the home of the turntable

Sax album recommendations

name that tune

Sax album recommendations

Postby omegabri » 16 Dec 2017 16:35

Hi all

Just putting together a list for next years album search, and collection additions.
I'd like to add some nice powerful, dominating, soft sexy, or screaming saxophone albums.
I love slow blues and jazz, adore sax, love the screaming sax in the Pink Floyd albums etc., but not sure what artists and/or record titles to look for?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on who and what are your great sax albums and artists, for me to look up and search for :wink:

Cheers everyone :) Hope you guys are all great! :wink:

Bri :)
omegabri

United Kingdom

Re: Sax album recommendations

Postby plyscds » 16 Dec 2017 17:42

Ah, the saxophone. I had one years ago, though it wasn't my primary instrument. That was a clarinet which together with yours truly served the US Army for a time in a small public relations vein. I remember one of my bandmates, who envisioned himself a musical sophisticate, called the saxophone "an ill wind that no one blows good". I did not share his stand on the saxaphone, but he was entitled to his opinion.

So, my exposure to great saxophone music is limited. One performer I remember from the early-ish 1960s was Boots Randolph who put a lively little tune called "Yakety Sax" on the pop charts for a time. The mid-1960s saw The Buddy Rich Big Band emerge. This ensemble tried to preserve the depression era big band sound infused with mid-1960s musical offerings as arrangement inspirations. I have several of their albums. And then there was the later-1900s Kenny G. for whom you are free to form your own opinion about. Personally I did not dislike his musical offerings, but I wasn't moved to purchase any either.

Not much to go on, really. But maybe having a response to your thread-starter will inspire people who really know something about saxophone artists will add something to this beginning. Happy hunting!
plyscds
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 16 Dec 2017 17:55

Perhaps something by Junior Walker or The Coasters.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Coffee Phil » 16 Dec 2017 19:43

Hi Onegabri,

First I would suggest that you start with the "Three Tenors" of the swing era: Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, and Lester Young. After that move more modern to John Coltrane. An accessible album to start with him would The Stardust Sessions, then move on to Blue train and Giant Steps. After you love those you are ready for his Magnum Opus: "A Love Supreme".

On the Alto side, get everything you can find by Charlie Parker.

Phil

omegabri wrote:Hi all

Just putting together a list for next years album search, and collection additions.
I'd like to add some nice powerful, dominating, soft sexy, or screaming saxophone albums.
I love slow blues and jazz, adore sax, love the screaming sax in the Pink Floyd albums etc., but not sure what artists and/or record titles to look for?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on who and what are your great sax albums and artists, for me to look up and search for :wink:

Cheers everyone :) Hope you guys are all great! :wink:

Bri :)
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby TudorTurtle » 16 Dec 2017 20:23

A couple classics from Wayne Shorter; Speak No Evil and Weather Report's Heavy Weather.
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Postby omegabri » 17 Dec 2017 00:44

Thanks guys! Something for me to listen to and sort my preferences from :)

Bri :D
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby Budddhacide » 17 Dec 2017 06:36

If you like "screaming" sax, check out Marshall Allen (of the Sun Ra Arkestra)
Budddhacide

Canada

Postby Tonybro » 17 Dec 2017 09:26

I'd put anything by 'King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys' in there - they use a couple of Sax's in their repertoire.

Boys from the Black Country in the UK and do a unique type of Swing and Rock 'n' Roll and Blues and Jazz.

One of my favourites.

Tonybro
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby ralphrexfan » 17 Dec 2017 15:39

"Screaming saxophone albums" you say?

ralphrexfan

United States of America

Postby omegabri » 17 Dec 2017 16:24

Sonny Clarke sounds cool!...

Keep 'em coming guys :wink:
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby majerjack » 17 Dec 2017 16:31

I echo Coffee Phil's suggestions, but if screaming saxophone is what you truly want, check out some recordings from the late 1960s and early 1970s by Pharoah Sanders. Don't say I didn't warn you.
majerjack

Postby rewfew » 17 Dec 2017 19:14

From one of my favorite soul jazz albums. Willis Jackson's Bar Wars. Willis was a wailing sax player. He's coupled with two of the finest backing musicians, Charles Earland B3 organ, and Pat Martino guitar on this album. It's a scorcher.

rewfew

Postby vinyl master » 18 Dec 2017 01:47

Good recommendations so far...Has anyone put Stanley Turrentine's "Sugar" on the list? :-k

One of my favorite screaming sax n' soul records (and thanks, Tink, for mentioning him) is from Mr. Junior Walker and His All-Stars! His "It's A Gasss" record really is a gas and just scorches!

Last edited by vinyl master on 18 Dec 2017 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 18 Dec 2017 01:50

Oh, yessss!!

One of my happy thrift store finds!! 8)
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 18 Dec 2017 01:55

I would also recommend this one from one of the greatest session saxmen ever! A very upbeat version of the classic film theme...And I do love my funky jazz!

Last edited by vinyl master on 18 Dec 2017 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Music and Records