What are your focused areas of collecting?

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

What are your focused areas of collecting?

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jul 2018 04:34

I wrote this on another thread...

"There are three or four areas, for example, that I've focused on...I have just about all the White Stripes and Jack White-related 45's out there, but I am constantly on the hunt for new ones...Jack has not made this easy, as he is constantly putting out new and different types of vinyl...If I focus on the 45's only, it's a little easier than going after every album and pressing out there...I have also collected just about every major U.S. 45' I've wanted from 1990 onward, and what has made that easier is that these were produced in more limited quantities...In fact, about 2000+ of my 8,000+ singles are just from the 90's-00's alone! There were some hits that I've had to source from foreign pressings, if they weren't issued on vinyl here in the States, but I've been pretty lucky so far to find the ones I've wanted for good prices...I think $10-12 was the most I've spent on a 45', and that was maybe for an earlier White Stripes 45' or an Evanescence picture disc from Greece...The Evanescence was a rare, one-of-a kind thing and like Avril Lavigne, I got into them early...Another area of focus has been James Bond theme songs on 45'...I have most of the ones that were ever issued on a 45 rpm record...I have just about everything from "Goldfinger" to Adele's "Skyfall" and I recently purchased Sam Smith's "Writing's On The Wall" from "Spectre", just to be a completist...I know, I know... :roll: My dad always dug the James Bond films, and I used to watch them with him, so they hold a special place in my history...And those opening credits! =D> Fourth area of interest is the colored vinyl that Capitol put out for The Beatles back in the 90's...I just about have them all and although, they have a collector value, I just dig The Beatles' music and putting them on colored vinyl was just a fun thing to do...I actually got a lot of them in great condition from a woman who worked for a jukebox distributor and sold vinyl online on the side back in the day, about 20 years ago or so...One last focused area of interest has been the music of Brian Setzer and The Stray Cats...I have to thank Scotty, one of my favorite record clerks, for cluing me into some of Brian's rarer stuff, but I have quite a collection of rarities, live performances, CD's, vinyl, memorabilia and whatnot and am always on the hunt for more! He plays REAL rock n' roll and swing, the way it was meant to be played! 8) And I've learned much about Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Johnny Burnette and Charlie Feathers through his work, so their works have also become staples in my collection...I think it's cool to say that you have a "set" of something...I also try to remember that the labels know this and they put out certain titles for RSD, knowing there will be a demand for them...Those are just some of my more "focused" areas of collecting...I love music in most all it's forms, so there are many other areas I specialize in..."

So, my question to you guys is this...What artists, bands, series, labels, genres, etc. have you been intensely focused on as major parts of your collection? Is there an artist, band or genre that comprises a large part of your collection or that you have focused on solely? :-k Are there some artists that you will buy records of, no matter what? Are there some albums by certain artists that you will buy in duplicate or even triplicate, just because they are unique pressings, have different artwork or are on different formats and/or because you have to have EVERYTHING put out by the said artist? Feel free to share some examples of artists/bands/genres/labels you deem worthy of completism here... :-k

reynolds617
United States of America

Re: What are your focused areas of collecting?

Post by reynolds617 » 05 Jul 2018 06:06

My areas of focus seem to be outside the mainstream of this forum. 80s and 90s “(particularly UK) are my wheelhouse. Which stinks because that period doesn’t have much in the way of high-quality pressings since it was the era where CDs dominated and vinyl wasn’t a big priority.

I’m getting more into jazz now, but while my knowledge of the aforementioned alternative rock is pretty comprehensive, I know little about jazz. Mix in some classic rock and that’s more or less me in a nutshell musically.

I have few opportunities to “rock out” with my system unfortunately, so I’m trying to educate myself on music to acquire which is more background/ambient or as the movie High Fidelity so aptly put it, “something I can ignore.”

That’s the stuff that’ll get played in my house when anybody else is there. My wife’s never going to go, “You know what? Why don’t you throw on ‘Some Friendly’ by The Charlatans UK!” I lead a gripping life as you can tell.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Jul 2018 10:19

I do have a very extensive collection of BJ Thomas records, plus a few other artists such as the Carpenters. It's mostly LPs, but also some 45s and then later CDs up to the present. I even got to meet him in person a couple of times.

The most I paid for a 45 was $6 for a copy of Billy and Sue by BJ Thomas on Bragg records back in the 1970s.

He even got into secular music for a while and won awards in that genre too but some promoters crooked him out of appearance fees which turned him off since he had a family to take care of.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jul 2018 10:35

Tinkaroo wrote:I do have a very extensive collection of BJ Thomas records, plus a few other artists such as the Carpenters. It's mostly LPs, but also some 45s and then later CDs up to the present. I even got to meet him in person a couple of times.

The most I paid for a 45 was $6 for a copy of Billy and Sue by BJ Thomas on Bragg records back in the 1970s.

He even got into secular music for a while and won awards in that genre too but some promoters crooked him out of appearance fees which turned him off since he had a family to take care of.
I have quite a few BJ Thomas records and tapes, as well, Tink...I still smile when I hear this one...

The last one I bought was his "Songs" LP from 1973...Good stuff! I've got all The Carpenters LP's, too, and even Karen's solo CD, which I dig very much! An odd feature of the collection that I forgot to add was brought on by my vinyl mentor...His favorite song, by far, is the instrumental "Harlem Nocturne"...The Viscounts' version on 45' was the one thing we had in common when I first started discussing vinyl with him...Loving jazz, I fell in love with the song, too...So, I ended up finding 50-60 different versions of the song on LP, 45' and CD and still buy them, when I come across them...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Jul 2018 10:51

vinyl master wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:I do have a very extensive collection of BJ Thomas records, plus a few other artists such as the Carpenters. It's mostly LPs, but also some 45s and then later CDs up to the present. I even got to meet him in person a couple of times.

