Best vinyl you've ever heard

name that tune
Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Best vinyl you've ever heard

Post by Bob Dillon » 24 Apr 2019 18:17

Sure, I'll throw in my 2 cents about it when I get the record. Lady In Satin has been remixed before, so it could be a remix or the original stereo. The original stereo I've always regarded as pretty average for it's time.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 01 May 2019 00:10

greg-60s music hound wrote:
24 Apr 2019 05:48
Bob Dillon wrote:
24 Apr 2019 01:12
23 Apr 2019 23:46

In the run out grooves at the end of the record it says welcome to 1979
I just ordered a copy of the 2015 Sony LP so we'll see when it gets here. [-o< The intials are the person who cut the lacquer and the circled U is most likely indicating that it was pressed at the United plant.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the sound quality
When your record arrives i am by no means an expert I've listened to many a record through the years and have heard some fantastic sounding vinyl but this particular record has the lowest noise floor I think I've ever heard and at the very least in my collection I'm sure many on this forum are far more advanced with the equipment they use and could be a better judge but on my old equipment from the 70s this record sounds superb so I'd imagine that with a more revealing setup it would be that much better
So I got the same "Welcome to 1979" cut you have. I agree with you, it's very good sounding. A/B compared to my other stereo pressing, it's no contest. The good times end there however as my copy came with a too small spindle hole, white flecks and smudges on the record surface and also slightly warped. The latter is the one that make me PO'd, because I can at least still clean it. It's funny, it's like every problem with modern record pressing was laid in this copy. The vinyl is basically quiet. I back up your review, aside from the pressing QC issues. I'm not saying it's the best vinyl I've heard, just the best sounding version of this record that I'v heard. It also preserves the original track running order where one song was omitted from the stereo release vs. the mono because of playing time constraints on earlier stereo LP's. The mix sounds like the original stereo mix.

greg-60s music hound
United States of America

Post by greg-60s music hound » 01 May 2019 19:29

Bob Dillon wrote:
01 May 2019 00:10
24 Apr 2019 05:48
Bob Dillon wrote:
24 Apr 2019 01:12

I just ordered a copy of the 2015 Sony LP so we'll see when it gets here. [-o< The intials are the person who cut the lacquer and the circled U is most likely indicating that it was pressed at the United plant.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the sound quality
When your record arrives i am by no means an expert I've listened to many a record through the years and have heard some fantastic sounding vinyl but this particular record has the lowest noise floor I think I've ever heard and at the very least in my collection I'm sure many on this forum are far more advanced with the equipment they use and could be a better judge but on my old equipment from the 70s this record sounds superb so I'd imagine that with a more revealing setup it would be that much better
So I got the same "Welcome to 1979" cut you have. I agree with you, it's very good sounding. A/B compared to my other stereo pressing, it's no contest. The good times end there however as my copy came with a too small spindle hole, white flecks and smudges on the record surface and also slightly warped. The latter is the one that make me PO'd, because I can at least still clean it. It's funny, it's like every problem with modern record pressing was laid in this copy. The vinyl is basically quiet. I back up your review, aside from the pressing QC issues. I'm not saying it's the best vinyl I've heard, just the best sounding version of this record that I'v heard. It also preserves the original track running order where one song was omitted from the stereo release vs. the mono because of playing time constraints on earlier stereo LP's. The mix sounds like the original stereo mix.
I'm sorry to hear that you got a lemon it's always frustrating to get a poor pressing considering how much records cost these days as much as I like that the vinyl format is popular again it seems to me that since the resurgence of vinyl records pressings just are not as good as they use to be
There is high quality pressings out there still but seems that one has to pay a premium for that and I find that unacceptable a quality pressing should be the standard not the exception

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 17 May 2019 15:26

My old pressing of Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark is sweet. A recent re-issue is good, but not as good, even Ms TT hears the difference. I'd shell out if Analogue Productions cut a new one from original tapes.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 17 May 2019 20:07

TudorTurtle wrote:
17 May 2019 15:26
My old pressing of Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark is sweet. A recent re-issue is good, but not as good, even Ms TT hears the difference. I'd shell out if Analogue Productions cut a new one from original tapes.
DCC also put it out as a LP and gold CD some years ago, mastered by Steve Hoffman. I have the DCC CD, original Asylum LP, the Nautilus 1/2 speed mastered LP and I think it's available to stream in "hi-rez" on Qobuz. Might be fun to have a little shootout among these. Though I'm pretty sure the Nautilus isn't going to be the winner, I remember it sounding overly bright, though it's been years since I played it, or Court & Spark, really. I played the Kevin Gray AAA mastering of Blue (Rhino) a few months ago. It's an LP worth picking up. Very nice sound, better than the couple of old Reprise presses I have to compare to.

JAV80007

Post by JAV80007 » 03 Jun 2019 06:53

My NM "Black Sabbath" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" Japanese 1980 represses sound incredible. Excellent dynamics with incredibly low surface noise. Most of my Japanese pressings are amazing with just a few duds. Compared to the recent represses, my Pink Floyd Japanese 1st press "Animals" is just that, animalistic. Brutal mids energy and high frequency extension that befits that record. Cut very hot, very slight IGD near the end of side A. It makes the repress sound like folk music. The same goes for my Japanese 3rd repress of "Dark Side of the Moon". Very high energy.

As for modern pressings, my 1st press Gorrilaz "Demon Days" has powerful dynamics and dance worthy bass. Best mastering of the material I've heard.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 05 Jun 2019 15:27

I noted Sting's The Soul Cages here in the thread awhile back...thinking I had purchased a new re-issue when in fact I purchased a (still new) original pressing. So it's legacy vinyl again that is the 'best sounding' in my collection (so far). This record is also 180g (maybe 150g i dont have an accurate scale atm) and not even noted on the jacket lol. Back then the standard appears to have been excellence! Picked up a minty pair of old PSB 30markii speakers last wknd and just spun this LP again- it does not disappoint! Mated the 30s with PSB alpha subsonic Sub, Yamaha AVR (a quite good MM phono preamp) as the Pre-amp (yes it has external amp out) and Adcom 555 power amp. Z I N G Y ! and fast.

modalmood

Post by modalmood » 08 Jun 2019 19:36

Right now I’m listening to a VG++ PROMO COPY of Cat Stevens “Teaser and the Firecat” that I picked up for five bucks and it is sounding pretty stellar...