The Loudness War

name that tune
phraidi
France

The Loudness War

Post by phraidi » 15 Apr 2018 10:00

Hi Everyone,

the loundess war is gonna piss me off, this stupid madness of over-compressed music kills every feelings and emotions of it.

my biggest disappointment was the last album of the Rolling Stones, Blue & Landsome, everything is too loud and it's a disaster to listen, saturations and distortions are the result of this stupid method of mastering for an album who could be a pearl.

unfortunately the same result on the lp's of Ed Sheeran - Divide, even if it is in 45rpm the sound is just linear with no soul, Bruno Mars - Unhortodox Jukebox over-compressed, and many more.

The only two records that i appreciate to listen are the last album of seal - Standards and sting - 57th & 9th.

Well i thing it's very sad to "kill" music like this :(

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: I'm angry against the loudness war

Post by rewfew » 15 Apr 2018 16:39

I'm with you. It's truly idiotic. And show's a total lack of musical appreciation. Sorry you got ripped. Glad you gave a heads up what not to waste money and time with.

drobo1

Post by drobo1 » 15 Apr 2018 23:17

My opinion is that most rock/pop music and their associated reissues are being mastered to play in the car or other portable devices (phones) and not in revealing hardware systems.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 16 Apr 2018 01:35

It's a tad long, but what a tell tale true story on and about that also... case taken to court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qHvOaUYwWQ

E.Man
long player
long player
Australia

Post by E.Man » 16 Apr 2018 05:43

drobo1 wrote:My opinion is that most rock/pop music and their associated reissues are being mastered to play in the car or other portable devices (phones) and not in revealing hardware systems.
Yer... case in point. The success of Amy Winehouse Back to Black. Massively succesful album with the Dapkings onboard. Shocking s**t to listen to on a revealing rig. Squashed on purpose to sound like 'Old AM radio". :(

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 16 Apr 2018 13:47

As E.Man eluded, sometimes an album would lose its dynamic range during the mixing process due to the artist's "vision" and there's only so much that the mastering process can do without resorting to EQ'ing the sound in some way. Look at infamous examples by Rick Rubin with Metallica's Death Magnetic and countless other releases he's worked on.

phraidi
France

Post by phraidi » 16 Apr 2018 16:17

tlscapital wrote:It's a tad long, but what a tell tale true story on and about that also... case taken to court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qHvOaUYwWQ

interesting video and it's exactly what i feel

oh god if only i could hold this piece of sh*t who had this stupid idea :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 17 Apr 2018 03:18

drobo1 wrote:My opinion is that most rock/pop music and their associated reissues are being mastered to play in the car or other portable devices (phones) and not in revealing hardware systems.
The first thing that came to mind was the dicussions abouut the mastering in the early 1960's and whatnot so the music could be heard to best effect even if being played on some foldout system given to soem 12 year old kid for his birthday. Clearly things haven't changed with humans much. Most of them are happy with sound that is no better than listening to a clock radio.

We're the oddballs on this planet apparently. #-o

phraidi
France

Post by phraidi » 17 Apr 2018 07:29

you are right Monkeyboy, when i was a kid, i had a cheap stereo turntable and i was surprised to hear some sounds really realistic like the band who played the song was in the same room as me.

Now with a hardware a little more elaborate, i loose this feeling (with recent productions, the old ones are always unbelievable).

i am sure that if a record company create a label with a quality mastering (for the artists who deserve it) it will works, it's sad to a vinyl lover like everyone here to buy a recent production and have this over modulation, saturation and other distortions on a music that we need to appreciate every subtlety.

well maybe one day ...

mrw00ds

Post by mrw00ds » 17 Apr 2018 08:18

It baffles me that Joe Public seems increasingly obsessed with higher and higher resolution vision, yet content with ever lower quality sound. A stroll round my local electrical superstore bears this out; super-duper mega-high-resolution flat screen tellys costing thousands of pounds at one end, crappy micro sound systems and Crosley turntables at the other. Go figure. #-o

DL110luvr
United States of America

Post by DL110luvr » 17 Apr 2018 08:59

Here in my part of the States (Northeast) most music on the radio is highly compressed and over-modulated....so listening to a recording (vinyl or otherwise......) produced this way probably sounds "normal" to many folks!!
Jeez....even on my Part 15 FM station I run an Orban 8100/A1 with less than 3 db compression....on a '50s/'60s Oldies format!! IMHO. better audio than the majority of commercial stations in the area (NPR notwithstanding..they can afford the best -- and flaunt it! And GOOD FOR THEM!!:))

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 18 Apr 2018 09:06

E.Man wrote:
Yer... case in point. The success of Amy Winehouse Back to Black. Massively succesful album with the Dapkings onboard. Shocking s**t to listen to on a revealing rig. Squashed on purpose to sound like 'Old AM radio". :(
I always thought that. I love those songs but I prefer listening to live versions. I have the original CD, don't know if the posthumous vinyl version is any better.

abril
long player
long player
England

Post by abril » 18 Apr 2018 13:13

It baffles me that Joe Public seems increasingly obsessed with higher and higher resolution vision, yet content with ever lower quality sound. A stroll round my local electrical superstore bears this out; super-duper mega-high-resolution flat screen tellys costing thousands of pounds at one end, crappy micro sound systems and Crosley turntables at the other. Go figure.
All deaf from the endless stream of empty,pointless blather :evil:

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 20 Apr 2018 19:33

RockerFrank wrote:
E.Man wrote:
I always thought that. I love those songs but I prefer listening to live versions. I have the original CD, don't know if the posthumous vinyl version is any better.
https://www.discogs.com/Amy-Winehouse-B ... se/9402988

Someone in the comments section for the above re-release posted this:
"The original 2006 mix of the album, however, features a “Motown pastiche compression” which resulted in some inherent distortion to the audio. These were removed from the half speed mastered Back To Black, cutting from “a vinyl specific newly re-mastered digital transfer made from the original studio mix files”..." All this means to me is that if compression was added to the original 2006 mix, this 2016 version has been remixed/remastered to exclude it which is great news because this album always sounded pretty awful to my ears.

James H

E.Man
long player
long player
Australia

Post by E.Man » 21 Apr 2018 08:57

james73_2008 wrote: Someone in the comments section for the above re-release posted this:
"The original 2006 mix of the album, however, features a “Motown pastiche compression” which resulted in some inherent distortion to the audio. These were removed from the half speed mastered Back To Black, cutting from “a vinyl specific newly re-mastered digital transfer made from the original studio mix files”..." All this means to me is that if compression was added to the original 2006 mix, this 2016 version has been remixed/remastered to exclude it which is great news because this album always sounded pretty awful to my ears.
James H
So ten years later they get around to putting it right like it should have been in the first place. I'm not rewarding that by chasing around and paying for a half speed remaster. Just make them right in the first place.