the home of the turntable

Audio technica at95e

twice the fun

Audio technica at95e

Postby Marcmills » 21 Apr 2017 00:30

Hi all, I have a 505-1 and I am using a audio technica 95e . Interested to see what other people use ? Is it worth getting a better cartridge or is the 95e good enough for my old deck.
Marc.
Marcmills

United Kingdom

Re: Audio technica at95e

Postby Sunwire » 21 Apr 2017 01:15

What is the rest of your system?
Sunwire
contributor

United States of America

Postby Melos Antropon » 21 Apr 2017 01:20

The AT 95E is a remarkable cartridge in it's price range. An old favorite, it has survived several complete overhauls of the Audio-Technica cartridge family line, and continues to delight it's many owners. One reviewer even described it by saying that it sounded "better than it had a right to, at its price" (it is about $37, street).
Yes, there are better cartridges, but not at anywhere near it's price. I use one as backup cartridge, and wouldn't be without one.

Tony
Melos Antropon

United States of America

Postby Marcmills » 21 Apr 2017 07:34

Sunwire wrote:What is the rest of your system?

NAD 3220 pe
jvc sk51 speakers.
Marcmills

United Kingdom

Postby stratokaster83 » 21 Apr 2017 14:06

I think AT95E is a bit too low in compliance for the tonearm of your 505-1. Maybe something like AT120E (while is discontinued but still available) will be better, although the extent of such an improvement is debatable.
stratokaster83

Ukraine

Postby DSJR » 21 Apr 2017 17:14

Like the equally ubiquitous Denon DL110 at higher price, the AT95e will work in practically anything and with absolutely NO temperament in my experience. Once the 'half inch adaptor' and screws are added to the arm, it's not so 'ultra low mass' any more, so the 505-1 arm should be fine for the AT95E. The Ortofon fitted as original wasn't hugely high compliance either I remember and today, my OM5 is a tough old nail and set (by Pro-ject in their cheapest decks) to a nominal 2g downforce.

I've used the 95E at 1.8g in all manner of decks, from 'serviced' Garrard SP25's to springy belt drives at silly money (Linn, Systemdek and Luxman) fitted often (at the time) with Mission 774 tonearms, with which the 95E has a definite sonic bond. The sound isn't the clearest around, but it never draws attention to itself either and it sounded really nice in a Lenco GL78 my father had, the beefy 'drive' of the deck suiting the cartridge so well I remember.

Not my money, but I'd look on US stylus-needle sites for the third party 'HE' or similar stylus version. I'm told it's very good and before anyone says the basic generator isn't good enough, may I remind you that the basic innards served in the Linn K9 and K18 cartridges costing rather more than the donor 95E body, albeit with 'better' diamonds and tweaked suspensions fitted to adjust damping and so on.
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby nuso » 21 Apr 2017 18:15

I've used AT95e on Dual CS435, which has also somewhat low nass tonearm. I then switched to NOS Acutex LPM412 STR which really sings on Dual.

Here's my video of AT95e + Dual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHZO-hknWk
nuso

Czech Republic

Postby Sunwire » 24 Apr 2017 03:13

How do you like the sound?
If you are happy with it, keep it.
If you want more detail, better tracking, and a smoother treble, a better cartridge can give you that.
The simplest route may be to buy a better stylus for the AT-95E.
LPGear has several options. Scroll down this page to see them listed on the left.
Several people here have recommended the VL stylus. I think the SE stylus might not make enough difference to be worth buying unless you NEED a new stylus because yours is worn out.
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATSAT0095E.html
Sunwire
contributor

United States of America

Postby Minstrel SE » 24 Apr 2017 13:17

The AT95E is better than some people give it credit for.

Solid dependable and a good sound. You probably dont need much more on the 505-1. Its not "ideal" for that ULM arm but its not a deal breaker

You could go down the ADC route but they are discontinued now or you could try the TKS49 original Ortofon on there if you can find one. There are options but its a personal choice. I try different cartidges because I got them included on some good deals

You will get more nuance and fine detail with a better cartridge but Im not sure the 505-1 is worth spending too much on a cartridge. Get a decent enough sound and play some vinyl.

When the time comes for an upgrade my view is that its best to put the money towards a better turntable and then upgrade cartridges.

All the best with it
Minstrel SE

United Kingdom

Postby Marcmills » 24 Apr 2017 13:46

Thanks for the replies and knowledge. I totally understand my table is entry level and old. I wanted old. There was just something not sounding right. So what I did was remove the cartridge , zero anti skate and counter weight and start again. When I set the anti skate this time I used a blank vinyl rather than trust the dial. Wow I can't believe it's the same table , it sounds amazing for what it is..... the anti skate dial was reading a lot heavier than the record . Having read all about the 95e I see why they are so rated. Happy now. Marc.
Marcmills

United Kingdom

Postby nuso » 24 Apr 2017 15:52

If you can, use short phono cable from turntable to your phono and set the capacitance as low as possible. AT95e likes to see capacitance of 200pF or less for good treble response.
nuso

Czech Republic

Return to Dual