name that tune
scho2684
long player
long player

Re: Best vinyl you've ever heard

Post by scho2684 » 01 Apr 2019 06:04

Gelid wrote:
02 Jan 2019 04:14
I never knew a record could sound so good.
You should try to get the MoFi version of this one...

The 3 "cheap" versions I all liked for many years...
Then I bought a Analogue Productions of this one, which was certainly better then the "cheap" version...
Then I stumbled onto a MoFi for a few bucks, that was a eye opener....

But the initial pressings were already very good, I like the European versions (Made in France) better then the US versions...

fade away
England

Post by fade away » 01 Apr 2019 06:12

Chris Jones - Roadhouses & Automobiles
Stockfisch Records SFR 357 80271
Amazing sound quality

Robert Plant - Now & Zen
A decent second hand brings the best out of your system especially track ‘Ship of Fools’

Best Live album on vinyl
Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 01 Apr 2019 21:20

As regular readers here know I was an engineer and I've heard literally hundreds and hundreds of great sounding records so picking one wouldn't be possible.
But I can tell you the worst and it was a huge surprise.
It was a copy of the first Sheffield Labs record, the one with Doug Sax' lathe on the cover. It was an awful, noisy, dull disaster. I even wrote a letter to them and found out they had tried to squeeze too many records out of that stamper. Oh well.
Phil Brown

meendds
United States of America

Post by meendds » 02 Apr 2019 17:51

Anyone have any experience with the Hot Stampers retailer?
https://www.better-records.com/
Is their sound quality worthy of the prices?

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 02 Apr 2019 20:21

meendds wrote:
02 Apr 2019 17:51
Anyone have any experience with the Hot Stampers retailer?
https://www.better-records.com/
Is their sound quality worthy of the prices?
They've been discussed on here a few times, general consensus is not worth it. Good pressings are good pressings...

swede71
Sweden

Post by swede71 » 08 Apr 2019 18:13

Uli Jon Roth-Beyond the astral skies,the european pressing,double sleeve.Fantastic sounding record from 85.My fav guitarsounds of all time.Hendrix meet classical.

stan106

Post by stan106 » 11 Apr 2019 00:02

Grateful dead American Beauty original Mobile Fidelity
Frank Zappa (')
Steely Dan
Chuck Mangione Feels so Good original and Mobile Fidelity
David Bowie Hunky Dory original release
Just a few

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 11 Apr 2019 01:05

Thomas Dolby EP Blinded by Science. Early pressing LP's = amazing sound.

greg-60s music hound
United States of America

Post by greg-60s music hound » 14 Apr 2019 01:05

Last night I was in the mood to hear some lady day I have had a 2015 reissue of billie holiday lady in Satin featuring the ray ellis orchestra sitting in my collection for a few years now I actually forgot I had it for awhile and decided to give it a spin much to my surprise it was the cleanest sounding record I've ever heard and definitely the best sounding in my collection what's mind boggling is its in a paper sleeve and without an outer clear sleeve protector
It has sat in my collection untouched for 4 years now with ample time to collect dust I was blown away at how good this record sounds
I guess I just got lucky

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 23 Apr 2019 12:36

Could it be virgin vinyl?> Im starting to question the quality (in terms of chemical and manufacturing, materials) of modern day LP's. Sure the mixing and mastering (might) be great but so what if old, cruddy vinyl is used for stamping>?
greg-60s music hound wrote:
14 Apr 2019 01:05
Last night I was in the mood to hear some lady day I have had a 2015 reissue of billie holiday lady in Satin featuring the ray ellis orchestra sitting in my collection for a few years now I actually forgot I had it for awhile and decided to give it a spin much to my surprise it was the cleanest sounding record I've ever heard and definitely the best sounding in my collection what's mind boggling is its in a paper sleeve and without an outer clear sleeve protector
It has sat in my collection untouched for 4 years now with ample time to collect dust I was blown away at how good this record sounds
I guess I just got lucky

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 23 Apr 2019 17:59

Gravitar8 wrote:
23 Apr 2019 12:36
Could it be virgin vinyl?> Im starting to question the quality (in terms of chemical and manufacturing, materials) of modern day LP's. Sure the mixing and mastering (might) be great but so what if old, cruddy vinyl is used for stamping>?
I guess I just got lucky
I'd like to know more about the mastering and what label it's on, is it Columbia or some grey market thing. I'm a fan of the album, I have original Columbia mono, Columbia 70's era stereo reissue and the Columbia/Legacy CD which I don't like. I'd buy this if it is this good.

greg-60s music hound
United States of America

Post by greg-60s music hound » 23 Apr 2019 23:46

Bob Dillon wrote:
23 Apr 2019 17:59
Gravitar8 wrote:
23 Apr 2019 12:36
I guess I just got lucky
I'd like to know more about the mastering and what label it's on, is it Columbia or some grey market thing. I'm a fan of the album, I have original Columbia mono, Columbia 70's era stereo reissue and the Columbia/Legacy CD which I don't like. I'd buy this if it is this good.
It is a Columbia reissue by Sony music entertainment from 2015 in stereo
In the run out grooves at the end of the record it says welcome to 1979 and above that there appears to be the initials cjh and a u with a circle around it perhaps someone more in the know could shed some light on what all that means I certainly don't know

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 24 Apr 2019 01:12

23 Apr 2019 23:46

In the run out grooves at the end of the record it says welcome to 1979
I just ordered a copy of the 2015 Sony LP so we'll see when it gets here. [-o< The intials are the person who cut the lacquer and the circled U is most likely indicating that it was pressed at the United plant.
Last edited by Bob Dillon on 24 Apr 2019 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 24 Apr 2019 01:26

Witches Brew on the RCA Living Stereo label ranks right up there

greg-60s music hound
United States of America

Post by greg-60s music hound » 24 Apr 2019 05:48

Bob Dillon wrote:
24 Apr 2019 01:12
23 Apr 2019 23:46

In the run out grooves at the end of the record it says welcome to 1979
I just ordered a copy of the 2015 Sony LP so we'll see when it gets here. [-o< The intials are the person who cut the lacquer and the circled U is most likely indicating that it was pressed at the United plant.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the sound quality
When your record arrives i am by no means an expert I've listened to many a record through the years and have heard some fantastic sounding vinyl but this particular record has the lowest noise floor I think I've ever heard and at the very least in my collection I'm sure many on this forum are far more advanced with the equipment they use and could be a better judge but on my old equipment from the 70s this record sounds superb so I'd imagine that with a more revealing setup it would be that much better