the home of the turntable

A bit of Nostalgia

twice the fun

Re: A bit of Nostalgia

Postby Dual_Jean » 30 Mar 2018 14:46

Good to see you again Klaus resurrecting your chef d'oeuvre!

I currently own 3 pieces of the Dual family portrait. I'm still impressed by the little CV40 integrated amp; lots of guts for an advertised 20 watts RMS per channel. I friend of mine bought one of them and driving 12 inchers without a sweat. These were made to last and built like tanks following pretty much the rest of the product line-up. Keep the good work!
Dual_Jean

Canada

Postby dualcan » 02 Apr 2018 01:43

We are getting to the end of Electron magazine. The January 1974 issue, will be the last one. The new mag, Audio Scene Canada, sees the focus of the mag away from general electronics and focus strictly on Audio gear.
From the November and December 73 issue we have some ads, such as the Fisher receiver:
Scanned Document-7.jpg
Fisher 504

and KEF cadenza speakers:
Scanned Document-3.jpg
KEF Cadenza speaker

One of the reason I enjoyed Electron mag then, was for the offbeat items which spiced things up.
Here is an example:
Scanned Document-4.jpg

Anyone familiar with this product line?

We need to get a Turntable into here so here's an ad featuring a (totally unbiased...) great unit:
Scanned Document-1.jpg

We all know of course that all counterweighted Dual units from this era can play upside down - right?

The December issue contains the yearly Canadian HI FI buyers guide giving specs and price of the various pieces of equipment.
In my unbiased fashion I chose this page which just happens to have our Noresco receivers listed amongst others- pure coincidence..
Scanned Document-2.jpg

Since this is the last product "round-up" and the full list being over fifty pages (over 1,000 entries/items) similar to the entries on this page, I want to put it out here for you to choose a category. Listed categories are:
Cartridges (3 pages), Tonearms (1), Turntables (4), Tuners (3), Receivers (6),
Pre-amps-(not phono..)(1), Amps (both power and integrated) (4),
Compacts (receiver/phono combos) (2), Speakers (11), Headphones (4)
Open Reel tape recorders (2) Cassette decks (2) 8tracks (remember the Lear??) (2), and Microphones (2). If any category on that list tickles your fancy let me know.

Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby Tinkaroo » 02 Apr 2018 10:05

You would need strong arms to play a 1229 upside down for very long! :wink:

I will vote for the receivers list Klaus, or at least the ones with Pioneer, Sansui and Yamaha.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby dualcan » 05 Apr 2018 23:59

...and here you go Tink:
73 12-1.jpg

73 12-2.jpg

73 12-3.jpg

73 12-4.jpg

The previous post contains page 3 of the receiver listing,
Enjoy,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby Tinkaroo » 06 Apr 2018 09:45

Thanks for the detailed stats on receivers from 1973 Klaus! 8)

I can see some real stars among the listings and this info will be helpful to compare different makes and models.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby dualcan » 11 Apr 2018 00:05

...and since this is the last issue with pricing plus the fact that the site is dedicated to vinyl, I thought we'd stroll down memory lane one last time, with a few more pages on carts, tone arms and turntables.
So here we go with carts:
vinyl 73 12-01.jpg

vinyl 73 12-02.jpg

vinyl 73 12-03.jpg

and tone arms:
vinyl 73 12-04.jpg

Before we get to the turntables, This is the one of the main reasons why Noresco / Dual of Canada went belly-up:
NMC Pro.jpg

In '73 the Dual brand was just making money like hay. We would be moving to our own building in Montreal. The Pro equipment division of NMC (Noresco Manufcaturing Co.) would start with these two but soon take over many products such as Neumann mikes and Telefunken pro equipment. These products never made it to NQI / Montreal or our departments since NMC would sell and install directly from Toronto. That whole section was an enormous drain of capital!
Next, and finally, we'll look at the turntables.
Stay tuned,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby dualcan » 13 Apr 2018 22:00

Here is the pricing structure and some tech features for turntables, offered in 1973/4:
vinyl 73 12-05.jpg

vinyl 73 12-06.jpg

vinyl 73 12-07.jpg

vinyl 73 12-08.jpg

To describe a Thorens with the word "Economy" just seems plain wrong- exceptional value perhaps??

For a final look at PE adds from Noresco, we see the 3060:
73 12_3060pdf.jpg

As opposed to the other PE's found in the third list above which were almost complete PE designs with a very small contingent of Dual parts, the 3060 has a large Dual part list, starting with the 1218 motor, (a downgrade from the original PE..) and the only PE changer with a complete gimbal suspension, based on the 1218 with only the ring shape differing. This arm is an improvement over the other more complicated PE's.
I was of two minds when servicing this unit under and post warranty. The unit needed perfect mechanical alignment for its auto sizing system, otherwise the cam and a few levers would be destroyed. For appearance and performance, when all was set proper, it was a really nice unit. It would have been interesting to have seen this unit with the original PE motor and compare the wow and flutter figures. The PE motors were definitely quieter than the 1218's.
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby Tinkaroo » 14 Apr 2018 09:50

Thanks for sharing those latest pages Klaus!

My first personal turntable besides family owned ones was a PE form the era when they were owned by Dual, and from there I went on to own Duals.

It is interesting looking at the offerings from Dual and seeing all idler drives and one direct drive which was a bit of a quantum leap in design. The 701 direct drive was really quite a statement at the time and was quite a high quality turntable.

It is interesting seeing the Thorens such as my uncles TD-160 and how many here like to change the arms on them. I had to set his original arm up for him which is a different process than with Dual turntables which I find to be very easy.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Previous

Return to Dual