How did you end up with a Dual?

twice the fun
aztec
Australia

Re: How did you end up with a Dual?

Post by aztec » 02 Aug 2019 02:18

My first and only ever turntable is a Dual CS 505-3, I grew up in 70s, 80s spending numerous hours listening to records instead of studying for the HSC or Uni. When I finally moved out of home I could no longer use my dad's equipment so I had to buy my own. So I saved up as much money as I could and invested in turntable, amp/receiver and some bookshelf speakers. The amp was in use until about a year ago when it finally died but I still have the turntable and speakers (although I have no use for them and haven't used them for about 20 years). The Dual was in storage for over 20 years and was going to throw it out because it wouldn't power on, I thought, before I throw it out I will give it one last try, I pulled it apart to see if it was a fuse and even pulled apart the power plug. All seemed good, after looking at how the mechanism was working I found the sticky switch (wish I had found this forum earlier), pushed in and out a few times and put a little lubricant on it and it now works. I ordered new drive and pitch belts and have put them in so now have a beautifully working turntable. My kids are most intrigued as they've only ever seen them in the movies.

fricart52

Post by fricart52 » 12 Aug 2019 18:21

I have a 1229 I bought new in 1972 while in college. I have carefully maintained myself over the years and gave it a major overhaul about 20 years ago. It started life with a Stanton 681EE cartridge followed by various ADC XLMs. In the mid 80s it got a Shure V15 VMR which has been there since, now with a Jico Stylus. I also have a 510 and 504 purchased on ebay. The 510 is probably the best performer but the 1229 remains the sentimental favorite. With periodic replacement of the steuerpimpel and the rubber sleeve holding the 2 little ball bearings under the arm, it can run forever. The 510 and 504 with simpler mechanisms only require periodic lubrication. I did replace the SM-840 motor on the 510 with an SM-860 to correct the classic speed problem. To my ears, the 510 is the quietest. The manuals have a better less complicated main bearing since they do not have to accommodate the changing mechanism. The 510 is slightly better than the 504 because the 504 has replaced some of the 510 metal parts with plastic. I think as a long term investment the 510 is the sleeper in the Dual line provided it has a good motor. It has solid metal parts, cast platter and very little maintenance required.

Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro » 20 Aug 2019 12:54

I got my Dual 1219 from my Dad in 2013 (I join here in 2013 and this is my first post). It needed a whole bunch of cleaning and we got it to work ok. At this point, life got in the way and it went back into the closet. Things have settled down since an we just built a new house a few months ago. This house has a 400sf en suite, so what better place to bring back the Dual.

Electrically, it was fine, but the audio side needed much help. I completely replaced everything from the needle to the preamp. Once I got the cartridge aligned, it sounded pretty good. The only problem I'm currently having is some intermittent skipping on the inner track and intermittent left channel distortion on the same. It comes and goes which is odd. Last night it did it again on a new record. I noticed the cantilever was moving side-to-side more than it should be. This leads me to believe my problem is probably being caused by something hanging up the tone arm (suggestions are welcomed and appreciated). I hope to get it all together soon and enjoy some relaxing listening.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 20 Aug 2019 13:24

Bonemaro wrote:
20 Aug 2019 12:54
I got my Dual 1219 from my Dad in 2013 (I join here in 2013 and this is my first post). It needed a whole bunch of cleaning and we got it to work ok. At this point, life got in the way and it went back into the closet. Things have settled down since an we just built a new house a few months ago. This house has a 400sf en suite, so what better place to bring back the Dual.

Electrically, it was fine, but the audio side needed much help. I completely replaced everything from the needle to the preamp. Once I got the cartridge aligned, it sounded pretty good. The only problem I'm currently having is some intermittent skipping on the inner track and intermittent left channel distortion on the same. It comes and goes which is odd. Last night it did it again on a new record. I noticed the cantilever was moving side-to-side more than it should be. This leads me to believe my problem is probably being caused by something hanging up the tone arm (suggestions are welcomed and appreciated). I hope to get it all together soon and enjoy some relaxing listening.
Congratulations on your 1219 which is an excellent model! =D>

Six years is far too long to wait before making your first post. You should join in and be heard. A site is only as good as its participants!

