What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

name that tune
Post Reply
Jackangus
member
member
Posts: 67
Joined: 10 Mar 2018 20:11

What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by Jackangus » 21 Mar 2018 01:40

Hi everyone.
What does it mean?
I'm mystified. It's like magic writing.

Jackangus
member
member
Posts: 67
Joined: 10 Mar 2018 20:11

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by Jackangus » 21 Mar 2018 10:33

Someone must know, surely?

billshurv
broken record
Posts: 1775
Joined: 16 Oct 2014 15:38

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by billshurv » 21 Mar 2018 11:00

Discogs will Help. Those are the stamper numbers.

P700DEE
member
member
England
Posts: 150
Joined: 03 Jul 2012 09:08
Location: Egerton Kent
Contact:

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by P700DEE » 21 Mar 2018 11:37

billshurv wrote:Discogs will Help. Those are the stamper numbers.
And will tell you if you really have a first pressing ;)

Jackangus
member
member
Posts: 67
Joined: 10 Mar 2018 20:11

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by Jackangus » 21 Mar 2018 11:50

P700DEE wrote:
billshurv wrote:Discogs will Help. Those are the stamper numbers.
And will tell you if you really have a first pressing ;)
What does the Variant mean?
There is 22 variants on the Pink Floyd Animals first edition.
Looks like mine is variant 20 out of 22.

GTH
senior member
senior member
Posts: 534
Joined: 16 May 2009 03:09
Location: Winnipeg, MB ,Canada

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by GTH » 21 Mar 2018 13:09

Like I have said before, determining an actual, genuine "1st Edition" is like breaking the DaVinci code. Discogs is ok as a resource but consider that all data is user inputted, errors can and do occur.
When is an original no longer a 1st edition? After the 20th stamper from the 3rd mother?? the 200th stamper??? .......?

What I am more interested in Jack is; Is the lp in the play condition that was described and what you expected,
Anything beyond 2-3 tics/pops etc, both sides inclusive,(etc covers sound defects that are not of the tic/pop variety), would not be NM in MY opinion.

All things considered i'd rather have a quality NEW re-issue than a questionable original, but that's just me.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain
Posts: 1922
Joined: 01 May 2014 16:44
Location: Lancashire

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by Tonybro » 21 Mar 2018 18:47

So you've obviously found the version on Discogs.

With that in mind and you can match the matrix numbers/markings then you can say you have an early version. A1/B1 will nearly always be the 1st pressing, then you get into a whole world of pain around mothers and stampers as is alluded to above.

Start from the top of the Discogs entry and check the images to see if they match yours, check the label/catalogue number, check the notes section - things like the mention of cardboard thickness etc.

Remember, in the 60s/70s, vinyl records were pumped out in their millions and many versions of what looked to be the same thing will have been produced - that's why there are 266 versions of that album worldwide!

And as has also been mentioned, all this is only of relevance if you are trying to sell it on. If you are listening to it and keeping it, how it actually sounds is more important!

Jackangus
member
member
Posts: 67
Joined: 10 Mar 2018 20:11

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by Jackangus » 21 Mar 2018 23:10

Will be really interesting on how quiet these records are.
Will let you guys know when they are delivered and I have a wee listen.

GTH
senior member
senior member
Posts: 534
Joined: 16 May 2009 03:09
Location: Winnipeg, MB ,Canada

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by GTH » 02 Apr 2018 19:31

Jackangus wrote:Will be really interesting on how quiet these records are.
Will let you guys know when they are delivered and I have a wee listen.
Any update for us?

Jackangus
member
member
Posts: 67
Joined: 10 Mar 2018 20:11

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by Jackangus » 05 Apr 2018 20:03

GTH wrote:
Jackangus wrote:Will be really interesting on how quiet these records are.
Will let you guys know when they are delivered and I have a wee listen.
Any update for us?
Animals is very good, very good condition vinyl and sleeves and not too much crackle. Still too much background noise to be excellent.

Final cut is excellent, excellent condition vinyl and sleve. Very little noise at all. This sounds like what I would expect a brand new vinyl would sound like as far as background noise goes. Very happy indeed with this one.

Apoligies for the late reply.

E.Man
long player
long player
Australia
Posts: 1415
Joined: 07 Feb 2011 00:03
Location: Bega Valley, Australia

Re: What does A-4U, B4, mean on my 1st Edition Album.

Post by E.Man » 11 Apr 2018 03:21

Jackangus wrote:
GTH wrote:
Jackangus wrote:Will be really interesting on how quiet these records are.
Will let you guys know when they are delivered and I have a wee listen.
Any update for us?
Animals is very good, very good condition vinyl and sleeves and not too much crackle. Still too much background noise to be excellent.

Final cut is excellent, excellent condition vinyl and sleve. Very little noise at all. This sounds like what I would expect a brand new vinyl would sound like as far as background noise goes. Very happy indeed with this one.

Apoligies for the late reply.
Some vinyl was made noisy, and some still is.

I like mine quiet.

Try a cleaning process. I use a vacuum Record Cleaning Machine (RCM) and L'Art du Son fluid.

Post Reply