the home of the turntable

Refurb on my damaged Dual 1219

twice the fun

Refurb on my damaged Dual 1219

Postby wino007 » 12 Jul 2017 03:59

Refurb on my damaged Dual 1219 [NOTE - transferred over from Turntables & Tonearms]

Hi Guys
Helloha. Newbie to using forums and new to this site.
I inherited my Dad's 1219 when he passed a few years ago. His pride and joy, bought from new along with a Fisher valve amp and matching Fisher speakers - all circa 1967/69 - purchased in the US. The Dual came over to me in absolutely mint condition with orig manuals and even the purchase paperwork. Very sadly it got trashed moving to Australia, so heartbroken I stashed it in a cupboard and forgot about it. Recently I have decided to repair and refurbish it in his honor and for my love of spinning vinyl.
Where do I start? Aesthetically I see that the dust cover is destroyed, the head is broken off the arm and the wooden plinth is cracked and will need repairs. I have not tried to turn it on until I get my head around doing this correctly.
I am fairy competent with my hands and not afraid to take on the task.
Can I get some guidance please? Or can someone point me to any repair documentation?
Some piccies incl for context.
Appreciated.
W.
Attachments
IMG_5723.JPG
IMG_5721.JPG
IMG_5720.JPG
IMG_5719.JPG
IMG_5718.JPG
wino007

Australia

Re: Refurb on my damaged Dual 1219

Postby Tinkaroo » 12 Jul 2017 10:18

I think it can be revived with a bit of care, but whatever you do don't turn it on until some items are repaired first. Klaus(Dualcan) has a website where he shows some detailed maintenance of this model, but you definitely want to get the tonearm and suspension fixed first.

The red spring next to the tonearm base is one of the suspension springs which you should set aside till you get to that stage of the repair.

You should also detach the headshell from the tonearm, and try to repair the cartridge (Shure M91ED) which has separated from it's base. It is a good cartridge, and the headshell should be fine too.

Klaus will be the best person to let you know about the tonearm repair and testing the bearings out, etc.. It is a great turntable, plus it belonged to your dad which makes it even more important to restore.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby wino007 » 13 Jul 2017 03:30

Thanks Tinkaroo.

Exciting to take on, but daunting starting off a zero knowledge base - even unraveling and learning the terminology requires some serious thinking.......LOL!! It is great and keen to get started.

I did download the relevant manuals - and I was advised to test the single / multi-play lever first to make sure the "dearing ring" is OK > SO FIRST QUESTION - do I just gently ease it back of forth?

AND A STRATEGY TO GET STARTED?....I am just not sure what to do? Follow the "Service for Amateurs" guide I downloaded? would that set a direction for me?

Klaus? you out there?

Appreciated.

Thx
Wayne.
wino007

Australia

Postby Tinkaroo » 13 Jul 2017 09:44

Hi Wayne:

It is possible that Klaus is away visiting family or such but he will be able to help you when he checks back in.

So, the first step in the strategy will be to be patient and gather information.

Even though it is important to check the dearing ring for damage, I would first examine the single/multi sleeve at the bottom of the adjustment mechanism to see if it is broken or badly cracked. If it is the original sleeve they tend to crack and become brittle after 45 or so years. It will need to be replaced with a fresh ring to hold the two tiny ball bearings in place as well as cleaning the old lubricant and adding fresh lubricant.

If you force the mechanism or try moving it with the single/multi sleeve broken you will risk damage to the dearing ring.

You may want to order a single/multi ring, some alvania lubricant and a stueurpimpel so that you have them ready when it comes time to service the unit.

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum on how to remove the chassis from the base(plinth). The plinth can probably be fixed with a bit of wood glue.

The lid can be replaced if you want a pristine one by a used one, or you can attempt to repair it if you have the broken sections. If you do a search within this forum there are some good tips on cover repair. Here is one many of such threads.:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=89977&hilit=dual+cover+repair
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby dualcan » 13 Jul 2017 16:42

Hi,
Having Grand kids in the house--is fun--especially 8 year olds...
While I'm bending my mind around parenting-again- it's been a while,,,
Have a look at the previous threads written on the 1219/1229 multi/single switching and the rubber ring which is crucial (must be subtle) for these units.
Also, have a look at the restoration process for both on my webpage under Service tips
The motor and cam service guide can be downloaded either form the Servicing Dual TT" thread above or fom my website as well.
One more week--- then on to the older one for another ten days..
With a smile 8)
k
Klaus Adlhoch, fmr. Assistant Service Manager,
Noresco -N.Q.I.-Dual of Canada,
Area of expertise: Tech Training and Consumer Service P.R.
Associated with Dual till Thompson era.
Favorite Duals: TG 12a, 1009, 721.
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby wino007 » 13 Jul 2017 23:06

Hi Guys

Dualcan - thanks - will check them out on your site - thanks!

Tinkaroo - sticky at the top of this forum? - I cannot see anything, pls advise?

Thx
Wayne.
wino007

Australia

Postby wino007 » 14 Jul 2017 02:31

Dualcan - awesome leanings off your site! Thx......

