Dual 1009

twice the fun
wxm

Dual 1009

Post by wxm » 12 Jan 2015 15:32

I came across a very nice condition Dual 1009 and am soliciting the opinions of forum members about the TT vs 1019 and 1229. I currently have a 1229 and am very happy about it. Shall I even bother with 1009?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Dual 1009

Post by mrow2 » 12 Jan 2015 15:50

It is a very important model and it's my understanding by reading notes in this forum that this was the model which really launched Dual in North America in terms of popularity. It's found in many console units of the era too. Sales skyrocketed with the introduction of this Dual TT, which is very similar to 1019 and benefitted from many design changes over the production period. Servicing for 1009 is much the same as for 1019.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jan 2015 16:19

I have both a 1019 and a 1229. The latter revisions of the 1009 are pretty close to the 1019 in design.

The 1009 and 1019 are very good turntables, but have a couple of disadvantages as compared to the 1229.

The 1229 has a bigger platter and a longer tonearm with a better pivot. The 1009/1019 have the disadvantage in the VTA being a compromise between single and multi play, so that if you want to use it in single play it is necessary to shim the cartridge.

The headshell carrier on the 1009 and 1019 is a different design than the 1229, is more problematic and spares in good shape are difficult to find.

I love my 1019 for what it is with its heavy platter, thick tonearm tube and the fact that it is built like a tank, but it is not as refined as the 1229 as a player. It is a lot of fun however, works great as a changer and is also very cute.

PS- You might want to have a good look at the 701 and 721 if you get a chance since they are excellent turntables too and among the best that Dual ever made.

wxm

Post by wxm » 13 Jan 2015 01:24

So what is the key differences between 1009 and 1019, if any?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Jan 2015 02:23

There was the original 1009 followed by various revisions such as the models F, SK and SK2 as far as I can gather. The original had a 7 lb platter as on the 1019, but some of the others may have had a 4 lb platter.

Basically the 1019 has all the refinements such as a cueing lever,spindle that rotates with the platter and anti skate, but the original 1009 did not. Some of the intermediary 1009's may have had some of those features.

According to Klaus:
dualcan wrote:Hate to spoil your theory but the 1019 is only an improvement over the 1009 which was The milestone.
What the 1019 brought over the 1009 was certainly not the looks but three important improvements
a. A variable and precise Antiskate system (the first for Dual and was used for all subsequent units)
b. a rotating single play spindle
c. A cueing lift system.
All specs are identical for the two units except for the allowance of the antiskate system.
Regards,
k

nel27cain

Post by nel27cain » 13 Jan 2015 02:31

i have the original 1009 on an original plinth and really like it

if i were you i will buy it if the price is right, and you will now have the original 9series and the best of the idler drives in your 1229

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jan 2015 04:40

I have one of these, too, but mine is a 1009SK...I absolutely love it, though, and the 1019 is only a slightly modified version of this, but by no means should you think it an inferior table. I also have a 1226, and I am very fond of both of them. Dual made many a good model back in the day...They are all built like tanks, and most any one of them would be better than say...a Crosley, Ion, and Audio Technica combined! If the price is right, definitely buy it! Dual turntables are like potato chips...You can't have just one! Why would you bother, you say? WHY WOULD YOU NOT?! You only say THAT if you're looking at a Crosley, Ion, or Audio Technica! Then, it would make sense...

I talked to this gentleman a long time ago in one of my favorite record stores, who told me that if I ever saw a good Dual for a cheap price, I should snap it up in a heartbeat...And I took his advice, albeit years later...And now I have two, and still looking...They are definitely desirable tables...

You could also look at it this way...Keep one for your good records, and put a conical stylus on the other for the junk finds...Or alternately play 33's and 45's on one, and save the other for 78's...Absolutely nothing wrong with this approach! I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to own another if the price was right!

The moral of the story: BUY THE DUAL! :mrgreen:

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 13 Jan 2015 06:39

I too have a 1009 as well as a 1218. I prefer the solid feel of the 1009. It is also a 4 speed player, which I need. I lack the antiskating, but use this table mainly for mono records, the purpose for buying the 1009. If a 1019 came up at a price close to what I paid for the 1009, I might consider it. I had a 1009 in my teens and loved it which is why I sought another. If playing difficult 78's and the ability to place the stylus in a particular spot on the disc before starting the motor, like for archival recording of a damaged disc, the 1009 is ideal. I won't be giving up this table easily. Also great for stacking 78's and singles to allow me to sit longer.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 22 Jul 2019 01:36

So, what versions of the Dual table are, and are not changers? Are most all of them changers? Also, I would really only want one that has four speeds; 33, 45, and 78 as I don't have any 16 RPM records.
All of this is reeeally going over my head and is soo overwellming!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Jul 2019 06:28

