Full Dual 1224 service

twice the fun
Ironmastro

Full Dual 1224 service

Post by Ironmastro » 17 Oct 2017 16:21

This is my first time posting here so I would like to thank everyone for the amazing informations I have found on this site.
Recently I decided to bring my father's stereo, a Grundig Studio 80, to its former glory.
The system works fine but the turntable, a Dual 1224, has seen better days and I have some question to get the best results out of the servicing.
Like in many others cases, the automatic system doesn't work since the pimple is gone to pieces.
I know that a nice kit is sold from one of the users but being in America is quite distant.
Is this a good alternative?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Steuerpimpel-Gli ... 100623.m-1

I have found the Shell Gadus but I am not sure what oil to use since "sewing machine oil" is pretty general and I have read that differet grades exist. Any specific product available in Europe? I could easily get this but I'm not sure if it's correct:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/20ml-Impregnatin ... Sw-zxWn6FY

The Dual CDS 660 cartridge and stylus are 40 years old and I am also thinking about changing them with a new unit. Is a new 660 good or can I improve by getting another cartridge?
The tonearm damper looks fine but has clearly lost some oil, is service required?
Thanks again to everyone

Riccardo

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Full Dual 1224 service

Post by dualcan » 17 Oct 2017 21:14

Welcome Riccardo!
For a comprehensive oiling kit and the replacement for the worn pimple (223 777), Alfred Langer in Europe has both:
http://www.dualfred.de/advanced_search_ ... c_subcat=0&=
and the oil kit:
http://www.dualfred.de/Standard-Parts/L ... 31-en.html
All his lubes are numbered exactly as described in the service manual's lube instructions.
Make sure you clean the old stuff before putting on new, otherwise the chemical reaction will create sludge and may harden.
For a detailed look at a similar restoration to the 1224/5, I have a 1228 picture tutorial on my webpage (blue ball to the left) under Service Tips.
Regards,
k

Ironmastro

Post by Ironmastro » 30 Nov 2017 00:20

I managed to get some free time and now following your advice the turntable greatly improved! My father is very happy to see it run again.
The last thing I don't seem to get right is the stop mechanism: by selecting stop the tonearm doesn't raise mid record but only at the end. The start mechanism and the reset one at the end of the record work perfectly. Any ideas why?

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 30 Nov 2017 02:02

Hi,
For the Stop to work, check is the rocker arm (part of 199- Fig 18 item A) is free to move up and down. Next check if 208 is free to contact cam and make sure cam is cleaned as per Cam guide in the Servicing sticky above *servicing Dual TT's". See manual page 10 "Stop Switching" also.
Regards,
k

DSJR
long player
long player

Post by DSJR » 30 Nov 2017 19:11

Ceramic cartridges, of which I believe the Dual 660 to be, don't usually go off in themselves, although the stylus suspensions can harden, messing up tracking ability on modern 'hot' cuts. I have a fair selection of old ceramic models and they're actually quite fun as the sound is very 'direct' in contrast to a magnetic type. So to start with, get a 'double diamond' stylus and try this.

If you need a replacement cartridge, I believe 'new' originals can be sourced from various European sources (I got into trouble for mentioning one of them), so do some 'Googling' if necessary, but unless the existing cartridge has been badly treated, it should be fine.