A bit of Nostalgia

twice the fun
Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: A bit of Nostalgia

Post by Legrace » 26 Oct 2018 13:13

In Japan they have a term of respect for skilled individuals whom preserve cultural knowledge. They are known as a Living National Treasure. When it comes to preservation of knowledge within this particular field, I think we can all accept to bestow this title onto Klaus!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Oct 2018 03:13

Here, here! =D>

And although it's not actually your birthday, this is still pretty apropos...From a Dutchman to a German...

By the way, although you ended this last installment in 1974, some of the greatest pieces of hi-fi equipment were made in the next few years to come and we want you to be here to tell us all about them! :)

reynolds753

Post by reynolds753 » 28 Oct 2018 18:03

Those scans brought me back to nostalgia land. I was a poor university student living in Toronto in 1973 and 1974. I remember working as a pulp logger in Northern Ontario during the summers to make some money. My first "good' system was a Sherwood 7300 receiver, a Dual 1216 table and a pair of BIC Venturi 4 speakers. I also had an Aiwa GX 46 cassette deck. I always lustedafter either a Dual 1229 or a Thorens 160. That was what the really "cool" guys had. Sadly, I left that Dual 1216 in my house in Toronto when I left to find employment the USA in 1989.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 28 Oct 2018 21:58

Hi
Logging near Timmins by any chance???
As for the heavy weight, it was the:
74 1 electron-9.jpg
(801.13 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Here is one of the prime reasons why Noresco failed:
74 1 electron-6.jpg
(743.97 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
The owners had spent too much on these and many other high cost/low volume things, chewing up revenue from the still strong Dual and Rotel sales. These would also tank because of the inroads that CD's made. This crucial change to CD was a step that Noresco under Ahfeldt and Holms never made. That change was also a miscalculation by Dual which did try to make a CD player in partnership with Philips but even there, the battle was lost.

Thanks for the kind words! The meds are being adjusted and hopefully in a few days all should be clear again.
Cheers,
k

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 28 Oct 2018 22:15

dualcan wrote:
28 Oct 2018 21:58
Hi
As for the heavy weight, it was the:
74 1 electron-9.jpg

Here is one of the prime reasons why Noresco failed:
74 1 electron-6.jpg
The owners had spent too much on these and many other high cost/low volume things, chewing up revenue from the still strong Dual and Rotel sales. These would also tank because of the inroads that CD's made. This crucial change to CD was a step that Noresco under Ahfeldt and Holms never made. That change was also a miscalculation by Dual which did try to make a CD player in partnership with Philips but even there, the battle was lost.

Thanks for the kind words! The meds are being adjusted and hopefully in a few days all should be clear again.
Cheers,
k
I just finished up some service on an Atari MX-5050 reel deck for someone.
Pinch roller solenoid wasn't kicking in on play...
Had a few traces on the control board overheated, a bad cap, and it's back spinning tunes.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 29 Oct 2018 01:46

reynolds753 wrote:
28 Oct 2018 18:03
Those scans brought me back to nostalgia land. I was a poor university student living in Toronto in 1973 and 1974. I remember working as a pulp logger in Northern Ontario during the summers to make some money. My first "good' system was a Sherwood 7300 receiver, a Dual 1216 table and a pair of BIC Venturi 4 speakers. I also had an Aiwa GX 46 cassette deck. I always lustedafter either a Dual 1229 or a Thorens 160. That was what the really "cool" guys had. Sadly, I left that Dual 1216 in my house in Toronto when I left to find employment the USA in 1989.
Even though you still have the Thorens, you might want to find another Dual and make a system like you had in your younger days "just for fun"...Speaking of a great Dual-Sherwood combo, have you seen the gift I'm planning for my "vinyl mentor"? I wrote about it here...

viewtopic.php?t=107326

It's almost similar to yours, except the speakers are Advents this time... :)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 29 Oct 2018 07:36

I'm glad to hear you are on the road to recovery Klaus! =D>

Yes, that series of Sansui amp was definitely a back breaker! It is also quite a collectors item these days too. 8)

It was too bad about Noresco, but it did well in bringing us some great Dual turntables and also the Rotel equipment they helped introduce to the Canadian market. Without them I wouldn't be here as well as some others of you. The market was under a lot of pressure at the time and there were many casualties. Time to cue up a rendition of Taps for Noresco, Electrohome and even Sansui. =D>

reynolds753

Post by reynolds753 » 29 Oct 2018 19:21

dualcan wrote:
28 Oct 2018 21:58
Hi

No: Marathon, Ontario on the sunny (rarely) north shore of Lake Superior. There was a large pulp and paper mill near to the town. I worked on a cat walk that was suspended over the lake. A tug boat would push booms of logs to the cat walk and we would sort them out. There were four people acting as "long polers". Two on the right side two on the left side and we guided the logs under the catwalk. They would then be arranged in straight pattern by the "short polers" to go up a conveyor belt to the sawyers. The cut wood was then sorted out as hard wood or soft wood. It was tough, physical, outdoor labour that entailed three shifts. The money was good and it gave me a rare appreciation of truly hard work. I believe that I still have my union card somewhere. I still own and wear my steel toed safety boots when I am doing yard work.
Last edited by reynolds753 on 29 Oct 2018 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

reynolds753

Post by reynolds753 » 29 Oct 2018 19:48

Even though you still have the Thorens, you might want to find another Dual and make a system like you had in your younger days "just for fun"...Speaking of a great Dual-Sherwood combo, have you seen the gift I'm planning for my "vinyl mentor"? I wrote about it here...

viewtopic.php?t=107326

It's almost similar to yours, except the speakers are Advents this time... :)

When I finished school in 1979 and was making an income I bought a Dual 606 which I still have. Unfortunately, last year I wanted to replace the ULM head with a standard 1/2" so that I had a greater choice of cartridges. Big mistake. To make a long story short, I ended up having to take the tonearm apart and messed up the cueing device. Not quite like working on a Thorens 160 I discovered. I have sent it off to "Fix My Dual" and it is in the process of repair.

I loved the Sherwood 7300. It had this wonderful sound and a great tuner. I left it off at a repair place in town a few years back as one channel would not work in stereo and was told that the part to repair it was not available. Stupidly, I left it there. Of course, they are not in business anymore. I did pick up a Sherwood S110 CP receiver (similar to the S-9910 with a few more watts) that has taken its place. I will be back to normal when the Dual 606 comes home.