the home of the turntable

Stop The Insanity

twice the fun

Stop The Insanity

Postby Tinkaroo » 24 Jan 2015 21:24

I sometimes have to shake my head when I see ads like this one for a Dual 1229.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VTG-Dual-1229-tu ... 19facfe220

It hasn't been serviced, needs a new needle and with shipping and global shipping program fees would come to a total of over 800 dollars Canadian!

I recently bought one in good condition with an excellent Shure M97HE EraIV cartridge and like new original stylus for about 150 dollars Canadian, so seeing such greed in ads like this is a bit shocking. :cry:

Here is another one that has a broken lever.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dual-1229Q-Recor ... 4d298f2225
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Re: Stop The Insanity

Postby vinyl master » 25 Jan 2015 05:45

Yep, those ads are total crap...Someone may pay their asking price, or they could end up like this guy's...Still there, and remember I showed this one to you several months back...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/4852209659.html

I feel like calling him, and telling him..."Sorry, Charlie...but you'll never get your asking price..."

I know people love their Duals, but let's be reasonable here...

I think we need someone like this, but for audiophiles...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Minstrel SE » 25 Jan 2015 06:01

I agree that there are too many sellers chancing it in the turntable market. I find it extremely distasteful. Either they are completely ignorant about pricing or trying to rip off buyers. Hopefully reality sets in when they get no offers to buy it.

I also feel like contacting them and saying are you having a laugh!

If you look at their other items, they generally overprice everything. It's often house clearance people and recycling centres who have heard there is a vinyl revival on. I dont like people who wont put a reasonable value on items.

Then again in a free market system, they can price up how they like. Only a fool would pay way over the odds for a turntable in poor condition
Minstrel SE

United Kingdom

Postby vinyl master » 25 Jan 2015 06:28

Which is why I've never spent over $100 on a turntable (I got close with that stupid Crosley and my old Sony, but they don't get played at all anymore, and the Crosley only once, so what does THAT tell you?)...I purposely look for the ones that need Help, but I don't expect to pay a high price for them either...The defects and issues I can use as haggling points...Even a well cared for model in good shape shouldn't cost more than $200...I've routinely seen nice ones for less than that...Of course, they are snapped up pretty quickly... ](*,)
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 25 Jan 2015 11:29

I think we would need to enlist Susan Powter to talk to them in person for better effect. :mrgreen:

That Dual 604 you show listed on craigs list is a good quality reliable semi-auto turntable, which might be worth something close to the asking price if the Ortofon VMS 20 was in good shape. I think that possibly 150-160 dollars might be a bit closer to the mark if it was in top condition. I've owned one for over 35 years and it hasn't missed a beat.

I think there is a tendency to ask top dollar and then some for the top models that people seem to want such as the 1019,1219/1229 and 701. I've actually seen some with a low starting price get bid up to crazy heights. #-o

I think sometimes people look at the completed sales and then decide what they are going to ask, regardless of the poor condition of their item. If the thing hasn't been serviced, may not work and has missing or broken parts then they shouldn't be asking over the top dollar. :roll:
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby ehtoo » 25 Jan 2015 17:31

Patience is everything. I want one too however, I'll only spend $400 max on a fully restored 1229 ie. Vinyl Nirvana or from my local guy "The Dual Doctor". At least you know you're not buying into problems.
ehtoo
long player
long player

Canada

Postby Tinkaroo » 25 Jan 2015 17:44

ehtoo wrote:Patience is everything. I want one too however, I'll only spend $400 max on a fully restored 1229 ie. Vinyl Nirvana or from my local guy "The Dual Doctor". At least you know you're not buying into problems.

I agree about patience being a virtue.

I waited a very long time to find a Dual 701 and was rewarded with a one owner example with two great cartridges for 100 dollars Canadian. But I didn't find it on ebay either which seems to have the most inflated values. 8)

You are very fortunate to have someone who is nearby who can service these turntables, even though I've managed to do some of my own service lately out of necessity. When you live in the boonies you don't have a lot of choice other than to do it yourself.

I think if people are looking for their dream Dual, then they should try sources other than ebay, and as you said be patient.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby musicmn » 25 Jan 2015 18:21

I also agree that a lot of turntables on ebay are way over priced. I just sold a Dual 1229Q for $225 and a 1229 for $195 on craigslist. Both turntables were completely serviced and adjusted. Both had new aftermarket stylus on the carts. The 1229Q had a Shure m95ed cart and the 1229 had a M91ed cart. The bases and dust covers were in nice shape. Both included a stacker and single play spindle. I know in this area that is top dollar for these turntables and i was very happy to get that. But $450 and up on a turntable that needs work is just plain crazy.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby ehtoo » 25 Jan 2015 18:22

Tinkaroo wrote:
ehtoo wrote:Patience is everything. I want one too however, I'll only spend $400 max on a fully restored 1229 ie. Vinyl Nirvana or from my local guy "The Dual Doctor". At least you know you're not buying into problems.

I agree about patience being a virtue.

