the home of the turntable

Best vinyl you've ever heard

name that tune

Re: Best vinyl you've ever heard

Postby IndigoRock2001 » 07 Aug 2018 04:53

Japi Roelofs wrote:
IndigoRock2001 wrote:Mine is my recently acquired Sgt. Peppers on red vinyl from 1966 on Parlaphone.

I'm not a Beatles expert, but this album was released in 1967. Also, I think red vinyl wasn't available until 1978.

If the label says Porlaphone instead of Parlophone, it's probably a bootleg. Perhaps this one?

Just my errors in spelling and exact year. As to the red vinyl in 1978 date I have other colored vinyl from the 50's and 60's and red in particular. However these may be some substance other than vinyl, plastic for example, thus the reputation for colored records sounding bad.
indi
IndigoRock2001

United States of America

Postby Japi Roelofs » 07 Aug 2018 10:48

Sorry for the confusion; I know coloured vinyl was available well before 1978.

What I meant to say is that the only red vinyl releases of this album I can find on Parlophone are a French pressing from 1978, and an Australian pressing from 1987.
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby Slavikcc » 07 Aug 2018 14:05

Any of the Music Matters Jazz pressings of Blue Note albums.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby bhuston » 07 Aug 2018 14:16

Japi Roelofs wrote:Sorry for the confusion; I know coloured vinyl was available well before 1978.

What I meant to say is that the only red vinyl releases of this album I can find on Parlophone are a French pressing from 1978, and an Australian pressing from 1987.

Yeah, I have a 45 that is red vinyl, a 1910 Fruitgum Company song, Yummy, Yummy, Yummy. From my childhood youth. That came out sometime in the mid 60's I believe.
bhuston

United States of America

Postby IndigoRock2001 » 07 Aug 2018 22:11

Japi Roelofs wrote:Sorry for the confusion; I know coloured vinyl was available well before 1978.

Oh!! That's really interesting! maybe I have the year wrong. Thanks for looking into it. I was trying to get the partuculars from the seller since I also bought 2 other beatles albums from him. Both on colored vinyl. But he wouldn't respond to me. One is a German pressing as the cover's in German, that's Magical Mystery Tour, that one is on clear red on the Apple label, with an alternate cover to the one released in America. Now that I look it turns out the Sgt. Peppers is on clear blue. and the Abbey Road is on clear green on the Apple label. The Sgt. Peppers on blue with the Parlophone label is the one that sounds so great. I also have an 'unplugged' version of the White album on one white disk. Interesting but not something to listen to a lot of times. It is kind of fun on that one to hear them singing different words, before they figured out what they wanted to do on the finished White Album. It's obviously some kind of demo tape they made with acoustic instruments.
Where do you look up these things? I'd really like to investigate some more of my albums which are sort of odd-ball for various reasons.
Take care
indi
IndigoRock2001

United States of America

Postby Japi Roelofs » 07 Aug 2018 22:58

http://www.discogs.com has extensive discographies. Sgt. Pepper has over 600 different versions listed.
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby IndigoRock2001 » 08 Aug 2018 16:48

Thanks so much! I actually went there and found my "holy grail" record. It's been reissued and was only $22. Previously I've only seen it for $300 on Ebay. Never thought I'd have one. So great! Thanks again.
indi
IndigoRock2001

United States of America

Postby Peter Galbavy » 10 Aug 2018 13:29

For me, the outstanding sounding record in my collection of thousands has to be

Tears For Fears / Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92)

I got it for £1 in a charity shop in almost mint condition and I don't know what / who did but it is outstanding *and* it's a "best of" compilation to boot. I can see why it appears to command high prices to those who aren't quite as lucky.

I happen to like the music too, but I'm judging solely based on sound quality at this point. I have many other records I listen to more often for musical enjoyment.

https://www.discogs.com/Tears-For-Fears ... se/2040080
Peter Galbavy

United Kingdom

Postby rewfew » 11 Aug 2018 17:18

For jazz, Rudy Van Gelder put out some of my best sounding records. For reggae, Hopeton Overton Brown or, Scientist was and still is an engineering master. For rock music, I seem to always have to turn up the volume to get the dynamics more involving. Maybe it's all that compression technique that is used. Which seems ironic to the type of music that should be conveyed. The album mentioned, Ry Cooder's Bop Till You Drop is a good one. Paul Young's No Parlez has some pizzazz. I guess the most dynamic rock album I have is INXS's Kick album. I like crankn' Devil Inside. It's got the kick the album is named.
rewfew

