the home of the turntable

dual 1228 auto start

twice the fun

dual 1228 auto start

Postby calgarysaurus » 11 Jan 2017 06:45

I now have this problem with my 1228. When I start by using the start lever, the arm will lift up but not move over. It returns to rest and shuts off. However, if at the end, the arm lifts and returns to rest properly. I am guessing this means the steuerpimple is OK.

Thoughts?
calgarysaurus

Canada

Re: dual 1228 auto start

Postby maggie93 » 11 Jan 2017 07:48

The mechanism needs cleaning and re-lubing after decades of neglect.
Various moving parts are now likely seized up due to the old grease turning to glue.
H.D. Thoreau: ......Simplify!
maggie93
contributor

United States of America

Postby calgarysaurus » 11 Jan 2017 21:56

Thanks for your reply. I have already relubed practically everything I can.

Any other ideas?
calgarysaurus

Canada

Postby dualcan » 11 Jan 2017 23:44

Hi,
There is a restoration of the 1228 on my website.
Look at pic 4/61 which shows an "overdosed" cam. The lube inhibits the switch lever 166 from switching. Pic 34/61 shows the cam cleaned and relubed. See Cam service guide in the Servicing Dual TT's thread above.
I'm assuming the pimple is in proper order, since the arm returns. Also make sure the arm isn't hemmed in by too high an adjustment of the lift barrel 68. It is very often cracked or just too loose to hold back the excessive lift from the lift rod. The arm must have play when the auto system (start,stop, return) lifts the arm - see fig 25 and its remedy on page 25. The lift barrel (68) is or will be available very shortly on Shapeways. I believe my son is trying out another material besides the first test material.
Regards,
k
Klaus Adlhoch, fmr. Assistant Service Manager,
Noresco -N.Q.I.-Dual of Canada,
Area of expertise: Tech Training and Consumer Service P.R.
Associated with Dual till Thompson era.
Favorite Duals: TG 12a, 1009, 721.
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby calgarysaurus » 13 Jan 2017 05:06

Thank you ever so much. The lift barrel was the problem. I had to back it off a little to seemingly loosen some tension in the cue mechanism. I can't say I truly understand, but it worked!
calgarysaurus

Canada

Postby dualcan » 13 Jan 2017 20:46

Hi,
That has a simple explanation. The lift rod (248) is made of two interconnecting parts with a compression spring in the middle. It is the compression of these two parts of the lift rod via the setting of the adjuster barrel (68) which allow the arm to move. Here's why:
The main lever (173) pushes the lift rod up to enable horizontal travel (arm is clear of record and rest post). If this pushing force is not controlled/adjusted/reduced by the barrel(68), then the lift rod, with the upper pimple (66) on top, will push the arm onto the adjuster bolt (60). The arm can't move horizontally because it is held tight by bolt 60 and pimple 66. Now the lower pimple (239) simply can not overcome this hold and simply slides across the surface of the main lever 173 instead.
By decreasing the amount of lift with the barrel, the arm will not be locked horizontally, thus allowing the lower pimple to hold and not slide on the main lever and thereby move the arm horizontally. The adjusted amount of freedom to be set by the barrel is shown in Fig 25 as previously stated.
Hope this explains it a bit better,
Regards,
k
Klaus Adlhoch, fmr. Assistant Service Manager,
Noresco -N.Q.I.-Dual of Canada,
Area of expertise: Tech Training and Consumer Service P.R.
Associated with Dual till Thompson era.
Favorite Duals: TG 12a, 1009, 721.
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Return to Dual