Pinkk Floyd Wish you were here acoustic version

name that tune
draganm

Pinkk Floyd Wish you were here acoustic version

Post by draganm » 02 May 2018 19:16

I listened to my copy of this the other night, it's not a great copy, pressed in an obscure European country, and it sounds "not great" to say the least. Some really bad distortion on the last song which I think is a problem with the pressing.
I'm trying to get a clean UK 1st pressing but you guys probly know well how much those are selling for. My other concern is I'm not really crazy about the mastering, a lot of the special effects and electronic key-boards are really forward and in your face, and I think it detracts from the music. I would prefer either

a) an entirely acoustic version of this album, not sure of one exists? Something along the lines of MTV's "unplugged series" , which was really awesome for those of you who remember that. I know this kind of contradicts floyd's entire psychadelia genre but before you rip me a new one, :wink: remember that they did release and orchestra version of either this or DSOTM (can't remember which one it was)

or
b) A Remastered version where all the special effects and heavy electronic portions are tamed at least a little. The opening riff and first 2 minutes of "wish you were here" is so muted compared to the rest of the music that comes in later that it's just disappointing. After the 1st 2 minutes, the backing tracks come in at least twice as loud and just overwhelm the song. It's just sad, one of my favorite songs has some of the worst mastering in my music collection :(

please advise, I'm looking forward to all the responses and recomendo's from the Floyd experts.

hoolio
Australia

Re: Pinkk Floyd Wish you were here acoustic version

Post by hoolio » 05 May 2018 02:03

As far as I know there is no acoustic version. My 1980's version of Wish You Where Here and the cd are both brightly lit in the upper frequencies and it can be fatiguing. I had a pressing back in the day but I don't remember any issues. I have also a remastered copy, released 2014? It is better behaved than the 1980's copy, I prefer it.
Taming side two to suit, you could adjust the treble control or look at a different cartridge, change the phono stage or its load settings. These are just ideas as I don't know what equipment you have.
Have you heard Dub Side Of The Moon by the Easy Star All-Stars version of DSOTM? I find it quite entertaining.

Good luck :D

draganm

Post by draganm » 05 May 2018 22:44

hoolio wrote:As far as I know there is no acoustic version. My 1980's version of Wish You Where Here and the cd are both brightly lit in the upper frequencies and it can be fatiguing. I had a pressing back in the day but I don't remember any issues. I have also a remastered copy, released 2014? It is better behaved than the 1980's copy, I prefer it.
Taming side two to suit, you could adjust the treble control or look at a different cartridge, change the phono stage or its load settings. These are just ideas as I don't know what equipment you have.
It's not really a matter of peaky uppers, it's just dirty. My systems tonal balance is IMHO perfect,and all my albums sound amazing. a few don't, and this is one of them. A lot the sound effects are way too loud, and some of the great instrumentals are just buried. I think it would take the master tapes and a full re-mix really to fix.
To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, if you have an original version of Jethro Tull's Aqualung, and compare it to the DCCC remaster, it's night and day. I was hoping someone would do similar here. I've heard the 2014 is not-bad, and I will probly buy it, but wish there were other options.

hoolio wrote:Have you heard Dub Side Of The Moon by the Easy Star All-Stars version of DSOTM? I find it quite entertaining.

Good luck :D
no, but next time I go to Jamaicia THAT version is going with me , it's awesome. Can't think of a better complement to a red stripe at the jerk hut next to the Ocean.

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 06 May 2018 02:52

Surely you have seen this -

from the Meltdown concert...

Jackangus

Post by Jackangus » 06 May 2018 03:09

Wish you were here is acoustic.

draganm

Post by draganm » 06 May 2018 05:19

citizenarcane wrote:Surely you have seen this -

from the Meltdown concert...
no, I have not, well until today. THANKS
It's excellent, and there's a 4LP box set and also full hi def digital blue ray , which is probably how I'll go on this one.
https://store.davidgilmour.com/product/ ... 4222_84671
huge difference between that when the Cello, drums and such come in and the original LP where all the backing instruments come in and drown out the acoustic guitars.

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 07 May 2018 01:28

It's excellent, and there's a 4LP box set and also full hi def digital blue ray , which is probably how I'll go on this one.
The video is from the dvd 'In Concert' -
David Gilmour in Concert is a DVD of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour's solo concert at the Royal Festival Hall, London in June 2001, as part of the Robert Wyatt-curated Meltdown festival.
I'm surprised to see that it's oop but available through resellers such as discogs https://www.discogs.com/David-Gilmour-D ... ter/294206. There was also a promo cd available it seems.

I have a few DG concerts, this is my favorite and worth seeking out.

draganm

Post by draganm » 15 May 2019 21:24

citizenarcane wrote:
07 May 2018 01:28
The video is from the dvd 'In Concert' -
David Gilmour in Concert is a DVD of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour's solo concert at the Royal Festival Hall, London in June 2001, as part of the Robert Wyatt-curated Meltdown festival.
I'm surprised to see that it's oop but available through resellers such as discogs https://www.discogs.com/David-Gilmour-D ... ter/294206. There was also a promo cd available it seems.

I have a few DG concerts, this is my favorite and worth seeking out.
saw your post too late, i bought " live in Pompei " and WYWH is absolutely RUINED by an audience sing-along. I really , really hate when this happens. :(
Sing along in your fricking shower, not at a concert people paid tens of thousands of dollars to see. Maybe someone pays $200. to $400. a ticket to hear their neighbor sing the song, i sure don't
At any rate, if you see the BD used and cheap then get it but $25.+ is too much due to the above :(

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 15 May 2019 22:53

draganm wrote:
02 May 2018 19:16
I listened to my copy of this the other night, it's not a great copy, pressed in an obscure European country, and it sounds "not great" to say the least. Some really bad distortion on the last song which I think is a problem with the pressing.
I'm trying to get a clean UK 1st pressing but you guys probly know well how much those are selling for. My other concern is I'm not really crazy about the mastering, a lot of the special effects and electronic key-boards are really forward and in your face, and I think it detracts from the music. I would prefer either

a) an entirely acoustic version of this album, not sure of one exists? Something along the lines of MTV's "unplugged series" , which was really awesome for those of you who remember that. I know this kind of contradicts floyd's entire psychadelia genre but before you rip me a new one, :wink: remember that they did release and orchestra version of either this or DSOTM (can't remember which one it was)

or
b) A Remastered version where all the special effects and heavy electronic portions are tamed at least a little. The opening riff and first 2 minutes of "wish you were here" is so muted compared to the rest of the music that comes in later that it's just disappointing. After the 1st 2 minutes, the backing tracks come in at least twice as loud and just overwhelm the song. It's just sad, one of my favorite songs has some of the worst mastering in my music collection :(

please advise, I'm looking forward to all the responses and recomendo's from the Floyd experts.
Just go with the CD version. More time listening, less time worrying about a particle of sand in the middle east.