the home of the turntable

A bit of Nostalgia

twice the fun

Re: A bit of Nostalgia

Postby dualcan » 01 Mar 2016 03:16

Hi,
We continue our journey with some interesting stuff.
Here we have a bunch of stuff with an Empire cart- starting at $19.95!
set 2-4.jpg

The Big Guys are starting to bring new technology such as FET transistors to enhance the receivers. Early IC's are on the drawing boards and we will have a closer look at manufacturing these soon. The humble beginnings of Onkyo- who'da thunk!

Sony is climbing into the big league ever so slowly:
set 3-09.jpg

and the BSR will soon be history. I wonder what will replace it??

Next a fine set of speakers from Merry Auld:
set 3-11.jpg

A class act!

And now for something completely different-again!:
set 3-13.jpg

set 3-14.jpg

This ad shows the best of record cutting lathes; the Neumann disc cutting lathe.
The articles gives another angle to our Hi Fi aspirations!
Regards,
k
Klaus Adlhoch, fmr. Assistant Service Manager,
Noresco -N.Q.I.-Dual of Canada,
Area of expertise: Tech Training and Consumer Service P.R.
Associated with Dual till Thompson era.
Favorite Duals: TG 12a, 1009, 721.
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby dualcan » 01 Mar 2016 22:17

It's time to see the turntable contestants of 1968/9 in a pictorial run-off;
To the right, weighing at xx kilos, its the inimitable-table:
set 3-10.jpg

Fighting for the crown, we have on either side, more contenders:
set 3-15.jpg

...followed by six more:
set 3-17.jpg

and in centre court we have:
set 3-16.jpg

The Russians unfortunately didn't make it...

And now, for the 36-dollar question, who'se the imposter? (OEM)

After all the hard work, it's time to relax and enjoy a Big Mac:
set 3-19.jpg

..and there you have it! Another fab, quintuplet..
Reagards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 02 Mar 2016 04:31

Wow, Klaus! :shock: It's amazing how many different models and makers came out with new offerings within a short time frame! Looks like Dual and Garrard started a battle, and every other contender joined in the fray and wanted to win the war!

It's interesting that you see so many different models at differing price points...There was something for everybody in those years, unlike today's limited options...

I'm just curious, though...Regarding the pictured turntables, do you think any were overrated or underrated compared to their price points? :-k

It's interesting to see a Marantz SLT-12U going for $456.00, but you rarely hear mention of that model today...Maybe a 6100 or a 6300, perhaps, but not that one so much...Rare? And then, you look at a model like the 1019 going for $129.50 brand new, and I've seen exemplar models selling for $200.00 or more...It's also interesting to see the BSR selling for more than the Philips...Makes you wonder who came up with the pricing structure... :-k
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 02 Mar 2016 12:32

I will say the imposter is the Grundig.

I still see a few of those models for resale, but some of them are not seen too often.Some are also very expensive for the era which could account for low sales and not too many available.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby dualcan » 02 Mar 2016 20:18

It is hard to say if units were over or underrated today. The old rule of business as always, was to charge as much as you can get away with!
The imposter was indeed the Grundig which in this case is a Philips unit. The add also wrongly states it had a ceramic cart; Philips used a piezo cart.
Grundig never produced a turntable but used many brands, all re-badged, with the exception being Dual. It was never re-badged but did sport the Dual name in addition to Grundig's name on the platter, on latter units like the 1239a, a specialty for Grundig. Why Grundig, the world's larger taperecorder manufacturer did not make TT's is mystery. There certainly was no technical reason why not. I guess he just "squeezed" prices with the sheer volume of stuff he bought. Dual supplied about half of its production to him, as did PE at one time or another.
To get an idea how big Grundig was, in 1954 when the firm was just 9 years old, the daily (8Hr) radio production (not including TV or any other Grundig product), if stacked like a tower would reach a height of 1000 meters. The daily tube requirement was 25,000, and if all types of wire where joined end to end, would equal 20,000 kilometres -daily! Loudspeaker production daily was 10,000 units. He had, at this time 9000 workers in Fuerth. That is a mere pittance as to how large he would become at his zenith. Sadly, that company is also history, as it fizzled out in 2003.
BTW, for the Euro buffs, wegavision has many manufactures technical, owners and sales brochures to download:
http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/
The specific article I was looking at about Grundig is found here:
http://grundig.pytalhost.com/1955/
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 02 Mar 2016 20:47

You would have thought Grundig would have done more...They certainly made some very nice radios...My man, Chris, has quite a few of them...

