Best vinyl you've ever heard

name that tune
reynolds617
United States of America

Re: Best vinyl you've ever heard

Post by reynolds617 » 18 Aug 2018 17:05

Peter Galbavy wrote:For me, the outstanding sounding record in my collection of thousands has to be

Tears For Fears / Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92)

I got it for £1 in a charity shop in almost mint condition and I don't know what / who did but it is outstanding *and* it's a "best of" compilation to boot. I can see why it appears to command high prices to those who aren't quite as lucky.

I happen to like the music too, but I'm judging solely based on sound quality at this point. I have many other records I listen to more often for musical enjoyment.

https://www.discogs.com/Tears-For-Fears ... se/2040080
Mine’s probably the MFSL Silver Edition of TFF Songs From the Big Chair. Then again, my collection’s not that big.

Interested to see if I can track down that Tears Roll Down version in my travels. I’d never have thought to pick that up since I have most of their albums.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 18 Aug 2018 17:29

EdAInWestOC wrote:
billshurv wrote:
EdAInWestOC wrote:
My UHQR of Supertramp - Crime of The Century is stunning. It is definitely a system show off type LP. Some of the 45 RPM reissues have advantages in sound quality that is hard to compete with.
I forgot to clip the article, but there in some contention over the supertramp remasters as they were not EQ'd as per the bands signed off master. Opens an interesting debate over should it be called a 'remastering' or not?
Have you heard the UHQR of Crime of The Century?

Ed
Are you referring to the MoFi pressing from 1981? If so I have it as well as the Speakers Corner pressing from 1999. Both are good but in my opinion one is obviously better than the other.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 18 Aug 2018 17:46

I have a handful of pressings that are not only good for showing off the system, but are also good for just plain listening enjoyment.

Of the more modern pressings one that's a pretty incredible listen is Shelley Manne 234 on Impulse. This is an Analog Productions 45 rpm pressing. Another impressive modern pressing is also a 45 rpm pressing of Gene Ammons Boss Tenor by AcousTech. Both of these will make you sit and listen intently.

I have a first press of Creedence Clearwater's first album, and a first press of Stones Aftermath that both sound amazing.

I have two first presses of Steely Dan Gaucho, mattered by Robert Ludwig that are both clean and sound amazing. One I bought for $6 at a local record store.

My Speakers Corner pressing of Supertramp Crime Of The Century has impressed everyone who's heard it in my house, but I think this has has much to do with the music as it does the pressing itself. The pressing is amazing. The record is a masterpiece.

I could go on but I'll just add one more for now. Something that's still available and an amazing listen is the recent Music On Vinyl pressing of Eva Cassidy's Nightbird.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 18 Aug 2018 22:25

terry-a wrote:
Are you referring to the MoFi pressing from 1981? If so I have it as well as the Speakers Corner pressing from 1999. Both are good but in my opinion one is obviously better than the other.
1978 Stan Ricker cut for MoFi. I need to find that interview. It must be somewhere on the internet.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 18 Aug 2018 22:32

billshurv wrote:
terry-a wrote:
1978 Stan Ricker cut for MoFi. I need to find that interview. It must be somewhere on the internet.
I think this is the one I have.

The 1981 pressing is MFQR 1-005, and the jacket pictured at Discogs is not your typical COTC jacket.

Edit:

I just looked it over closely and this is the one I have. Among other identifying marks, it has SR/2 etched in the runout grooves.

Is this the one you suggested didn't meet the approval of the band?

To me it's crystal clear and clean like a typical MoFi, but as compared to my Speakers Corner copy, it sounds a little thin. The Speakers Corner pressing is one of my favorites, but when I came across the MoFi pressing at a local record store for $10 I figured I'd be stupid not to pick it up as a backup. I've graded it VG to VG+ on side one, and a solid VG+ on side 2. This was one of my better record scores.

BlazingArrow74
United States of America

Post by BlazingArrow74 » 11 Dec 2018 03:27

philbrown wrote:
06 Aug 2018 18:27
Lots of choices but if I had to pick it would be:
Graceland original DMM mastering
Nightfly Original DMM mastering
Bop Till You Drop original mastering by yours truly
Phil Brown
Was the original WB pressing of Nightfly DMM, or are you referencing a different DMM release ?

BlazingArrow74
United States of America

Post by BlazingArrow74 » 11 Dec 2018 03:33

analogaudio wrote:
06 Aug 2018 19:25
Beethoven piano sonatas, played by Brendel, Philips recording and pressing, until I heard this I didn't know how good LP quality could be.

Steely Dan, almost everything, Gaucho may be my favorite.

GO PHIL :-) I bought BTYD when it came out, love it. How were things with that 3M digital system?
Gaucho (original MCA pressing) sounds STUPID GOOD. I hear it was the most difficult album for them to record & mix, and did not contribute to band cohesion, heh. I think Gaucho sounds better than the rest of their catalog (never heard "Two Against Nature" or "Everything Must Go" on vinyl, although I hear they are fantastic). It sounds miles better than Aja, to me. However, I've never hears an "AB" pressing ... I only have a NM AA. [RIP Walter B.]

