A bit of Nostalgia

twice the fun
Dual_Jean

Re: A bit of Nostalgia

Post by Dual_Jean » 30 Mar 2018 14:46

Good to see you again Klaus resurrecting your chef d'oeuvre!

I currently own 3 pieces of the Dual family portrait. I'm still impressed by the little CV40 integrated amp; lots of guts for an advertised 20 watts RMS per channel. I friend of mine bought one of them and driving 12 inchers without a sweat. These were made to last and built like tanks following pretty much the rest of the product line-up. Keep the good work!

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 02 Apr 2018 01:43

We are getting to the end of Electron magazine. The January 1974 issue, will be the last one. The new mag, Audio Scene Canada, sees the focus of the mag away from general electronics and focus strictly on Audio gear.
From the November and December 73 issue we have some ads, such as the Fisher receiver:
Scanned Document-7.jpg
Fisher 504
(204.77 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
and KEF cadenza speakers:
Scanned Document-3.jpg
KEF Cadenza speaker
(217.13 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
One of the reason I enjoyed Electron mag then, was for the offbeat items which spiced things up.
Here is an example:
Scanned Document-4.jpg
(148.11 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Anyone familiar with this product line?

We need to get a Turntable into here so here's an ad featuring a (totally unbiased...) great unit:
Scanned Document-1.jpg
(481.1 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
We all know of course that all counterweighted Dual units from this era can play upside down - right?

The December issue contains the yearly Canadian HI FI buyers guide giving specs and price of the various pieces of equipment.
In my unbiased fashion I chose this page which just happens to have our Noresco receivers listed amongst others- pure coincidence..
Scanned Document-2.jpg
(468.26 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Since this is the last product "round-up" and the full list being over fifty pages (over 1,000 entries/items) similar to the entries on this page, I want to put it out here for you to choose a category. Listed categories are:
Cartridges (3 pages), Tonearms (1), Turntables (4), Tuners (3), Receivers (6),
Pre-amps-(not phono..)(1), Amps (both power and integrated) (4),
Compacts (receiver/phono combos) (2), Speakers (11), Headphones (4)
Open Reel tape recorders (2) Cassette decks (2) 8tracks (remember the Lear??) (2), and Microphones (2). If any category on that list tickles your fancy let me know.

Regards,
k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Apr 2018 10:05

You would need strong arms to play a 1229 upside down for very long! :wink:

I will vote for the receivers list Klaus, or at least the ones with Pioneer, Sansui and Yamaha.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 05 Apr 2018 23:59

...and here you go Tink:
73 12-1.jpg
(228.95 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
73 12-2.jpg
(238.45 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
73 12-3.jpg
(217.66 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
73 12-4.jpg
(111.45 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
The previous post contains page 3 of the receiver listing,
Enjoy,
k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 06 Apr 2018 09:45

Thanks for the detailed stats on receivers from 1973 Klaus! 8)

I can see some real stars among the listings and this info will be helpful to compare different makes and models.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 11 Apr 2018 00:05

...and since this is the last issue with pricing plus the fact that the site is dedicated to vinyl, I thought we'd stroll down memory lane one last time, with a few more pages on carts, tone arms and turntables.
So here we go with carts:
vinyl 73 12-01.jpg
(157.29 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
vinyl 73 12-02.jpg
(147 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
vinyl 73 12-03.jpg
(132.99 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
and tone arms:
vinyl 73 12-04.jpg
(123.86 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Before we get to the turntables, This is the one of the main reasons why Noresco / Dual of Canada went belly-up:
NMC Pro.jpg
(352.06 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
In '73 the Dual brand was just making money like hay. We would be moving to our own building in Montreal. The Pro equipment division of NMC (Noresco Manufcaturing Co.) would start with these two but soon take over many products such as Neumann mikes and Telefunken pro equipment. These products never made it to NQI / Montreal or our departments since NMC would sell and install directly from Toronto. That whole section was an enormous drain of capital!
Next, and finally, we'll look at the turntables.
Stay tuned,
k

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 13 Apr 2018 22:00

Here is the pricing structure and some tech features for turntables, offered in 1973/4:
vinyl 73 12-05.jpg
(204.19 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
vinyl 73 12-06.jpg
(181.68 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
vinyl 73 12-07.jpg
(174.04 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
vinyl 73 12-08.jpg
(236.34 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
To describe a Thorens with the word "Economy" just seems plain wrong- exceptional value perhaps??

For a final look at PE adds from Noresco, we see the 3060:
73 12_3060pdf.jpg
(244.45 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
As opposed to the other PE's found in the third list above which were almost complete PE designs with a very small contingent of Dual parts, the 3060 has a large Dual part list, starting with the 1218 motor, (a downgrade from the original PE..) and the only PE changer with a complete gimbal suspension, based on the 1218 with only the ring shape differing. This arm is an improvement over the other more complicated PE's.
I was of two minds when servicing this unit under and post warranty. The unit needed perfect mechanical alignment for its auto sizing system, otherwise the cam and a few levers would be destroyed. For appearance and performance, when all was set proper, it was a really nice unit. It would have been interesting to have seen this unit with the original PE motor and compare the wow and flutter figures. The PE motors were definitely quieter than the 1218's.
Regards,
k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 14 Apr 2018 09:50

Thanks for sharing those latest pages Klaus!