I even bought a nice Majestic Model 97 table radio off of him!

Even saw this nice Wega console online...A beauty!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-CLEAN-Wega ... 1641793245

Such a classy looking thing, don't you think? 8)

Also saw these locally...

They did make some nice units, in any case! =D> And they came in lots of different "cases", too! :lol:
Last edited by vinyl master on 03 Mar 2016 03:11, edited 2 times in total.
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby Straker62 » 02 Mar 2016 21:43

Many people can't imagine the stunning quality of Grundig boxes loudspeakers built from 1973 to 1980.....for instance Grundig Audioprisma 703 (from 1974-75) or Grundig Box 1500a Professional (from 1978-79). They are unbreakable, they work flawlessly after 40 years, and they are the joy of many vintage hi-fi lovers. By the way during the seventies Grundig became the second european bigger factory in electronics, second only to Philips. At the end of the seventies there were over 36.000 workers in Grundig.
It was the absolute best-seller in Europe of TV-color and portable radio. The series Concert Boy and Satellit are legends even at present time in Europe. Just another example: in 1978 the 35% of tv color sold in Italy were Grundig.
Grundig PS 70 - Dual 1219, Marantz CD17 mkII, Grundig V20 amplifier, Grundig 650B loudspeakers.
Straker62

Italy

Postby dualcan » 03 Mar 2016 02:55

We sold the Grundig Satellit 4000 at the time in Montreal and it was a short wave in a class (almost) by itself!
The only unit that outperformed the Satellit and cost quite a bit more was the Braun T1000CD. I just saw one sold on evilbay for 675 euro- It still commands plenty respect.
I first got the radio-bug from my parents' Grundig 9080 which was the top of the line in 1955/6. We had it made for export with the TM 819 tape deck incorporated. This deck is actually called Majestic because it was a 60 Hertz version for North America- hence the Majestic brand name. I still have this tape deck and one of these days....
grundig.jpg

These are taken about 1964 when I seriously started to threaten the life of this unit:
grundig 3-1.jpg

and that of the tape unit :mrgreen: :
grundig 3-2.jpg

BTW the radiogram console was sold for 1495.- DM in 1955/6 and the TM 819 was an extra 785.-DM, which brings this beauty to more than half the price of a new VW of the time.

For $3.42 Can (!) who knows which turntable is in that unit and which new taperecorder I have sitting on the Tv? (which is a Marconi btw...)
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby Hugues TR4 » 03 Mar 2016 10:01

Hi Klaus,

I can see that the turntable included in the unit was a PE Rex A.
So you were already walking through the Black Forest in those days. I gather this all was before your professional Dual times.
Dad's unit (SABA, rebadged DRIVA by the Belgian importer) also included a Rex A in the mid-fifties.
Unfortunately it has disappeared a few years ago, before I realized it still had some historical value if any...
Nostalgia!!!
Cheers,

Hugh.
Dual 1019/Shure M97xE/Jico SAS stylus + 1219/Shure V15 III + 1225
Thorens TD 146 & TD 166/Ortofon OMB5 and OM40 carts.
Marantz Mod 6170/Marantz E 5000 cart.
RCA 45 J-2 RP 190 record changer (1952)
Hugues TR4
contributor

Belgium

Postby vinyl master » 03 Mar 2016 10:04

dualcan wrote:For $3.42 Can (!) who knows which turntable is in that unit and which new taperecorder I have sitting on the Tv? (which is a Marconi btw...)
Regards,
k

Like Hugues, I was also going to venture a guess that the turntable was a Perpetuum Ebner Rex A and that the taperecorder is...a Grundig TK 46, but I could be wrong, so don't quote me on it... :-k

Am I at least in the ballpark on both counts?
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby dualcan » 03 Mar 2016 15:13

...And Hughes gets the big price or 1219 lever which ever comes first....
I would love to see a picture of the DRIVA if you have one. I found only a very few DRIVA units on Radio Museum and a jukebox, but they are not SABA products.