Mrs Ritchie Valens wrote:
22 Jul 2019 01:36
So, what versions of the Dual table are, and are not changers? Are most all of them changers? Also, I would really only want one that has four speeds; 33, 45, and 78 as I don't have any 16 RPM records.
All of this is reeeally going over my head and is soo overwellming!
Don't be overwhelmed, Mrs Ritchie Valens... :( The 1009's are great changers, as are just about all of the 10XX series of Duals...Any one of them would be fine to own...And WA-A-A-Y better than any cheap suitcase turntable made today! =D> You say you DON'T have any 16-inch transcription discs, but you can never rule out any in the future...It will STILL play those 33's, 45's and 78's just as well...Even if you don't need 16 rpm, it was standard on many turntables back in the day and you never know when you might come across one...Take a look at what Jarrett here thinks of them...

He explains the different types of records here, too...

If you're wanting to learn more about vinyl and the terminology, he has some good videos, but there are many others out there, as well...

It may seem like a lot to learn, but we've all had to learn sometime...Take your time and do some reading on this site...You'll discover that there many more out there like you either just getting into vinyl or have vinyl but want to know more...Feel free to ask any questions you like here on VE...There are more than enough willing Engineers who would be happy to help :D I can tell you that I've learned a lot from reading the threads here on VE and asking questions, so don't be shy! =D>

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 22 Jul 2019 16:50

Vinyl Master,
Thanks.
Do you know of any good sellers on ebay that you've maybe bought from for turntables before? Or, maybe I could find someone on here at some point that would maybe have a Dual to sell/ part with?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Jul 2019 17:23

Well, I've bought two Duals directly from members here on VE! BMRR and ftl-wagen... :) Members andybeau, Japi Roelofs, and kurt45 helped me obtain styli for various cartridges and member eddie edirol helped with my Dual AS-12 spindle! DasherF sent along some extra supplies and various cables...and jameslauffer sent me a great Dual treasure trove of goodies! BMRR, Tinkaroo and Big B5515 have sent me some great records and CD's...I thank them all from the bottom of my heart and please blame my head and not my heart, if I've missed anyone! =D>

The other Duals were Craigslist and antique shop finds that I happened to pounce on when the timing was right! You've got to be very quick when you see one at a good price, as I've missed out on a few, as well... #-o

I know the guys and gals here on VE care about doing the right thing, so I was thinking maybe you could post a "Wanted To Buy" ad in the Classifieds section here and see what comes of it... :-k

Many people have also had success contacting Bill @ fixmydual.com. You could also put feelers out in your own local Craigslist that you're looking to buy one...

If you really want one, I'm sure someone out there has one that is gathering dust somewhere...A home like yours could be a very good place for it with someone like you who appreciates these things! :D

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 23 Jul 2019 08:23

If one is new to vintage vinyl, I'd start very simple and work upwards if the hobby bites into an obsession as it has with a good few of us here.

If 33 and 45 is all you really need, there's NOTHING wrong with say, a 505 era model (assuming these came to the US in quantity as they did the UK). You'll get the Dual 'feel' and basic servicing won't be confusing. The later auto decks are often quite simple and straightforward to work on, as keeping costs down was important by the late 70's and early 80's. Auto-changing by this time had thankfully all but fizzled out and LP's were played singly (whatever the speak about stacking records being safe, dust or grit particles can still get between the LP records in a stack and although I stack 7" singles on my 1214, I'd never do this with albums today).

The earlier ones do seem rather more complex at first but I think at least some of this is to do with the latching of the start-stop controls (later ones just flicked one way or another to start the cycle) and I'd avoid the 1219/1229 completely until you have a backlog of experience - they're too damned precious these days and need careful handling underneath if time-costly damage isn't to ensue.

I have here a 1009SK2 which I still haven't fettled. It's a nice cast platter (lower mass though than the 1019/1009 and they're not directly interchangeable) and no fine speed control is fitted. The arm though is very similar (styling aside) and with a 5mm mat added to the existing one, the arm is level enough playing a single record (vertical tracking angle wasn't an issue fifty years ago on decks like this, but modern elliptical styli do like a nod in getting the arm reasonably level when playing. Lovely machine otherwise as is my beloved 1019, but they ALL need gentle work on them to bring them back to standard by now.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 23 Jul 2019 13:54

Up till not long ago I had what I began to think of as an unhealthy number of turntables. Not a vast number but enough to make me think I was becoming fixated.

I relinquished a number of them including some Dual's. Those I recall were - 701, 1249, 1015's, 1010, 1009F, 1229Q, 1218, 1216, 1214. But I held on to two original 1009's. That was due to their being over 50 years old and in working condition. I listen to them frequently.

That they lack the "refinements" of later models is of no consequence to me. They were a milestone turntable of sorts in the early 1960's and i remember looking at them when they were new. In those days, I considered them the pinnacle and something to aspire to.