the home of the turntable

Question for Phil Brown

name that tune

Question for Phil Brown

Postby MonkeyBoy » 13 Nov 2017 01:42

Phil, if I remember correctly you wrote some time back that the scuttlebutt was the master tape for Layla And Other Love Songs was damaged by some groupie spilling coffee on it in the studio and it had to be wiped off which caused it to sound dark and closed up ever since. At least that's what I believe you said. I tried looking for the thread and finally gave up. It's late and I'm tired.

Anyway, is that what you really did write? Which tape was it, the master tape or the multitrack studio tape or whatever you actually call the original tape that the recording goes on first.

Did they actually wipe it off or did they blott it dry? This comes up from tie to time elsewhere and I just want to get things right if I write anything about it that others will read.

What do people in the business call the original tape anyway?
Music isn't an escape from life, it's one of the reasons to be alive in the first place!
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

United States of America

Re: Question for Phil Brown

Postby philbrown » 13 Nov 2017 03:48

Not me. Cut in Miami as I remember.
But a reel of tape is pretty solid. Spill something on it and you'd have enough time to wipe it up. And a pass through the machine on a slow fast wind wiping it with a rag would take care of it and it would take about as long as it too you to read that.
The original tape is called-wait for it-the master.
Phil Brown
philbrown

Postby philbrown » 13 Nov 2017 03:51

Oh, and the tape is made out of polyester and doesn't absorb water.
Phil Brown
philbrown

Postby MonkeyBoy » 14 Nov 2017 20:17

I could have sworn it was you who wrote that. Now I'm going to have to do another search for whatever thread that was in. As far as liquid being able to penetrate a reel of tape I had wondered about that. I wasn't sure how it could have been spooled by a tape machine so loosely. Anyway, thanks for your answer. Now I have some searching to do.
Music isn't an escape from life, it's one of the reasons to be alive in the first place!
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby MonkeyBoy » 14 Nov 2017 20:20

One more question- if the original tape is called the master, is that the same master from which laquers are cut? I had been under the impression that the master used for that was something made from "the master" that had been tweaked for better balance, etc.
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby philbrown » 14 Nov 2017 21:19

MonkeyBoy wrote:One more question- if the original tape is called the master, is that the same master from which laquers are cut? I had been under the impression that the master used for that was something made from "the master" that had been tweaked for better balance, etc.

Yes. The master is the tape used. We "tweak" as we go. Mastering consoles are what is known as AB consoles. They have two identical sets of controls-level, EQ, etc-and if a change is needed between songs we just crossfade to the other set of stuff.
Some folks-not me-make "cutting masters" that incorporate the tweaking so they don't have to do it as you go. Then there are the copies that are made so that in 5 years when new lacquers-called masters are needed (confusing, isn't it?)-they will have the EQ and level changes of the original.
Phil Brown
philbrown

Postby analogaudio » 15 Nov 2017 23:30

In the earlier stages of the production process the original recordings are called multitrack masters. These are used to create a stereo final mix recording and that is called the stereo master. These processes take place at the recording studio and the stereo master recording is then forwarded to the cutting room.
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby philbrown » 15 Nov 2017 23:34

analogaudio wrote:In the earlier stages of the production process the original recordings are called multitrack masters. These are used to create a stereo final mix recording and that is called the stereo master. These processes take place at the recording studio and the stereo master recording is then forwarded to the cutting room.

Very concise.
Phil Brown
philbrown

Postby MonkeyBoy » 17 Nov 2017 00:07

Thanks. I had read about this stuff so long ago that the details were getting as fuzzy as that stuff on the bottom shelf of my refrigerator. Well, dinner time! :D
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

United States of America

Return to Music and Records