I have quite a few BJ Thomas records and tapes, as well, Tink...I still smile when I hear this one...

The last one I bought was his "Songs" LP from 1973...Good stuff! I've got all The Carpenters LP's, too, and even Karen's solo CD, which I dig very much! An odd feature of the collection that I forgot to add was brought on by my vinyl mentor...His favorite song, by far, is the instrumental "Harlem Nocturne"...The Viscounts' version on 45' was the one thing we had in common when I first started discussing vinyl with him...Loving jazz, I fell in love with the song, too...So, I ended up finding 50-60 different versions of the song on LP, 45' and CD and still buy them, when I come across them...
Songs was a good album by BJ Thomas as was the one around the same time with the sepia tone cover "Friends" that had songs by John Sebastian,Paul Williams and his big song Rock and Roll Lullabye. It featured guest appearances by some of the writers such as Stevie Wonder "Happier Than The Morning Sun".

BJ had a few successful songs such as Hooked on a Feeling penned by Mark James. BJ was actually friends with Elvis, and Elvis did a couple of his songs on some LPs. They even had the same unscrupulous doctor.

A recent CD of his I really like is called Once I Loved where he does Brazilian music with top Brazilian musicians.

I too also developed an appreciation for Jazz and Classical in recent years. Lots of great stuff there. 8)

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 05 Jul 2018 11:35

I collect music I like, but then again, I am a bit obsessive. So, I try and get everything by the artist I've just found. As a teenager I got all the Pink Floyd albums, along with a pile of bootlegs (expensive back then). Got into the Rolling Stones, now have over 80 Stones albums. Patti Smith, everything released as a record I have.

The whole focus for me is on artists I like. Then I go for it and get the lot.

Got most of Creedence, Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens, U2, Fleet Foxes and a pile of other bands.

DS

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 05 Jul 2018 11:54

I've been busy lately buying up anything that Steven Wilson's been involved in, both producing/mixing as well as his own solo stuff ... for instance just recently

The Yes box set he was involved in re-mixing ...
2 x Bass Communion releases ...
2 x rare no-man releases from the 90's ...

Silly amounts of money all told!

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 05 Jul 2018 14:15

I have an extensive collection of Marillion items, particularly from the Fish/Derek Dick era but lots since then and some of the Fish/Derek Dick solo stuff too.

Multiple copies of first four albums, including the signed re-issue of Misplaced Childhood, their 12" Singles (both picture covers and picture discs), CD Singles, CDs. I have a book and scarf and concert programme I went to (one of many).

Love that band (during this particular era).

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 06 Jul 2018 16:26

I'm currently focusing on metal and punk records, mainly original/early pressings.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 06 Jul 2018 18:42

One binge I was into, was getting all of the collaborations of jazz artists Stanley Turrentine and his then wife Shirley Scott teaming up on some fine soul jazz recording's. It took a few years but I got em all. I've been for the last 5 years fleshing out a pretty good reggae collection. Sweet reggae music makes me feel irie.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 10 Jul 2018 17:14

I've been really finding a lot of "funk jazz" and early "fusion" in that tiny window from 1970 to 1975.

Miles started it all off with "In A Silent Way" in 1969 and the influence it had was enormous.

But, for me, after about '74-'75 the industry caught up with it and slick fusion jazz started rearing it's pathetic head and that's where I jump off.

It's interesting, artists that are known for post bop or straight jazz can have 2 or 3 funk records in there that, at the time, might have put off many of their fans for trying new stuff.
So often these records are casted off or overlooked in their discography.
Which is right up my alley.

Some of my favorites so far are Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Eddie Henderson, Phil Woods, Larry Coryell and the Weather Report guys.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 10 Jul 2018 17:37

Noisefreq, have you tried Stanley Clarke's, Journey To Love Album? Teams up with Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin and Chick Corea. Also, Brian Auger's Oblivian Express. I've got Closer To IT!. I drag em out now and again, especially Stanley Clarke with the rocker, Concerto for Jazz/Rock Orchestra.

That seemed like one of the last real jazz, "pushing the envelope" period's.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Jul 2018 09:53

rewfew wrote:Noisefreq, have you tried Stanley Clarke's, Journey To Love Album? Teams up with Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin and Chick Corea. Also, Brian Auger's Oblivian Express. I've got Closer To IT!. I drag em out now and again, especially Stanley Clarke with the rocker, Concerto for Jazz/Rock Orchestra...

That seemed like one of the last real jazz, "pushing the envelope" period's.
I have that "Journey To Love" album...I wouldn't necessarily forget the classic "School Days", either, by Stanley...And regarding the funk and the fusion, that is where my alley is, as well, but I've gone even beyond that...Look for artists like Dexter Wansel, Lonnie Liston Smith, Tarika Blue, Wilbert Longmire, Bob James, Idris Muhammad, Dr. Lonnie Smith ("Funk Reaction"), "Cantaloupe Island"-era Herbie Hancock, George Duke and many more in this vein! Also, if you see an album on CTI, it's got to be good, so buy it!! =D>

These artists give me plenty peace of mind! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Jul 2018 10:03

Listen to these, too...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Jul 2018 10:04