As far as the issue with your 1219 goes I would recommend opening a new thread in the Dual forum to address it. Perhaps you did something wrong with the alignment or whatever? Perhaps it got moved out of position in your move?

Open a new thread! =D>

Mathijs Kok
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by Mathijs Kok » 22 Aug 2019 13:52

I got my Dual 701 when I was bringing some old furniture to the local collection place. Guy walked and wanted to drop a record player in the skip. I said I would take it. Even the perspex cover was intact and just had very minor scratches.

Jrs
United States of America

Post by Jrs » 24 Aug 2019 07:10

I bought my 1249 new in 1977. Used it until 1990. It sat in my parents basement until this year when I got back into vintage 2 channel. Its gummed up at this point, tries to turn but moves real slow. I will restore it once I get some time. It always sounded great. Looking forward to trying it with the "new" '79 khorns.

tubesaurus
Germany

Post by tubesaurus » 04 Sep 2019 09:43

my first turntable was a Dual 1007 which I got from an uncle.
Later I investigated the newer Dual models, and I stayed with the idlers. I do not know why.
Mayebe because this principle is so simple but good and because there are lots of old Duals left here.

andysomnifac

Post by andysomnifac » 13 Sep 2019 14:47

My current project is a Dual 1019 that shows up on the Facebook market locally. I got it for a good price (at least I feel I did) because it has a couple of mechanical issues. I probably paid a little more for it than a typical 1019 in its condition, but I was willing to pay a little more for the cabinet it was housed in, with a nice hinged lid.

This will be replacing the B&O turntable (RX2) I have because it fits the "aesthetic" of the system a little more. The late 80s silver and black look didn't fit with the late 60s Wharfedale speakers and monoblock tube amps that it will be hooked up to.

freakmike3
United States of America

Post by freakmike3 » 11 Oct 2019 15:53

I have a Dual CS 5000 that I happened to find at an estate sale a few weeks back. I was just looking through the record collection when I saw the turntable sitting under some newer equipment, but covered in dust. I need to replace the RCA cables (which I how I came upon this site), but otherwise seems good. Its replacing my Audio Technic AT120... and I can say its quite a difference.

RiderFan

Post by RiderFan » 14 Oct 2019 21:07

Bought my CS 607 brand new in 1970's. The marketing gimmick was to mount the turntable upside-down to prove how well the ULM arm tracked. Sold me on it. Sadly, the TK55e cartridge was a bad design using plastic locking tabs to hold the head on the tonearm as they crack off. Working on a project to build a 3D model and replicate it.

Kashofa
United States of America

Post by Kashofa » 15 Oct 2019 20:02

I had not played records since the early 90s. This year when a friend's father needed to downsize she offered me his collection (instead of trashing all 100 or so records)

I found old 80s direct drive turntables and am very happy with them for LPs. But I needed a solution for 78s. I tried out a Dual after reading vintage forums and finding a 1019 for $100 - not cheap but not too expensive. I've spent a while with different idlers trying to get them to work reliably and I think the 1019 will work out.

I never had a real favorite but I prefer direct drive. I like the ease of use and especially like quartz timing.

Why did you switch to a Dual? The 1019 is an experiment mire than a switch. I haven't given up any other player for this one.

other current turntables:
Technics SL-QD3 bedroom unit, very convenient and easy to operate

Pioneer PL-750 living room unit, convenient, was cheap and in great shape

AudioTechnica AT-120 - purchased to be a dependable 78 player while I work on idlers trying to improve sound and reliability. This with a Grado 78C has been very helpful in getting a few 78s and having a basis for comparison listening to other 78 players.

Onkyo linear TT - because it's a linear TT :)

I have some other turntables I have been messing with. Some idlers: Garrard 440m, Elac Miracord 40A, but they have not worked out as regular 78 players.

A couple of Pioneers that were broken (free) and unstable speed (cheap) that I fixed and now need homes.