VM is right on both counts! The PE Rex AA which I had already changed against the original Rex A, would, from the time the pic was taken, soon be changed again for a 1007a, which was a stupid downgrade (in hindsight), if ever there was one! The TK 46 would not last for more than three month before it got thrown out against the TG 12a. The Grundig constantly chewed up tape because of the complicated tape travel / pinch roller to capstan mechanics. The TG 12 was around $50- more expensive if memory recalls, than the TK46 but from then on and until this very day, apart from several tune ups, works like a charm.

Some of the reasons for this, is the solid mechanical set-up and the huge Dual manufactured motor (and equally large flywheel) which puts the TT motor to shame:
TG12 Motor vergleich1.JPG

Last year I saw a sad looking TG28 (which is an improved abysmal TG 27 btw), so I decided to see if I could get this tin crate to function. After a complete restoration it looks al-right and function as it should:
TG 28 007.JPG

The motor in this unit is a slightly differently arranged 2 pole motor from a 1010 or so which hardly has enough power to rewind or fast forward:
100_6821.JPG

The only real highlight in it is the Dual manufactured record/play head.
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby kenny123 » 03 Mar 2016 23:54

That huge Dual motor looks like it could be used on a bench grinder!
kenny123

United States of America

Postby dualcan » 04 Mar 2016 02:10

..and then some!
Moving along with the end of the sixties we have some new stuff... KLH tape unit -who knew:
set 3-18.jpg

And a Garrard in a nice environment:
set 5-2.JPG

imported to Canada by the Garrard importer, fittingly.
And now for some rather sad news of the times. The big splashy name of Clairtone, a classy Canadian sound system manufacturer that had made a big entry Stateside with some iconic design ideas with the project G:
http://www.clairtone.ca/projectg/
fizzles out in Pixie Hollow county with the mini HiFi thingy:
set 4-2.jpg

That's what happens when governments try to run business. Remember the DeLorean....
To replace this iconic loss, we have now the Canadian produced:
set 4-3.jpg

and the people within the manufacturing firm:
set 5-3.JPG

and that's another five'r wrap,
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby Tinkaroo » 04 Mar 2016 12:32

Stellarton eh! Who-da thunk.

I'll have to see if Buddy down the road gots one. I'll bet they were some good too!

It is sad to see that we no longer produce anything like that in North America. It seems that those H.H. Scott receivers were made in an area you were quite familiar with.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby dualcan » 05 Mar 2016 03:40

Moving right along, we get into more taperecorders after the KLH.
Sharp's RD 711 was quite a nice and reasonably priced performer of which I sold quite a few. I never did sell the first A series of Revox but did the B version:
set 5-5.JPG

The Blue Stuff cleaning spray was a disaster Nothing beat Wish cleaner; CFC all the way!!!

Who remembers the OEM behind this brand?:
set 5-1.JPG

Here we see the new importer for B&O after Noresco lost the agency:
set 5-7.JPG

The Beogram TT's are not quite ready from Denmark because of the North American requirements, but will be very soon. Besides having the pleasure of selling a few units from Musimart who btw changed names from BSR Canada because of this new additional brand, I would be reunited with B&O in late seventies/early eighties. My partner and I, now independent Dual service agents after the Noresco bankruptcy, took on B&O as well as their Teac/Tascam and B&K test equipment.

This next article brought a chuckle when I read it. It seems the more things change the more they stay the same:
set 5-8.JPG

It seems bureaucracy never changes!

And the last ad is one of my favs:
set 5-9.JPG

Who knows the scale of the locomotive; the manufacturer?
Aw, come on now, you didn't think I was going to ask about the Shure carts didya???
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Dual