the home of the turntable

I was not prepared for Dave Brubeck

name that tune

I was not prepared for Dave Brubeck

Postby wojo58 » 16 Dec 2017 04:52

....and quartet on his LP "Take Five" (stereo version) . Settling on my Shure M97xe and some 18 year old single malt (and for reasons I cannot remember was reluctant to drink).......I was floored by the content. I had never heard his music before (except for that one quintessential tune). Count me a big fan. 8)

The Shure was perfect for the piano, sax, and double bass.....
wojo58

United States of America

Re: I was not prepared for Dave Brubeck

Postby DL110luvr » 16 Dec 2017 10:03

wojo58 wrote:....and quartet on his LP "Take Five" (stereo version) . Settling on my Shure M97xe and some 18 year old single malt (and for reasons I cannot remember was reluctant to drink).......I was floored by the content. I had never heard his music before (except for that one quintessential tune). Count me a big fan. 8)

LOL! First time I played "Take Five" was on an AR XA turntable....with a Shure M91ED cart!!:)
IMHO.....Brubeck was/is a musical genius whose work has not received the appreciation it should!
Enjoy Dave's music, your equipment....and that single malt (the latter in moderation, of course!!)....
DL110luvr

United States of America

Postby Coffee Phil » 16 Dec 2017 19:23

DL110luuvr,

I am also a fan of Dave Brubeck's music. Sadly he left us 5 years ago.

Phil

DL110luvr wrote:
wojo58 wrote:....and quartet on his LP "Take Five" (stereo version) . Settling on my Shure M97xe and some 18 year old single malt (and for reasons I cannot remember was reluctant to drink).......I was floored by the content. I had never heard his music before (except for that one quintessential tune). Count me a big fan. 8)

LOL! First time I played "Take Five" was on an AR XA turntable....with a Shure M91ED cart!!:)
IMHO.....Brubeck was/is a musical genius whose work has not received the appreciation it should!
Enjoy Dave's music, your equipment....and that single malt (the latter in moderation, of course!!)....
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby wojo58 » 16 Dec 2017 23:25

I picked it up for a song(sorry).....$2. I would say VG to NM condition (both record and cover). The changes in timing, rhythm, beat......the overlays of same......damn. Very progressive for it's time I would imagine. Interesting read on the cover as well
wojo58

United States of America

Postby mythrenegade » 16 Dec 2017 23:52

The Dave Brubeck Quartet with Gerry Mulligan “Last Set at Newport” is staggeringly good. Now that you are a fan, hunt down a copy. You won’t be disappointed.
mythrenegade

Postby Budddhacide » 17 Dec 2017 06:30

His albums tend to be mastered well, and the percussion is outstanding. Best of all you can get them cheap second hand. The 8 min march on "For Lola" is amazing. I use it to benchmark my setup.
Budddhacide

Canada

Postby wojo58 » 17 Dec 2017 17:52

Yes, the percussion! The brushes on the snare, etc....... I think I held my breath for about 30 seconds. Where I picked it up, there was also a mono version....should I hold out for stereo only ?
wojo58

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 17 Dec 2017 19:45

I agree. I have a 6 eye label mono pressing ... it sounds great.:)

I'm plenty old enough to remember when the title track was a top 40 hit.
The "Time Out" album title as it was originally called was changed to add "Take Five" to the title in the wake Take Five's popularity.

Anyway, I have been a Dave Brubeck Quartet fan ever since and now have a few of his LPs
Some of the early mono live recordings are among the very best.

I never thought that Dave was great pianist but much like The Beatles, the quartet always seem to equal more than the sum of it parts and this is why they have always stood out.

The DBQ has released many albums and it can be difficult to know what to get but, if you can find any of these LPs, I can recommend them. :)

DBQ_ albumsxxx.jpg

BTW, you know what a lot of M97xE owners know... that when properly set up, it can sound amazing and natural for all kinds of music.
This is why I keep going back the the Shure stylus. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 17 Dec 2017 21:45

BTW, I would not be too concerned if it is a mono or stereo release as they are all well recorded and mastered . :)

The important thing is to get a good copy of whatever and like a lot of LPs, the early pressings of a title are often the best. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby wojo58 » 18 Dec 2017 01:52

Hmmm, just thought about this..

If there is both a mono and stereo version, chances are it was originally recorded/mastered in mono, and then later re-mastered into stereo. Is that a fair guess......?
wojo58

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 18 Dec 2017 02:02

wojo58 wrote:Hmmm, just thought about this..

If there is both a mono and stereo version, chances are it was originally recorded/mastered in mono, and then later re-mastered into stereo. Is that a fair guess......?

Not necessarily.
There was time when stereo and mono LPs of the same title were sometimes both released at the same time as not everyone had a stereo system yet.

So, the mono version might just be the stereo version with both channels combined.
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby cminor7b5 » 18 Dec 2017 02:15

I'm a big Dave Brubeck fan. I definitely prefer the recordings with Paul Desmond and especially my favourite drummer Joe Morello. I just purchase Hank Garland's "Jazz Wind From a New DIrection" which features Joe Morello and is well worth a listen.

I think the recording Take Five had a lot to do with the HiFI boom.

cminor7b5

Canada

Postby wojo58 » 18 Dec 2017 02:19

BTW, you know what a lot of M97xE owners know... that when properly set up, it can sound amazing and natural for all kinds of music.
This is why I keep going back the the Shure stylus. :)

There's a thread like this somewhere..... :D

Anyway, I think I will keep the OEM stylus on the M97xe and just use it in my 3 cart rotation based on their strengths/weaknesses. I have the M97xe, AT7V, and the AT120eb. Each one shines/dims based on musical genres, pressings, masterings, etc.

Took me a while to realize there's no one setup :wink:
wojo58

United States of America

Postby audiopile » 18 Dec 2017 04:52

Stumbled onto a somewhat abused copy of the "Live at the Berlin Philharmonie" Brubeck Trio with Gerry Mulligan"- probably my favorite Brubeck recording . Recently was pleased to see this on Tidal and was a little surprised to see a couple of long tracks that aren't on the 2X LP. Apparently the CD version of this live recording also is the more complete recording . Mulligan is one of those musicians who just seemed to be able to light a fire under the groups he'd drop in on( right off hand -Yo Yo Ma and Vassar Clements seem to have this talent too). Someone told me that Brubeck and Mulligan had actually played together in college or while of college age ?One of the negatives of once working in the retail stereo biz is that popular "test" records can really get worn out for you ( If I never hear DSOM again this lifetime - that'll be fine by me!).Somehow - Take Five and Kind of Blue are still a musical pleasure -despite having heard both many - many times played thru almost any system you could assemble from the late 60's to the early 90's.
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby tamarmole » 18 Dec 2017 09:45

Time out is one of the great jazz albums and one of amazing albums released in 1959. There must have been something in the water in 1959, a year which had more than its fair share of amazing jazz lps including:

Brubeck, Time out
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue
Charlie Mingus, Mingus Ah Um
Ornette Coleman, The shape of jazz to come
John Coltrane, Giant steps

All great and well worth checking out if you haven't already (I particularly like the Ornette Coleman LP).
tamarmole

United Kingdom

Next

Return to Music and Records