you just aren't aware of it consciously. I'm like that myself. People very often have told me (while laughing) how witty they think I am, and I have no idea why they're saying that. I prefer to think I'm actually very witty, I'm just SO witty I out-wit myself. That's a better way of looking at I think, than the alternative.
I hope you get some results on playing your soundtrack. I think that if the very kind and helpful people (not me apparently) here can not Help you nobody can. It really does sound like it's your record player. Unless the record has honey or slow drying epoxy on it I can't imagine how it could be the disk itself. It's likely that the solution offered to you by someone here is the one, that the label on the disk is somehow smaller than your other ones, and the auto shut off is seeing the record as being over and turning off before it really is over. Though why it's not just picking up the tone arm and returning it to the off position is another mystery.
Take care
indi
Those inexpensive clones of Crosley fame are not designed to automatically move the tonearm.
A cheap little leaf switch tells the motor to stop at record's end, and being mass produced in china, the alignment and quality control is not accurate.
It's what it is.

Paisan_Gelato
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 20:55

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by Paisan_Gelato » 17 Sep 2018 04:22

IndigoRock2001 wrote:
Paisan_Gelato wrote:Thanks JDJK and Eddie Edirol! I'll figure something out. And IndigoRock2001, yes im being genuine lol. Sorry if I come off as ignorant, but this is my first record player and I've had it for less than a year. I'm new to playing music on anything other than a CD or my phone. And "Paisan Gelato" is a play on words of my real name
I'm sorry if I made you feel "ignorant" really...
If it's any consolation I just thought you were being super WITTY. I was really enjoying your wit.
In fact I think perhaps you really are very witty you just aren't aware of it consciously. I'm like that myself. People very often have told me (while laughing) how witty they think I am, and I have no idea why they're saying that. I prefer to think I'm actually very witty, I'm just SO witty I out-wit myself. That's a better way of looking at I think, than the alternative.
I hope you get some results on playing your soundtrack. I think that if the very kind and helpful people (not me apparently) here can not Help you nobody can. It really does sound like it's your record player. Unless the record has honey or slow drying epoxy on it I can't imagine how it could be the disk itself. It's likely that the solution offered to you by someone here is the one, that the label on the disk is somehow smaller than your other ones, and the auto shut off is seeing the record as being over and turning off before it really is over. Though why it's not just picking up the tone arm and returning it to the off position is another mystery.
Take care
indi
Haha you didn't make me feel ignorant and I enjoy your "witty" sense of humor. Its just my family believes something is wrong with the record itself while the people on this platform say its the turntable. Thanks for the advice though! Ill try to figure something out with my turntable

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4607
Joined: 23 Feb 2009 20:20
Location: Phildelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: Can someone Help me with my record? It wont play...

Post by JoeE SP9 » 17 Sep 2018 15:31

The best advice anyone can give you is, buy a better turntable.

Post Reply