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 11 Dec 2018 03:46

BlazingArrow74 wrote:
11 Dec 2018 03:33
analogaudio wrote:
Beethoven piano sonatas, played by Brendel, Philips recording and pressing, until I heard this I didn't know how good LP quality could be.

GO PHIL :-) I bought BTYD when it came out, love it. How were things with that 3M digital system?
Gaucho (original MCA pressing) sounds STUPID GOOD. I hear it was the most difficult album for them to record & mix, and did not contribute to band cohesion, heh. I think Gaucho sounds better than the rest of their catalog (never heard "Two Against Nature" or "Everything Must Go" on vinyl, although I hear they are fantastic). It sounds miles better than Aja, to me. However, I've never hears an "AB" pressing ... I only have a NM AA. [RIP Walter B.]
I have two of those RL Gaucho pressings and they do sound stupid good. I also have two Aja AB, one AA, and one MoFi. I think you're right that Gaucho sounds better, but I never think that when I'm listening to an AB Aja.

BlazingArrow74
United States of America

Post by BlazingArrow74 » 11 Dec 2018 04:10

terry-a wrote:
11 Dec 2018 03:46
BlazingArrow74 wrote:
11 Dec 2018 03:33
analogaudio wrote:

I have two of those RL Gaucho pressings and they do sound stupid good. I also have two Aja AB, one AA, and one MoFi. I think you're right that Gaucho sounds better, but I never think that when I'm listening to an AB Aja.
I bet you don't, haha. I have two Aja AA: one opened, regular gatefold, and one sealed CRC (record club edition). I was duped on ebay years ago: the seller led me to believe the CRC was an AB-first pressing but this was before I knew about Discogs! I figured it's still cool to have a sealed "Aja" of any stripe laying around. One of the few sealed albums on the shelf.

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 12 Dec 2018 16:24

All the above LPs are excellent, and have a bunch of them (not many 1st pressings though!)

The first well recorded album I really listened to on a good system was the Stones' Black and Blue, and I still recall the shock of hearing everything. After all the messy Jimmy Miller engineering, B&B was something else. I'm sure I'd heard good records on good systems before but didn't realize the difference between hearing and listening.

Brick
United States of America

Post by Brick » 12 Dec 2018 20:08

I love my 1982 5LP set (French) of Ella Sings Gershwin. Like she's in the room with you.

Geoff888
Great Britain

Post by Geoff888 » 12 Dec 2018 20:56

A mastering colleague & I cut 15 sets of Brothers In Arms over a weekend at Tape One Studios in London.
These lacquers were to supply all UK & Europe pressing plants for the first run in Europe.
The source analog half inch tapes were production masters from Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk.
Steely Dan " Gaucho" was cut for Europe using the same cutting lathe.
Source tapes were also half inch Masterdisk prod tapes from Bob.

Both of these pressings sound exceptional IMO.

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 13 Dec 2018 13:27

Very nice choices so far- I also just love the US RL "Gaucho" pressing. Before I found one I had (and still have) an original German pressing and I never really liked it soundwise but when I got the RL cut it all changed. A great sounding pressing that often can be found very cheap- at least over here in Sweden.

I'll add one of my most recent aquisitions to the already quite comprehensive list. I recently found a visually pretty beat up copy of Black Sabbath's debut album. It's an UK Swirl 2nd pressing, I cleaned it multiple times on my Okki Nokki and yesterday I had the chance to play it for the first time. Though the vinyl itself seems to be in bad condition it plays very nice though there of course are some clicks and pops. Soundwise it's really jaw dropping. After experiencing this I can state that I never ever really have heard this album before- yes this original pressing is that good. IMHO it's a true revelation.

I would also like to add; any of the The Wailers/Bob Marley & The Wailers studio albums are really good sounding. Try to go for the original pressings or represses/reissues from the late 70's or the ones from the mid 80's- after that they got digitally remastered and I must say up to this day I haven't found any digitally remastered vinyl pressing that catches the magic of the original all analog pressings from back in the day. Marley on good old original vinyl is the way to go if you want the best sound.

modalmood

Post by modalmood » 13 Dec 2018 22:29

philbrown wrote:
06 Aug 2018 20:19
analogaudio wrote: GO PHIL :-) I bought BTYD when it came out, love it. How were things with that 3M digital system?
It was fine. I used it a lot, multi track and mixdown. But it, and all the tape based systems, were only stopgaps until full computer recording.
But it had a problem with compatibility between machines which yours truly discovered. I was the first person to try to play back a tape recorded on a different machine.
And the tape, recorded at the Townhouse, wouldn't play back on our machine at Warmer Bros.
And as they say, hilarity ensued.
Phil Brownj
Just found mint copies of Bop Til You Drop and Borderline for three bucks each. Both sound phenomenal. But the soundstaging and dynANMICS! of Borderline are are outrageous.

Hard to pick but other favorites include original (well maybe not original original, but early) pressings of:

Peter Case - Peter Case (produced by T-Bone Burnett)
Frank Zappa and the Mothers - One Size Fits All
Don Randi and Quest - New Baby (Sheffield Labs Direct to Disc)
Bob Weir - Ace (Actually a Grateful Dead album recorded in 72 released under BW's name)
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

JCarr1

Post by JCarr1 » 14 Dec 2018 01:27

For me it's Itzhak Perlman Beethoven Violin Concerto on Angel records