the home of the turntable

Should I buy this record?

name that tune

Should I buy this record?

Postby DarthMaul » 08 Jan 2018 03:15

I am asking you guys a question. Should I buy this album by Martha and The Vandellas? It's listed as being in VG condition. I can't afford an original in better shape due to the prices.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTHA-AND-THE ... r#viTabs_0
DarthMaul
long player
long player

United States of America

Re: Should I buy this record?

Postby JDJX » 08 Jan 2018 04:38

First let me say that I have bought most of my LPs from e-Bay and learned to sort out the offerings (the good from the bad).. and the good and bad sellers.

Having said that...
I personally would not purchase that particular LP from that seller. It's just a feeling I get about how he present his ad and his not so good feedback.

If I was in the market for that particular LP, I would go for this one.... for much less money and from a seller that has 100% favorable rating selling LPs.
He also uses the "Goldmine " rating system.
I have a much better feeling about that seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martha-the-Van ... 0005.m1851
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 08 Jan 2018 05:41

It's not the "stereo" version either, I'd pass.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 08 Jan 2018 15:24

There is nothing wrong with good mono.
In fact, some LPs sound better in mono.... as opposed to a later stereo version. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby KentT » 09 Jan 2018 01:34

And over 95% of Motown from that era is miles superior in mono than the tinny, treble boosted Stereo thin sounding mixes.
KentT
long player
long player

Postby JDJX » 09 Jan 2018 03:18

KentT wrote:And over 95% of Motown from that era is miles superior in mono than the tinny, treble boosted Stereo thin sounding mixes.

Exactly. :)

Those early recordings were mixed to sound best with basic mono audio equipment with a ceramic cartridge and over AM radio...in mono.
Back then most cars still had a single 6x9 speaker in the dash to blast out AM.

BTW one of my prized Motown LPs is the "Miracles Greatest Hits - From The Beginning"...a 2 LP set.
It was released in mono and in stereo but I have the MONO pressing. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby beat_truck » 09 Jan 2018 21:20

I wouldn't buy the record in the OP's link, especially at that price. It doesn't even look good. Maybe for a buck or two, I'd gamble on it. I agree that MANY mono releases sound WORLDS better than their stereo versions. Some early stereo releases, like those from the Beach Boys, for example, just sound HORRID. #-o Don't even get me started on the mono recordings that were butchered into the "Rechanneled for Stereo Effect" BS. :evil:
beat_truck

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 09 Jan 2018 21:56

I wonder where the OPer is.....

The auction in the link that I posted expired and the seller relisted it but.....it was at sale price and the seller has cancelled his sale price.

However, it's still cheaper than the one the OPer listed .
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby DarthMaul » 10 Jan 2018 01:28

I went for that album, but not the one in that listing.

I went for this one instead:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/111388725118?ul_noapp=true

The original price was $225, but I was able to make a $100 offer. I checked out the Goldmine value of the record first. The spindle hole shows far less wear than the other copy.
DarthMaul
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby MonkeyBoy » 11 Jan 2018 00:49

I hope it sounds good. I personally never buy anything that is said to be visually graded. Play graded only for this kid. There are too many examples of records that look good and sound like rice krispies or look not so good and sound like they have never been played.
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 11 Jan 2018 01:12

MonkeyBoy wrote:I hope it sounds good. I personally never buy anything that is said to be visually graded. Play graded only for this kid. There are too many examples of records that look good and sound like rice krispies or look not so good and sound like they have never been played.

Personally,I would never purchase an LP that expensive.

As far as Play grading..
That in its self is a bit ambiguous.
What is the criteria for play grading and what was it played on"?
How much noise was acceptable for him for a particular grade and was it play graded on a crossly, etc ;)
Was it play graded mainly for skips?
Also, some may say that the play graded it but in reality , they only played a couple of tracks and assumes everything else was the same.

I much prefer a a dealer with great feed back on visually grading/selling LPs
and stands behind whatever he sells . :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby DarthMaul » 11 Jan 2018 03:10

Shouldn't the spindle hole's condition be considered?

Here's another question: Is it a bad idea to go after the first mono pressing of the Beatles' album "Please Please Me"? I eventually plan to save up enough allowance money to attempt to get a great copy. However, with that one I will take NO chances. It must be a very great sounding copy or I won't get it.
DarthMaul
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 11 Jan 2018 04:15

DarthMaul wrote:Shouldn't the spindle hole's condition be considered?

Here's another question: Is it a bad idea to go after the first mono pressing of the Beatles' album "Please Please Me"? I eventually plan to save up enough allowance money to attempt to get a great copy. However, with that one I will take NO chances. It must be a very great sounding copy or I won't get it.

Spindle hole....
I have LPs that I bought new that have some wear on the spindle hole so, that is not a good indicator how good an LP is.
The idea of looking at a spindle hole comes from seeing if there is any tell tail wear from a cheap vintage record changer's spindle LP release. That sort of wear can be quite distinctive.... if you know what to look for.

I have the recent all analog mono remaster of "Please, Please Me" and it sounds great.
I recommend it .. if you can still find one.
Stereo versions are still available but it seems that the mono is sold out... at least on e-Bay.
I believe that Amazon still has some though.
This is the one you want....
https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Ple ... se/6065208

Even if you could find an original mono pressing in great NM shape... an almost impossibility.... you would have to rob Fort Knox to pay for it. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 11 Jan 2018 06:35

BTW, be aware that there are some LP dealers on e-Bay who are selling LPs at ridiculously high prices, trying to cash in on the vinyl revival.

If they are asking a very high price but taking offers, give then a low but reasonable number. Chances are they know they can't sell it at the high price and will accept you offer.
The worst that can happen is they will say no. You have nothing to lose.

Having said that... there are also many E-bay LP dealers who sell great used LPs at very sane prices.

Personally, I will never spend more than about $20-$25 for an LP ...used or new.
Most of my used LPs are in in the $6-$10 range and that includes some rare LPs.
Also, I rarely buy a used LP that is not NM or at least a good EX.
The key is to keep looking. Some dealers actually have no idea of the rare gem they might have. :)

BTW, Gold Mine prices just reflects what some have been suckered into paying for a particular LP... not the definitive price written in stone for any LP. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby DarthMaul » 13 Jan 2018 21:28

The record arrived in the mail. I cleaned it with Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions. No distortion (not even sibilance distortion), slightest bit of crackle at the end of the side but nothing serious. It sounds fine at the end of both sides. No feelable scratches or any hairlines that I could see. It appears to be well kept.

The cover appears to have some thin tearing damage at the extreme right side, but is otherwise solid. Could not see ringwear easily, and the spine is intact. I may have spent $104 on this record, but it was not wasted.
DarthMaul
long player
long player

United States of America

Next

Return to Music and Records