Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

twice the fun
Post Reply
Guest

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by Guest » 13 Dec 2016 01:11

dualcan wrote:Hi Tink,
You guys who bought them new many years ago were smart investors. How many things can stand up so well over decades of use and still perform so well?
....only our old Maytag washer and dryer.
Just as old and still going strong- Samsung anyone :mrgreen: ???...
Regards,
k
Indeed, Klaus, if my 1219/M91ED & 1229/V15/2i weren't stolen from my apartment back in 1982, I'd still be using them.
Since then I've been through several, just to play records - a BSR610, BIC960, etc.

But given to me last year was that pristine 1215 w/Stanton 500 on it, complete with factory duct cover.
It brought back memories of my younger years, and the quality I insisted on.
For now, the 1215's tucked into a closet, fully serviced of course, and I use a Kenwood linear-tracker/AT95 on my main system.

But you can't beat the beautiful craftsmanship of those Duals.

And yeah, I have a 1984 Maytag W/D that keeps on running flawlessly on washday.
You can SHOVE anything Samsung!
Bleh! :shock:

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales
Posts: 2799
Joined: 01 Feb 2009 21:29
Location: Suffolk

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by DSJR » 13 Dec 2016 10:33

The only Maytag's in the UK tend to be coin operated machines in 'launderettes.' I have to admit they take one hell of a pounding day in day out in this role. Twelve years ago, I went snooty and bought a Bosch washer on the promise of better build. Bloody thing didn't spin dry the clothes well (I don't think modern machines do) so everything had to be spun twice. This knackered the main drum bearing and 'rumble' wasn't a tiny fraction of the terrible racket the machine developed when spinning the clothes to dampness.

Pimpels apart - and possible certain plating situations in the motor thrust bearings, Duals seem to go on for ever. I wonder if the designers of decks like this realised 'we' would still be using most of them fifty years down the line?

Guest

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by Guest » 13 Dec 2016 17:48

DSJR wrote:The only Maytag's in the UK tend to be coin operated machines in 'launderettes.' I have to admit they take one hell of a pounding day in day out in this role. Twelve years ago, I went snooty and bought a Bosch washer on the promise of better build. Bloody thing didn't spin dry the clothes well (I don't think modern machines do) so everything had to be spun twice. This knackered the main drum bearing and 'rumble' wasn't a tiny fraction of the terrible racket the machine developed when spinning the clothes to dampness.

Pimpels apart - and possible certain plating situations in the motor thrust bearings, Duals seem to go on for ever. I wonder if the designers of decks like this realised 'we' would still be using most of them fifty years down the line?
My neighbor has Bosch washer/dryer.
They suck, and already have issues - for such an expensive machine.
Leaks, electronic issues, bleh.
Had to come over my house and use my Maytag a while back!
About the only machine these days worth the money is the Speed Queen, still made with METAL gearbox transmission.
All the others are using PLASTIC gearing. crap.

As for Duals, I believe they were designed in the era when HiFi was in its peak, and manufacturers were passionate about quality and detail, not greed.

PaulKehayas
member
member
Posts: 210
Joined: 08 Aug 2011 13:07
Location: Toronto

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by PaulKehayas » 13 Dec 2016 19:27

Japi Roelofs wrote:How do you guys align your cartridge?

I don't have the plastic overhang gauge, so I made a protractor using Conrad Hoffmans program. I ended up using Lofgren B alignment, effective length 222 mm, spindle to pivot 202 mm, overhang 20 mm, offset angle 25.3°.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive pivot to spindle distance, I have searched online and found conflicting numbers. I settled for the 202 mm, does anyone use a different method?
I also am curious about this. I use the alignment tool but there HAS to be better numbers for the calculation of a more accurate alignment. Oh and I don't believe the one from Accutrak is correct at all!!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7274
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 21:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by Tinkaroo » 14 Dec 2016 11:59

PaulKehayas wrote:
Japi Roelofs wrote:How do you guys align your cartridge?

I don't have the plastic overhang gauge, so I made a protractor using Conrad Hoffmans program. I ended up using Lofgren B alignment, effective length 222 mm, spindle to pivot 202 mm, overhang 20 mm, offset angle 25.3°.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive pivot to spindle distance, I have searched online and found conflicting numbers. I settled for the 202 mm, does anyone use a different method?
I also am curious about this. I use the alignment tool but there HAS to be better numbers for the calculation of a more accurate alignment. Oh and I don't believe the one from Accutrak is correct at all!!
I also use the alignment jig. That makes it easy as do the prealigned Shure V15 Type III or whatever cartridge.

