the home of the turntable

Dual 1249 Issues

twice the fun

Dual 1249 Issues

Postby Tinkaroo » 06 Dec 2016 20:38

I just got my newly acquired 1249 which had been serviced and was working well before it was shipped.

It was well packed and there is no obvious damage but there are a couple of probably related issues.

1- The automatic start does not function. The steuerpimpel is intact and new.

2-This is probably related to number one. If I start it by moving the arm manually there seems to be some resistance(much more than normal) and the tonearm gets stuck in one position on the platter when the stylus is on the record no matter what part of the record it is on.

The tonearm was balanced and 1.25 gms stylus pressure and anti skating.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Re: Dual 1249 Issues

Postby jdjohn » 06 Dec 2016 21:01

Sorry you're having trouble with your new toy, Tink. The first thing I would check is to make sure the shut-off bar (part 234 668) is properly attached to the tonearm segment (236 915). There should be a washer (maybe white nylon?) and e-clip securing the bar to a peg on the segment.
jdjohn
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 06 Dec 2016 21:16

jdjohn wrote:Sorry you're having trouble with your new toy, Tink. The first thing I would check is to make sure the shut-off bar (part 234 668) is properly attached to the tonearm segment (236 915). There should be a washer (maybe white nylon?) and e-clip securing the bar to a peg on the segment.

It appears to be. I did just now find a small metal part that looks like an elongated letter J about 1" long on the longest end and 1/2" on the other side and about 1/8" at the 180 degree bend.

I have trouble finding things in a Pdf.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby jdjohn » 06 Dec 2016 21:27

Hmmm...might be either the cam follower lever (168 in the diagrams) or the anti-skate lever (248). Those aren't part numbers, but rather the label numbers in the diagrams.
jdjohn
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 06 Dec 2016 21:35

jdjohn wrote:Hmmm...might be either the cam follower lever (168 in the diagrams) or the anti-skate lever (248). Those aren't part numbers, but rather the label numbers in the diagrams.

Thanks for your help.

As far as I can see they look OK, but then again I'm not an expert on what to look for on them.

Does anybody have any idea what that loose part I found might be? It looks like a clip of some sort. Like a long skinny staple with half of one side cut off.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby jdjohn » 06 Dec 2016 21:50

That actually sounds like position item 101 - yoke spring - which is part of the speed control assembly.

For your auto-start and tonearm issue, have you tried locking the tonearm in the rest, and then flip the start switch and let it cycle through in the locked position? Sometimes going through that process will reset it.
jdjohn
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 06 Dec 2016 22:19

jdjohn wrote:That actually sounds like position item 101 - yoke spring - which is part of the speed control assembly.

For your auto-start and tonearm issue, have you tried locking the tonearm in the rest, and then flip the start switch and let it cycle through in the locked position? Sometimes going through that process will reset it.

I tried locking the tonearm and cycling it several times.

That piece I mentioned has two sharp 90 degree bends and is probably only about a 1/16" in between arms.The longer arm is tapered slightly and rounded at the end.
PS-I think this piece I found may be unrelated to tonearm lateral resistance issue.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby jdjohn » 06 Dec 2016 22:49

Yeah, if yours has a cover on the bottom of it, that sounds like one of the staples that would hold the bottom cover onto the plinth around the edge.

Is the control lever properly seated into its support, and the peg into the main cam track? If not, and the lever is pressing onto the pimpel, it would restrict movement, and if the peg is not in the cam track, proper movement of the arm as the peg traces through the track would not occur.
jdjohn
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 06 Dec 2016 23:01

jdjohn wrote:Yeah, if yours has a cover on the bottom of it, that sounds like one of the staples that would hold the bottom cover onto the plinth around the edge.

Is the control lever properly seated into its support, and the peg into the main cam track? If not, and the lever is pressing onto the pimpel, it would restrict movement, and if the peg is not in the cam track, proper movement of the arm as the peg traces through the track would not occur.

It looks to be correct from what I can see.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby dualcan » 07 Dec 2016 01:17

Hi,
A picture is worth a thousand words....just sayin!
k
Klaus Adlhoch, fmr. Assistant Service Manager,
Noresco -N.Q.I.-Dual of Canada,
Area of expertise: Tech Training and Consumer Service P.R.
Associated with Dual till Thompson era.
Favorite Duals: TG 12a, 1009, 721.
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby Tinkaroo » 07 Dec 2016 01:49

Thanks for replying Klaus.

Unfortunately I can't get back to it till tomorrow. What would you like to see, the underside?

Frankly I'm a bit discouraged at the moment.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby vinyl master » 07 Dec 2016 02:50

You're not the only one who has gotten discouraged lately, Tink! But we must remain hopeful that our babies will live to see another day...And, at least, you didn't let this one get away...

Make sure you read the manual, and study up online on the quirks of this one, as I have heard that the 1249 has some unique quirks...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby dualcan » 07 Dec 2016 04:25

Hi Tink,

..... I did just now find a small metal part that looks like an elongated letter J about 1" long on the longest end and 1/2" on the other side and about 1/8" at the 180 degree bend.

...and a few angles of the underbelly of the beast would be helpful as well.
Regards,
k
Klaus Adlhoch, fmr. Assistant Service Manager,
Noresco -N.Q.I.-Dual of Canada,
Area of expertise: Tech Training and Consumer Service P.R.
Associated with Dual till Thompson era.
Favorite Duals: TG 12a, 1009, 721.
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby mrow2 » 07 Dec 2016 05:15

If nothing is broken, then with plenty of patience it will function again. My experience with 1249 (have not seen one for awhile) has been that it is one of the fussiest Duals there is, and it takes lots of studying to see how it ticks. It is a rather neat machine once everything is working the way it should.
Steuerpimpel, Control nipple stud, Guide (and sometimes it's not even listed or numbered) -- Whatever name for them is found in the factory Service Manual; old worn and cracked ones can rub tonearms just half-way. Or, not at all. Keep 'em guiding and gliding.
mrow2
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 07 Dec 2016 05:19

How many chances will you have to restore and enjoy Dual's TOTL belt-drive turntable? Not many. Time to put your words into action, Tink! You purport to love vintage equipment, so time to put your moxie to the test! You can do this!!!
jdjohn
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Dual