Dual 1015/1019 Aftermarket Headshell Problems

twice the fun
pwreimers

Re: Dual 1015/1019 Aftermarket Headshell Problems

Post by pwreimers » 06 May 2019 22:27

Calypte wrote:
05 May 2019 04:28
...The fit was very tight, and it didn't occur to me that I was stressing the pin that holds the lever. Now I'm worried that someday it may just pop off suddenly, due to the stress. ...
You are right to worry about it, as the pin is under stress continuously. Mine popped off after just a few cartridge carrier mounts.

Here's the fix:
P1010285.JPG
open up the shield
(42.93 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
P1010286.JPG
dremel bottom cutter
(30.39 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
P1010288.JPG
chuck lightly
(81.69 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
P1010289.JPG
skim off bottom of carrier
(31.14 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
You'll have to 'ballpark' the skim depth.

Slimtech

Post by Slimtech » 13 Aug 2019 21:00

I thought I'd chime in here, I just bought two of these. Yes, a tight fit onto the tonearm, yes had to firmly move the lever lock into place. These also don't have the grooves to use the overhang gauge which I bought also.

pwreimers how did the fix you posted work out for you?

Regards, slim

pwreimers

Post by pwreimers » 19 Sep 2019 15:57

Slimtech wrote:
13 Aug 2019 21:00
...I just bought two of these. Yes, a tight fit onto the tonearm, yes had to firmly move the lever lock into place.
how did the fix you posted work out for you?
Regards, slim
Hey Slim,

The repaired cartridge holder works well to this day. I've had it into several 1015's and no issue with a tight fit. I estimated the depth-of-cut close enough; the 'wave' spring washer on the tonearm pin is crucial.

I think the design changed in that the holder I received has copper foil inside and today's product might be shim stock, which would make the repair more difficult.

Obviously, if they still make the product with the same 3-D mold data (it sounds like they do from your post) I would not recommend them. My experience was that it took a few times of mounting the holder in the tonearm before the post broke off.

Regards, Pete
Slimtech wrote:
13 Aug 2019 21:00
...These also don't have the grooves to use the overhang gauge which I bought also...

Regards, slim
I remember that! Why, I don't know. When I asked about it, their response was 'just align the back edges' to use the gauge. Little do they know how useful those grooves are. I think they're just lazy. As an engineer, I remember numerous times I had to explain to people the reasoning why a particular feature was in a product. If it was a product I inherited from another engineer and I could not explain it, the idiot would want to redline the drawing to eliminate the feature thinking it unnecessary added expense!

The number of oversights both of the aftermarket holders have now numbers three.
1. this post: the front thickness
2. missing side grooves you mention
3. another post covers this, from another aftermarket holder: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 7&t=111809