My first personal turntable besides family owned ones was a PE form the era when they were owned by Dual, and from there I went on to own Duals.

It is interesting looking at the offerings from Dual and seeing all idler drives and one direct drive which was a bit of a quantum leap in design. The 701 direct drive was really quite a statement at the time and was quite a high quality turntable.

It is interesting seeing the Thorens such as my uncles TD-160 and how many here like to change the arms on them. I had to set his original arm up for him which is a different process than with Dual turntables which I find to be very easy.

s306cabrio

Post by s306cabrio » 21 Oct 2018 20:04

Great stuff! Thank you for these fantastic brochures!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Oct 2018 03:48

More, Klaus, more!! =D>

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 25 Oct 2018 21:12

Hi,
More it is- but the January 1974 issue is unfortunately the last Electron Magazine made.
Noresco / Dual of Canada was in the money! The Dual products sold like hot cakes, so ads were tailored towards the new PE changers:
74 1 electron-1.jpg
(917.24 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
As the PE changers where somewhat cheaper in price to the Dual equivalents, the arch-old rival, Garrard in Canada decided to follow suite in the price combat. The low end Garrards where packaged into cheap plastic covers and bases and sold as:
74 1 electron-2.jpg
(688.68 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Getting back to better quality stuff, we see one of the first full family pics from B&O for the Canadian market:
74 1 electron-3.jpg
(753.7 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
We also get a test report for a Sony PS 2250 turntable:
74 1 electron-4.jpg
(698.88 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
...and the final pic for now is this cliffhanger- any guesses??
74 1 electron-5.jpg
(658.43 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
On a personal note, I need to say thanks to the many folks that have written to me over the last few months.
Although it is not my habit to talk about personal stuff, I think this once I'll permit myself because it is timely for a lot of us older folks.
Getting back to Vinyl in general and Dual in particular, five or so years ago, was and is a joy for me. This forum is one of my daily bits of fun. The first years I did more bench-work and getting my dungeon back into shape, which got me moving.
Slowly but surely, the moving part was replaced more and more by sitting in front of the 'puter, answering queries or scanning stuff.
As I like to answer with proper info, many times these replies meant sitting lengthy spells, with a coffee or two and why not something to nosh on. It would seem that I spend too many days sitting on the fanny and neglecting the moving part.
A few days ago when the ol' ticker decided to throw me a real warning- numbness on the left side, I thought it might be prudent to get my butt into the ER. Although I insisted I only wanted to have a "talkative" visit, they nonetheless insisted to invite me to a rather more detailed inspection. Before the ink flowed on the admittance form I was connected to their version of a "wow and flutter" instrument.
The "flutter" they found went way over 200 - a real Wow.... Reading the memos around me on that gurney, outlining how resuscitations are to be handled, got my attention - real quick!!
Luckily, only my arm ended up as a "pincushion" this time and am now in the process of drug strength evaluation to get a handle on the high blood pressure.
Thanks to the wonderful folks at the local 'merge, all was brought under control to a respectable level in a real hurry!

I enjoy this forum immensely and want to keep enjoying it, but need to reboot the "Moving " part!
The moral of this story is however not my saga but a warning to all of us. This bloody (pun intended) high blood pressure is nasty. I only felt a bit of numbness while the "meter" shot through the roof... My take-away from this is to step back from the 'puter a bit and get more movement!
With a "reasonable measure" it is my pleasure to continue to learn, Help in this forum, including this thread, because although Electron Magazine ends, its replacement also has a few years of "analogue goldies" in store for us!
The next instalment will show which brand that "heavy weight" above was, as well as an early harbinger for the demise of the original Noresco / Dual of Canada.
Please- take care!
Klaus

crabcakes
United States of America

Post by crabcakes » 25 Oct 2018 22:29

Tinkaroo wrote:
02 Apr 2018 10:05
You would need strong arms to play a 1229 upside down for very long! :wink:

I will vote for the receivers list Klaus, or at least the ones with Pioneer, Sansui and Yamaha.
I wholehearted agree but would also include Marantz. Most of the 22xx series were very good.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 26 Oct 2018 09:10

I'm glad to hear you are OK after that scare and wake up call. =D>

You are absolutely right that we need to take care of ourselves and step away from the computer once in a while especially as we get older. Eating right and keeping active are important.

Thanks for sharing the latest installment of your nostalgia thread. This latest one was around the time I got my first Dual which was under the PE umbrella at the time.

I may have to come back to guess on the amp, but it certainly does look like a heavyweight and reminds me a bit of the one I lugged around yesterday! #-o

ren2112

Post by ren2112 » 26 Oct 2018 10:35

Klaus, I know I speak for all of us on this board. You have given us a wealth of information and more importantly kindness. No question is too trivial. All I can say is thank you and there is a beer here anytime you need one.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Oct 2018 11:03

Thank you, Klaus, for sharing your story...I totally understand the "moving" part! None of us are getting any younger, and if our "spirits" are a fine wine, we must cherish and protect the bottles we came in! I say, sometimes a good walk can even Help you to think through a few questions on this forum...Keep it in mind! :wink:

It doesn't mean stay away from the forum...It just means take care of yourself at the same time! :D

I wouldn't say this, either, if you weren't one of our cherished members here! We need you around for the long haul! =D>