Postby AsOriginallyRecorded » 11 Aug 2018 20:02

I would offer for consideration, Works One by ELP, on BMG's Mantidore label. Reissued in 2016, digitally remastered from original tapes, the sound is clear and sharp, no noise whatsoever, and immersive. Progressive rock isn't everyone's cup of meat,but this music has stood the test of time and technology very well. =D>
AsOriginallyRecorded

Canada

Postby ronm » 15 Aug 2018 08:34

Perhaps Kraftwerk Electric Cafe.Didn't care for most of the music so i sold it but man it sure sounded good.
ronm

Postby EdAInWestOC » 15 Aug 2018 14:12

A friend of mine, who own a high-end stereo store, did a comparison of pressings of Sgt Peppers on a very good system. The MoFi UHQR easily beat the 50th anniversary pressing and we didn't have anything else that came close to the UHQR. The UHQR was so quiet and silky smooth plus had so much dynamics it was easy to hear everything in the grooves.

NOTE: He also has a LP store with the stereo hardware stuff. We had an excellent selection of LPs to choose from.

As far as best quality pressings, there are just too many great ones, thank god. And thanks to the great mastering engineers.

My UHQR of Supertramp - Crime of The Century is stunning. It is definitely a system show off type LP. Some of the 45 RPM reissues have advantages in sound quality that is hard to compete with.

The ORG 45 RPM pressing of Blood, Sweat and Tears 2nd LP is one of those 45s. It is a superb example of a very good master transferred to vinyl. The Analogue Productions 45 RPM box set, titled Bloodlines, of all 4 Blood, Sweat and Tears LPs is something you want to own if you want great sounding LPs. The original analog masters were used to create superb lacquers that were plated and pressed with great care.

The Mobile Fidelity UD1S pressing of Santana - Abraxas, the UD1S of Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard and the UD1S of Donald Fagen - The Nightfly are as good a pressing that you are likely to hear. The whole UD1S series of pressings are superb. Removing two steps from the plating process really makes a difference on quality recordings.

NOTE: I just received the UD1S of Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters and have not yet had a chance to listen to it. I am sure it is also a keeper.

The recent re-issue by MoFi of Linda Ronstadt's Heart Like A Wheel is excellent. Her voice is superb and the dynamics are stunning. This is a 33 RPM re-issue that was done superbly.

I guess I am spoiled and I have too many great LPs. I collect both originals and re-issues and have LPs from both that are superb.

Some of the examples of originals/imports are:
1> 1st US pressing of Cat Stevens - Teaser and The Firecat
2> 1st US pressing of Steve Goodman - Jessie's Jig and Other Favorites
3> 1st US pressing of Ry Cooder - Bop Till You Drop
4> Japanese pressing of The Honeydrippers - Vol 1
5> Japanese pressing of Yes - 90125 (mastered by Bob Ludwig/Masterdisk and pressed in Japan)
6> DMM of Billy Joel - The Bridge
7> Sheffield Labs - Harry James - Comin' from a Good Place

Those are just a few of the originals/imports that come to mind.

Ed
EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 15 Aug 2018 15:35

EdAInWestOC wrote:
My UHQR of Supertramp - Crime of The Century is stunning. It is definitely a system show off type LP. Some of the 45 RPM reissues have advantages in sound quality that is hard to compete with.

I forgot to clip the article, but there in some contention over the supertramp remasters as they were not EQ'd as per the bands signed off master. Opens an interesting debate over should it be called a 'remastering' or not?
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby EdAInWestOC » 15 Aug 2018 20:08

billshurv wrote:
EdAInWestOC wrote:

I forgot to clip the article, but there in some contention over the supertramp remasters as they were not EQ'd as per the bands signed off master. Opens an interesting debate over should it be called a 'remastering' or not?

Have you heard the UHQR of Crime of The Century?

Ed
EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby drywhitetoast » 16 Aug 2018 04:49

"First ever vinyl release from Analogue Productions. Pressed at QRP."

Best sounding vinyl and go to album to "impress" non-believers that vinyl can sound so, so good.

The music is pretty cool too. 8)
drywhitetoast

Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Records