the home of the turntable

A bit of Nostalgia

twice the fun

Re: A bit of Nostalgia

Postby dualcan » 21 Feb 2016 01:52

Right, so the year is still 1966, I'm in Montreal finishing highschool and finally own a 1009 and TG 12a taperecorder. I'm still a part-time gopher on weekends at Montreal's premier Euro radio shop, Radio Lorenz,
The main story in the mags at this time are the advent of colour tv. RCA, Eico and a few others vying for the test equipment market. Quite active is also the CB stuff; remember Hallicrafters?? The Japanese imports are mainly taperecorders (Roberts Sony's etc).
The Garrard range looks like this:
E 6610 g2.jpg

and on the next page naturally the enemy:
E 6610 Da.jpg

For both of these we need something like:
E6610 p.jpg

Or if we had the dough:
E 6610 S2.jpg

And speaking of dough, we need one of these before the Japanese invasion:
E 6610 F.jpg

A BSR McDonald 400 also makes a showing but no Asian turntables-yet.
Life is good!
tbc
k
Klaus Adlhoch, fmr. Assistant Service Manager,
Noresco -N.Q.I.-Dual of Canada,
Area of expertise: Tech Training and Consumer Service P.R.
Associated with Dual till Thompson era.
Favorite Duals: TG 12a, 1009, 721.
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 21 Feb 2016 02:08

Love that Pickering ad...The V-15/3 came on my 1009F...Regarding that "Most Wanted" ad, maybe they should have pinned that one up down at the local post office...Or maybe the local audio "saloon"! :lol:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby kenny123 » 21 Feb 2016 03:28

I say keep them coming too,definatly not boring,I look forward to your posts,its like when I get a new audio magazine,or catalog,read it through and wait for the next.
kenny123

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 21 Feb 2016 15:23

I notice in the last Dual ad that they list the prices without cartridge?

Was it typical to sell them that way, or are those just listed that way to make the prices look more attractive?

I think for the difference in price that the 1019 or 1009SK would be the better options, but it comes in about twice as expensive as the lowest priced one which would be a factor for some since wages were a lot less.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby dualcan » 22 Feb 2016 02:21

Hi,
All the tt manufacturers at this time priced their units without base/cover/cart. Dual units came from the factory chassis only. UA/Dual Canada supplied their own base/cover and dealers usually supplied the cart. The Garrard ads also price the TT only. In one of theirs ads of this time, it specified less base/cove/cart.

Here is another batch of goodies but this time there is a hook!:
E 6608 s.jpg

E 6610B.jpg

E 6610 T11.jpg

Two of these changed names; what are the newer names?
Only one is still in HI FI business; which one?

E 6611 Aiph.jpg

The Noresco add shows the Aiphone brand of intercom. It would become my dossier when I entered the Dual service dept.
At the time of the add, I worked (my first Real job..) for the importer of REMA RFT, a GDR manufacturer and all their tt's where BSR... In our showroom we also sold the Belcor brand as shown above, but it would not be the last time I was involved with this company- (that is a hint..)
Oh and that little transistor radio manufacturer in the last ad, also has aspirations...
E 6611 S1.jpg

In the meantime they are creating quite a buzz with that newfangled cassette!

Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 22 Feb 2016 07:09

dualcan wrote:Two of these changed names; what are the newer names?
Only one is still in HI FI business; which one?

Let's see if I got this right...Weren't the Belcor receivers made by Roland Electronics out of Japan (for Importhouse of Canada), the same company known for their guitar amps, keyboards and synthesizers? And didn't Trio become Kenwood? The one still in the HI-FI business is Kenwood, no? If I'm right, do I win anything? =P~
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 22 Feb 2016 12:03

I will go with a similar answer to V-M and say that Trio became Kenwood and that Belcor was made by Roland which later became Rotel, but that Rotel is the only one still in the Hifi business if we don't count automotive stereos.

In that Sansui ad it shows the 1000a receiver which is the predecessor of V-M's 5000a receiver and my 2000x receiver. 8)

I also have a mint pair of Sansui SS-2 headphones which are almost the same as the SS-1 headphones in the Sansui ad. :lol:
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby dualcan » 22 Feb 2016 21:07

Hi,
Except that Belcor was Rotel and never Roland, you get the big fat cigar!
Roland of course made the later Noresco receivers and at that time we also sold the actual Rotel brand in conjunction with the PE turntables (3040 >3060).
Dual also made use of the Rotel re-badging near the end of the Steidinger production (1980/1 ish)
if we don't count automotive stereos

... and that's why I said HIFI.....
To my knowledge Roland never made HIFI receivers/amps but only pro gear.

If you look at the Noresco consolette on the cover of the mag, you will see the early Noresco logo on the right side, which was based on the Telefunken diamond as seen on the second picture, including the sparks (Funken)! What was an absolute no-no was the inclusion of the Dual logo on the left side of the consolette. This was a fudge for the mag cover and never appeared on the actual Noresco products such bases/plinth, speakers etc. The only product that was allowed to carry the Dual logo officially were the two covers CH5 and CH6 which we had made locally by Scepter Industries in Canada. They were indistinguishable from the original save for the packing.
E 6503 Noresco.jpg

E 6611 T 1019.jpg

Next is another TT make from Germany which was sold in the US as Benjamin Miracord.
The motors where bought from PE or from Papst as the first picture with the hysteresis/synchronous motor shows:
E 6710 Elac.jpg

