Anyone own any pocket discs?

name that tune
IndigoRock2001

Re: Anyone own any pocket discs?

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 03 Jul 2018 07:35

Well when I was a kid in the 60's the smallest records I ever saw were from the Chatty Cathy doll my friend had. She came with several records and they contained the few things she said when one pulled her string. Finally Chatty Cathy met with some accident and my friend and I had the joy of taking her apart. Inside was a little record player, little tonearm and all, entirely mechanical, no batteries. Pulling her string wound up a spring and placed the tonearm on one of about 5 places on the little record, to which she responded with some short phraze. I'd really like to see the inside of a 'Mod Barbie' from the same time period. Being much smaller I wonder if she had an even tinier record inside? All I can remember her saying is "I think it's smashing!" The cool thing about this stuff was that it was clearly pre digital, and even pre batteries, purely mechanical.
Indi

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 03 Jul 2018 08:47

Well, my Buddy Holly record contains 18 tracks, nr 19 did not fit.
Here some more pictures.
https://s22.postimg.cc/95go7k53l/small_vinyl2.jpg

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 03 Jul 2018 08:49

And here compared to a half dollar.

https://s22.postimg.cc/ira8nvyu9/small_vinyl3.jpg

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 03 Jul 2018 11:48

vinyl master wrote:Oh, and in case anyone was wondering about the LARGEST playable records, I might have to go with Jarrett again on these...

Clearly knowledge is not needed to setup a youtube channel for millenials!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jul 2018 05:54

billshurv wrote:
Clearly knowledge is not needed to setup a youtube channel for millenials!
And yet, if he's SOOO wrong, maybe someone out there should set him right! :-k A few tried to some time back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYERrrzmmaA

...but at least, he gets people talking about vinyl again (which in all honesty, could have died a long time ago, if it weren't for stalwarts like us keeping it alive!)...AND he wasn't afraid to deal with the issue of people disliking him head on...It's something called humility, which you don't see much of ANYWHERE nowadays! I don't agree with him on every point...Never said I did! I've been at this hobby longer than he's been alive!! :shock: And yet, I do like to be fair and give people the benefit of the doubt...Being anti-millennial for the sake of being anti-millennial doesn't necessarily advance the hobby to the next generation or impart the proper knowledge about vinyl records and their care to those who have no idea about our growing hobby or wish to learn more...I'll even bet that many parents dismissed The Beatles outright as not knowing anything about music, just because they were young and had silly "moptop" haircuts! And yet, Paul McCartney and John Lennon are NOW revered as some of the greatest songwriters and composers who ever lived, right up there with Gershwin, Porter, Cahn and Styne! :-k See how time changes things! :-k Now, THAT does not mean that I WON'T be wrong once in a while...In fact, I FREQUENTLY get things wrong! There is ONE record out there that broke ALL records and was way bigger than a transciption disc, so I stand corrected...Not sure if it was "playable", which is a key distinction, but you guys might like to see how it was made! :D

Again, feel free to dispute any of this and show me the way or some better examples to illustrate my points...Simply put, are there smaller or larger records than the ones presented here? :-k

If you have better information (or know something I don't), by all means, share it! =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jul 2018 05:57

And just for the record, maybe all the haters out there should watch this... :-k

I, on the other hand, will take any good information I can get ANYWHERE I CAN GET IT and there are a lot of books, records, tutorials, videos, websites and forums to consume from many viewpoints about our subject and hobby...If vinyl wasn't such a "big thing", this wouldn't be the case...And there is plenty of room for every voice to contribute something to the discussion!

And remember, folks, you don't become a "master" at ANYTHING unless you are willing to learn something new every day and I don't want to close myself off to ANY possible nuggets of wisdom, knowledge and/or truth from ANY source, whatever that may be...

Hey, I'm just sayin'... 8-[

But, I digress...Where were we again? :-k

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 05 Jul 2018 13:33

El T

Post by El T » 23 Apr 2019 19:21

Prying up this old thread, because I can.
I have a few dozen pocket discs that my mother-in-law had placed in a drawer.
None of them are the pricey-ones.

El T

Post by El T » 23 Apr 2019 19:25

Has anyone picked up a Crosley mini-turntable, that came out last weekend, to try with Pocket Discs?
I think the media are different sizes 8ban (playable on mini-turntable) are 3", while Pocket Discs are 4".

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Apr 2019 01:05

El T wrote:
23 Apr 2019 19:25
Has anyone picked up a Crosley mini-turntable, that came out last weekend, to try with Pocket Discs?
I think the media are different sizes 8ban (playable on mini-turntable) are 3", while Pocket Discs are 4".
I was curious about that, too...I'd read about Jack White's 3-inch discs, along with one from Foo Fighters...I'm curious if anyone picked up any of those and the mini-record player and what their initial impressions are...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 30 Apr 2019 22:12

IndigoRock2001 wrote:
03 Jul 2018 07:35
Well when I was a kid in the 60's the smallest records I ever saw were from the Chatty Cathy doll my friend had. She came with several records and they contained the few things she said when one pulled her string. Finally Chatty Cathy met with some accident and my friend and I had the joy of taking her apart. Inside was a little record player, little tonearm and all, entirely mechanical, no batteries. Pulling her string wound up a spring and placed the tonearm on one of about 5 places on the little record, to which she responded with some short phraze. I'd really like to see the inside of a 'Mod Barbie' from the same time period. Being much smaller I wonder if she had an even tinier record inside? All I can remember her saying is "I think it's smashing!" The cool thing about this stuff was that it was clearly pre digital, and even pre batteries, purely mechanical.
Indi
The short lived Edison Talking Dolls of 1890 were the first of this type. Small diameter cylinder records the dolls played.

https://www.nps.gov/edis/learn/photosmu ... rdings.htm