Sticky! Doh - worked that one out with a bit of brain power!!
wino007

Australia

Postby dualcan » 14 Jul 2017 03:17

\:D/
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby wino007 » 16 Jul 2017 23:20

Well, some progress........I got a dedicated table set up with proper lighting and started buying things I might need.

3 questions - the first 2 are seemingly challenges of been in Aus!

It does not seem like I can lay my hands on chloroform to repair the plexi dust cover. What are alternatives?

and, I cannot get the Alvania grease here - I researched and see that "Lubricants made with lithium or lithium hydroxystearate are equivalent to Shell Alvania Greases." Here is Aus that would be "Shell Gadus S2 V100" - is this correct?

Lastly - looking at the snapped magnesium head - can this be glued with for example an epoxy?

Thx
Wayne.
wino007

Australia

Postby dualcan » 17 Jul 2017 00:09

Hi Wayne,
The Gadus is exactly what's called for. The head can be epoxied but make sure you get it on straight. I would recommend you use as little as possible and after a few hours when the thing is not cured, check to see if the head is parallel to the platter. I check this with a mirror:
1019 E T 006.JPG

It should also be parallel with the fourth record (stacked), seen from the side.
Unfortunately I never had any success glueing that specific plastic used in the tinted covers but admittedly, did not use chloroform.
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby wino007 » 17 Jul 2017 04:55

Hi Guys

A bit of breaking news......I have been scouring forums in Aus to see if I can find other Aus based enthusiasts / collectors.

I have come across a guys who refurbs and sells vintage audio as a hobby. He tells me he has a 1219 he is just finishing off and will be selling soon......!!! The report is that it is in full working order, very good condition, full refurbised, incl dust cover.

Can anyone advise a realistic indicative value/cost? Of course it is hard to knock out a fixed price......but assuming it checks the boxes as above, what is a sensible price guide?

And one more, what should I be on the look out of? Anything obvious to ask? He lives in another state but luckily I can get it picked up first hand.....just that I cannot see a demo of it it or have a first hand inspection - aside from some photos......

Appreciated.

Thx
Wayne.
wino007

Australia

Postby spensar » 17 Jul 2017 05:04

wino007 wrote: I cannot get the Alvania grease here - I researched and see that "Lubricants made with lithium or lithium hydroxystearate are equivalent to Shell Alvania Greases." Here is Aus that would be "Shell Gadus S2 V100" - is this correct?

There are different variations of Gadus, the one that has been referenced as a replacement is Gadus S2 V220. Found it online in Australia here:

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/00947197/grease-gadus-s2-v220-2-shell-450gm

Check auto part stores.

Of course, moot if you buy the new one and don't keep the old one.
spensar
contributor

Canada

Postby wino007 » 17 Jul 2017 05:44

Everyone here is just so helpful, kind and nice.

Thank you for the heads up on the alt grease.......

Re: possible new 1219 alternative > assuming I can get it - and AFFORD it - I will not want to give up on my Dad's machine......my long term dream is to get his one up and running anyways. I think once I get into it and have looked under the chassis I will get a better idea.

WORST case scenario if I unveil complete devastation - I would consider migrating key parts over to the "new" one so that his 1219 can live in spirit......

Hmmmmm.
wino007

Australia

Postby Hugues TR4 » 17 Jul 2017 08:53

Hi Wayne,

Here in Belgium, a fully reconditioned (or so advertised) 1219 can reach from 100 to 200€ on the 2ndHand.be site.
I bought three of them so far for between 35 and 45€, advertised "for parts" or "non working".
A little tweaking was usually enough to make them work and a good servicing made them fully operational again.
The first one had a fried motor and it cost me another 40€ to get a new one.
I think if I add the fun working on them and the pleasure of meeting nice and helpful fellow fans on this forum, it was well worth the money spent!
Fully support your idea of resurrecting your Dad's Dual. Double satisfaction!
Cheers,

Hugh.
Dual 1019/Shure M97xE/Jico SAS stylus + 1219/Shure V15 III + 1225
Thorens TD 146 & TD 166/Ortofon OMB5 and OM40 carts
Marantz Mod 6170/Marantz E 5000 cart
RCA 45 J-2 RP 190 record changer (1952)
Hugues TR4
long player
long player
contributor

Belgium

Postby Tinkaroo » 17 Jul 2017 11:48

wino007 wrote:Everyone here is just so helpful, kind and nice.

Thank you for the heads up on the alt grease.......

Re: possible new 1219 alternative > assuming I can get it - and AFFORD it - I will not want to give up on my Dad's machine......my long term dream is to get his one up and running anyways. I think once I get into it and have looked under the chassis I will get a better idea.

WORST case scenario if I unveil complete devastation - I would consider migrating key parts over to the "new" one so that his 1219 can live in spirit......

Hmmmmm.

I agree that your Dad's 1219 is going to be worth the effort, but you need to take your time and do it right.

I will send you a PM on the pricing of a refurbished 1219 since I don't like to encourage yard sale or fleabay pirates on prices.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Next

Return to Dual