These where solid rim drive decks as well. Elac was also known for some really good sounding carts, and sold many early ceramic carts to both PE (Rex etc) and Dual (1003/4 ish) - rebadged naturally...
They had a full line as well:
E 6612 E1.jpg

But the receiver was made by Koerting which I sold in my very first workplace with Rema. I thought I'd leave the pricing which I pencilled in at that time. The profit margin seem small today but it was a better point margin than the stuff sold at the big box stores.
E 6612 E2.jpg

Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby dualcan » 23 Feb 2016 20:58

Definitely Not>
E 6703 tg27.jpg

The TG27 was a lemon and could not be given away. Norbert Kotschenreuther or NoKo as he is know on the German Dual board, also states in his excellent book titled Black Forest Precision- World Acclaimed, that the European dealers where "invited" to take at least one of these with an order of turntables - or else...
I had a hell of a time with these under-performing things of which the 2pole motor was barely able to move the tape. Fast(slooow)Forward, was painful to watch...
In this same mag., towards the end, a discounter is offering this "tremendous" Dual taperecorder with immediate delivery with a "fabulous price"!
The Tg28 had a slightly stronger motor was more reliable plus looked better and somewhat more robust. This machine from Schaub Lorenz should have not seen the light of day after the superb Dual designed TG12a deck. The only item brought forward from the old machine was the fantastic Dual made recording/playback head.
This ad also shows the half-hearted attempt of presenting a Dual line-up, similar to the half measure with B&O importing; we'll revisit B&O. If they would at least have brought over the matching tuner (thanks to Dennis Rollinger, dual-board.de- creator):
http://www.dual-plattenspieler.de/galer ... /ct12.html
to the amp and allowed Noresco to replicate the speakers with the Dual logo, it could have made a difference. It is however noteworthy that the Dual amps and the tuner were at best average at this time and also not made by Dual but contracted OEM's. The later Dual amps and tuners, receivers and speakers would be an improvement, but Noresco never imported the complete line. An amp without a matching tuner just does not cut it!

Flipping through the mag there still is no Japanese TT, but we will see one soon!
Here are some other fine competitors:
E 6612 LRT.jpg

and now for a real nice heavy weight:
E 6707 G 401 .jpg

It's too bad there is no pricing on this ad! I would have loved to see a bit more technical info as well on this deck, since a comparison to the Thorens TD124 is just a natural.

And now for something completely different....:
E 6708 bsr.jpg

any similarities to a certain Black Forest product is strictly ... what's the word I'm looking for.....

Lastly we'll let an engineer do some talking:
E 6705 Gsl.jpg

Next time we'll see a new Dual entry and a real humdinger!
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 24 Feb 2016 03:55

To see the BSR in with the Thorens and the Garrard 401...That was quite a surprise! :o
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 24 Feb 2016 12:44

Nice ads Klaus! Thanks for sharing them.

I like the cover of the woman with her stereo! 8) It probably helped to sell the magazine.

I can't recall Electron magazine, but my dad used to get Popular Mechanics which was sometimes fun.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby Hugues TR4 » 24 Feb 2016 13:08

download/file.php?id=22376&mode=view
Bought a Sony cassette player TC100 in South Africa in '68 for SAR 100,00.
Very well built and extremely strong, it has accompanied me in my car across Southern Africa and I used it to record a daily comment during my trip.
You said Nostalgia?
Wow!...
Hugh.
Dual 1019/Shure M97xE/Jico SAS stylus + 1219/Shure V15 III + 1225
Thorens TD 146 & TD 166/Ortofon OMB5 and OM40 carts
Marantz Mod 6170/Marantz E 5000 cart
RCA 45 J-2 RP 190 record changer (1952)
Hugues TR4
contributor

Belgium

Postby dualcan » 24 Feb 2016 22:52

Hi,
I liked the cover of the women too! This nostalgia trip does certainly bring memories to mind for me and I'm glad that it evokes some fond times because certainly is was meant that way!
Now getting back to covers I couldn't resist the next three...
We start with equal opportunity- right 8) ??

E 6810 cover.jpg

Next we go outdoors with a portable hi fi system (on a mile long extension cord...) that is just getting a quick internal check from a lovely lady appropriately dressed
-right :shock: !

E 6811 cover.jpg

For some reason the circulation numbers seem to have drastically improved after this issue. I plead innocence as I already was a subscriber at that time...
The third one explains the sixties pretty well. If you are an old fogey like myself and remember the lava lamps et al, you weren't totally there [-X ..:

E 6812 cover.jpg

No turntable will top these covers - sorry will have to wait for next instalments- I'm still daydreaming of my '61 blue and white split-window VW microbus and all the servicing I did with it...

Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby dualcan » 25 Feb 2016 15:45

All is well in St Georgen and we see a new entry plus a new variant:
E 6710 1015.jpg

The 1010 S now comes in two flavours; two pole motor with ceramic cart, and the new four pole first used on the sk, rather than the continuous pole (can ) motor.

Into this calm, the engineers at Garrard launched a bombshell with:

E 6710 G sl1.jpg

with all the information and Patent:

E 6712 G sl2.jpg

And stuck this marvel in all the units including the new:

E 6711 G sl3.jpg

After certain measures at the Dual laboratories are taken, :shock:
they bring forth their own stats:

E 6712 1019.jpg

It will take a while before St Georgen "bites the bullet" and pays royalties for this laudable achievement and bring out their first turntable utilizing this motor design, which was the ????. Who gets the cigar this time?
Regards,
k
dualcan
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby Tinkaroo » 25 Feb 2016 18:04

I will say the 1219.
Tinkaroo
long player