I waited a very long time to find a Dual 701 and was rewarded with a one owner example with two great cartridges for 100 dollars Canadian. But I didn't find it on ebay either which seems to have the most inflated values. 8)

You are very fortunate to have someone who is nearby who can service these turntables, even though I've managed to do some of my own service lately out of necessity. When you live in the boonies you don't have a lot of choice other than to do it yourself.

I think if people are looking for their dream Dual, then they should try sources other than ebay, and as you said be patient.

Hear, Hear =D> Saw a fellow advertise a Thorens TD160 on E-bay for $11,000. ! Yikes!
ehtoo
long player
long player

Canada

Postby glutenfree » 25 Jan 2015 23:38

People get desperate.Do a search on ebay for sold listings of Duals.My local Craigslist never has anything.Thrift stores around Albuquerque are even worse,because whenever they get anything good,it's always priced according to ebay.
glutenfree

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 26 Jan 2015 02:00

Tinkaroo wrote:I think we would need to enlist Susan Powter to talk to them in person for better effect. :mrgreen:

That Dual 604 you show listed on craigs list is a good quality reliable semi-auto turntable, which might be worth something close to the asking price if the Ortofon VMS 20 was in good shape. I think that possibly 150-160 dollars might be a bit closer to the mark if it was in top condition. I've owned one for over 35 years and it hasn't missed a beat.

I think there is a tendency to ask top dollar and then some for the top models that people seem to want such as the 1019,1219/1229 and 701. I've actually seen some with a low starting price get bid up to crazy heights. #-o

I think sometimes people look at the completed sales and then decide what they are going to ask, regardless of the poor condition of their item. If the thing hasn't been serviced, may not work and has missing or broken parts then they shouldn't be asking over the top dollar. :roll:

But, Tink...I saw two 1019's on CL, and the guy wanted $80.00 each time...Needless to say, I missed the boat on them and they were gone in a flash, but they were beautiful specimens...There's a 1219 up there now for $100, but I don't know if I want to go that route just yet...I think if another one were to come my way, I might consider a Pioneer or Technics next time... Even a Sansui, possibly. Sometimes, a little variety IS a good thing!

Of course, if I find a good model, the price is right and I jump on it soon enough, who knows? Then, all bets are off! [-o<
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby mbarkofske » 26 Jan 2015 04:55

Here's an idea that worked for me. I really wanted to try an AR table. I put a listing on CL as wtb AR turntable. It took a couple of weeks but a guy had 77XB that he never got around to working on. He came over and $30.00 and a Fleetwood Mac album later I owned my AR. Reveneered the plinth and relubed and it is awesome. Listening to Joe Sample with a Shure M55e and it sounds great.
mbarkofske

Postby vinyl master » 26 Jan 2015 05:30

Not a bad idea, mbarkofske...How many of you guys have put a WTB ad on CL and got some good responses, and maybe some good prices? :-k
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 26 Jan 2015 11:51

musicmn wrote:I also agree that a lot of turntables on ebay are way over priced. I just sold a Dual 1229Q for $225 and a 1229 for $195 on craigslist. Both turntables were completely serviced and adjusted. Both had new aftermarket stylus on the carts. The 1229Q had a Shure m95ed cart and the 1229 had a M91ed cart. The bases and dust covers were in nice shape. Both included a stacker and single play spindle. I know in this area that is top dollar for these turntables and i was very happy to get that. But $450 and up on a turntable that needs work is just plain crazy.

Those are very fair prices for top model serviced turntables.

If someone bought one unserviced elsewhere and needed to get it serviced, it would cost them about 150 dollars on top of the purchase price.

The sad part is that many of the flippers on ebay don't have a clue about turntables and don't know how to pack them either.

The silly season continues! They are asking $375 US for this Dual 1215.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dual-1215-Vintag ... 1c4d2ad8ed
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby vinyl master » 27 Jan 2015 07:49

Silly, indeed! I, thankfully, didn't pay near that for my two Duals, and I'm glad...As I've said before, they needed work...I have noticed, though, that even some of the less popular Duals have been inching up a little in price...

So, I have something to say that will hopefully reach a few ears...

Attention, all turntable sellers!! Read me loud and clear! If you are charging more than $300 for a decent Dual, be prepared to wait a very long time to get your asking price! You might as well take the listing down now, and keep the thing for yourself! You will be branded a buffoon by people like me...If you are a buyer and actually pay more than $300 for a Dual, you will ALSO be branded a buffoon by me...Not that you're not smart, mind you, since you ARE buying a Dual, which is a very smart investment, but that you have bad judgment as to what a fair price is...If you pay that much for a really beat-up example, then I guess you really DON'T know much about turntables, and you get what you deserve...Quite sad, actually...Usually my advice is...If you're going to pay top dollar for something, it better be well worth it, and in primo condition...Sellers who overprice their items, just because they can squeeze a little extra out of their buyers, or they read somewhere that selling vintage audio equipment is a goldmine business are doing a disservice to the hobby...We want the newbies to have a fair crack at buying a decent vintage table, too, in order to keep the hobby alive. I'm thinking of the next generation here...Many of these Duals are quite decent, but once you go over $300, you're getting into Thorens/Linn/Rega territory, as far as I'm concerned...

By the way, Tink, that 1215 ad is too laughable... :lol: :lol: :lol:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Dual