I don't believe in obsessing over the perfect alignment if it works and sounds good to my ears. I just want to be able to put on a record and enjoy it, and the 1219/1229 are perfect for that.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales
Posts: 2799
Joined: 01 Feb 2009 21:29
Location: Suffolk

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by DSJR » 14 Dec 2016 14:16

The Dual tonearms aren't usually 'quite' the full nine inches (oo-er missus) from pivot to stylus tip, but it's the inner null point you should idealy be looking at, as vinyl 'speed' and longer groove excursion for high frequencies makes it all but unnecessary at the beginning of side, despite higher errors here. I set mine using the Dual gauge and checking with an accurate external gauge gives me a nominal 60mm inner point and the outer is then roughly 120mm (quickly checked with my 1214 length tonearm - the longer tonearm 12" platter models will possibly have a different outer point although the inner is the same as checked with my 701 which I have readily to hand.

PaulKehayas
member
member
Posts: 210
Joined: 08 Aug 2011 13:07
Location: Toronto

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by PaulKehayas » 16 Dec 2016 15:13

What exactly are you using?

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales
Posts: 2799
Joined: 01 Feb 2009 21:29
Location: Suffolk

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by DSJR » 17 Dec 2016 00:16

A generic manual alignment gauge I've had for years and the proper Dual plastic one for comparison. I use the Dual one as main reference with these decks and it's never let me down In over forty years.

Here's a graph showing how tracking error varies over a record surface. The tonearm is a Technics one, but you can see how the inner point varies markedly (don't worry about the edge of a record as it is nowhere near as important for reasons above).

https://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/ ... de1123.gif

4Play
member
member
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Aug 2013 23:22
Location: The Only State Created From The Civil War

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by 4Play » 19 Dec 2016 20:45

Kyluckyman wrote:4Play,hat looks simply awesome! That looks so modern! What cart have you got on it?
Sorry I'm one week late on responding. I use a Shure M97xe with original stylus. I'm planning on upgrading the stylus to the Vivid from LP Gear.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands
Posts: 4418
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 16:53
Location: Netherlands

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by Japi Roelofs » 30 Dec 2016 14:36

Just thought I'd share a pic of my 1219, so here it is:

https://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq1 ... sxnm2v.jpg

BTW did anyone notice Photobucket really started to suck big time lately? It's extremely slow, I need to refresh or log in multiple times before I can see my pictures, and then I can hardly see them because of the insane amount of ads. I guess they really, really want me to upgrade [-o<

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7274
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 21:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by Tinkaroo » 30 Dec 2016 14:47

Japi Roelofs wrote:Just thought I'd share a pic of my 1219, so here it is:

https://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq1 ... sxnm2v.jpg

BTW did anyone notice Photobucket really started to suck big time lately? It's extremely slow, I need to refresh or log in multiple times before I can see my pictures, and then I can hardly see them because of the insane amount of ads. I guess they really, really want me to upgrade [-o<
It looks beautiful! 8)

I really love the strobe markings on this model. I see you have the flip down front storage drawer on it too!

Kyluckyman
senior member
senior member
Posts: 676
Joined: 30 Apr 2016 04:12
Location: Hopkinsville Kentucky, an hour from Nashville TN

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by Kyluckyman » 30 Dec 2016 20:02

I am infatuated with the flip down storage drawer. I think getting one of these bases will be my goal for 2017.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 3564
Joined: 15 Nov 2013 23:53
Location: Sorel-Tracy Quebec
Contact:

Post by dualcan » 05 Jan 2017 03:41

Hi,
These Dual bases were made primarily in Germany by Dual, but Noresco also built some.
You will notice the difference in the screws that are used to secure the front flap. The Dual manufactured type used Philips and Slot screws, whereas Noresco used Robertson screws. This "dual" manufacturing status will enhance your chance to find one on our side of the pond!
Regards,
k

jimericson
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Nov 2013 19:14

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by jimericson » 05 Jan 2017 04:06

Just got my 1229 back from Bob Neumann at FixmyDual and it's just great, dead quiet and steady as a rock. I also beefed up the legs and dust cover hinge with some small screws.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B44ZI ... WdBRjNjWU0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B44ZI ... WdBRjNjWU0
Plus I just ordered a new Jico Shibata for my 681EEE which Bob recommended as a standout replacement for the original. Also trying out a Shure M97xE to hear the difference. Years ago I had a Grado F3+ in a 1229.Curious to hear what others think is the best cart for the 1229.
I have had three of these tables over the years, lost one to a flood, the second stolen so I'm keeping this one on high ground behind locked doors. (I also had a 1218, a great TT with a smaller platter that never got the respect it deserved)

Kyluckyman
senior member
senior member
Posts: 676
Joined: 30 Apr 2016 04:12
Location: Hopkinsville Kentucky, an hour from Nashville TN

Re: Dual 1219/ 1229/ 1229Q Appreciation Thread

Post by Kyluckyman » 05 Jan 2017 06:15

I run a Shure V15 Type 2 in my 1229 and a Shure M97xe in the Klaus restored 1219. I have a few other carts but these are in the tables most of the time.

I have a ATVS210E I run from time to time. That cart rivals the other two.

Post Reply