the home of the turntable

Faulty record ? crackling noises

name that tune

Faulty record ? crackling noises

Postby ernie00 » 17 May 2018 04:37

Hi, I'm new to the vinyl world. I bought my first time table (rega RP1) a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it.

I've been having an issue with one record and only on one side of the record. I've never hard any noise or any pop crack noises on my sound system and it's been setup for 10 + years. I only own 5 records right now and one seems to be making crack pop noises but only on one channel. It's faint but enough to bug me.

Could it be a record issue ? I've tested other records and no noises, tested other sources and no noises even switched the RCA L to R and the noise moved from one speaker to the other.

I wish I could test it out somewhere else but no one I know owns a turntable. I know I could send it back since I bought it with Amazon but want to make sure it's possible. Seems kinda odd that only one channel is affected.

Thanks

Ernie
ernie00

Canada

Re: Faulty record ? crackling noises

Postby Sunwire » 17 May 2018 07:35

Sounds like you got a faulty pressing. I would send it back.
Sunwire
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby VinylT » 17 May 2018 20:52

I had the same problem last week, I bought a USA pressing of the Glass Animals (2 records).

I cleaned both (disco antistat) and put the record on,. Smooth sound no pops and clicks! Than I put on the other one, OMG WTF POP POP CLICK POP CLICK POP POP CLICK POP CLICK POP POP CLICK POP CLICK, I was pissed mad, a faulty pressing was my first thought.. straight back to the cleaner to see if I had done a bad job. After cleaning it for the second time there was less OMG WTF! But still to much to enjoy the record.

So it’s dirty ass hell I thought! And yes mine was!

I got out the dish soap, filled up the antistat with warm water and a big squeeze of soap and started turning and turning. After rinsing the record an drying the pops and clicks are gone!,,

Try to give the record a good clean and try it again! It worked out for me.
VinylT

Netherlands

Postby ernie00 » 18 May 2018 11:42

Thanks, i'll give it a good cleaning and try it again.
ernie00

Canada

Postby VinylT » 18 May 2018 13:27

I hope it works, let us know if it worked out okay
VinylT

Netherlands

Return to Music and Records