How did you end up with a Dual?

twice the fun
analoged

Re: How did you end up with a Dual?

Post by analoged » 31 Dec 2018 23:22

Many moons ago (mid 70s) I had a crappy BSR and equally crappy BIC turntable for a short time.Then I saw a 510 in a stereo store.Being an admirer of German engineering,I thought this was the best configuration for a turntable.Arm up at end of record,power off,PERFECT.Nothing more needed.
Well,I couldn't have had this girl for more than a couple of months and the start switch gave up the ghost (I think Dual had a bunch of bad switches or something).Brought it back to where I got it and was offered a repair that would entail waiting for parts/repair,or I could take a new 1249 even-steven.So ,of course i took the 1249.Boy I missed that 510.I never once used the auto feature (stacking) on the 1249.
Years went by and the 1249 developed the guide related problem that afflicts all of these eventually,did I say I missed the 510 (no guide)?Into storage my stereo went for about 20 years.
Around 2005 I dug out the old stereo.I heard about fix my dual and called up Bill and decided to send him my 1249(which was in perfect cosmetic condition) and traded it in for a beautiful 601.
I have since found a few more 601s on Ebay and just recently got them all back running after practicing on a 510 .
I got a lube kit,parts from various vendors.Worst part was all the decks I've rehabbed needed 860 motor except one.
So now I have 5 601s a 510 and a 1249(heap).
I really enjoy working on these old girls.Have had a lot of help here and elsewhere.
Only wish someone somewhere would find a warehouse filled with new dust covers they could move at a good price.Clean originals getting scarce it seems.

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 31 Dec 2018 23:56

Dust covers... :roll: ...yeah...I was working on a couple of tables awhile back in the living room... put lights out, headed towards the bedroom, remembered I forgot the phone on the card table I was working on, knelt down on the couch... into the dust cover...that was the 1218's...=D> #-o [-X ...unh... :oops:

Dutchy

Post by Dutchy » 07 Jan 2019 15:01

It was my birthday and instead of a bottle of single malt, my pal thought of something else :-)

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... a69d22.jpg

Strangeway
Canada

Post by Strangeway » 18 Jan 2019 00:44

I got mine as part of an Electrohome Maestro 175 that friends of my in-laws were getting rid of because they'd sold their home. The unit was in like-new condition and even still had the original manual and sales receipt inside ($500 in 1968!!).

I had low expectations but it sounds freaking fantastic despite being 50 years old. Everything about it works perfectly. Definitely built to last!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 Jan 2019 10:28

Strangeway wrote:
18 Jan 2019 00:44
I got mine as part of an Electrohome Maestro 175 that friends of my in-laws were getting rid of because they'd sold their home. The unit was in like-new condition and even still had the original manual and sales receipt inside ($500 in 1968!!).

I had low expectations but it sounds freaking fantastic despite being 50 years old. Everything about it works perfectly. Definitely built to last!
That sounds like a great setup! 8)

Electrohome made some quality equipment. Any chance to get a picture or two?

Nnicola
United States of America

Post by Nnicola » 30 Jan 2019 06:45

I've owned only three turntables in my life and two of them were Duals.

1. The first was a Dual 1215 purchased in 1971 for something like $100. This was part of my first foray into "HiFi Stereo" and it accompanied me to college and many, many locations after that. The Dual was paired with a Shure cartridge (Don't honestly remember which one but it may have been an M44E since I've seen that pairing in other posts..) a Pioneer SX-770 receiver (great FM tuner), and KLH Model 20 loudspeakers. The Dual got pretty beat up in all my moves so it was the first casualty of that system. (Smashed dust cover, dents and bruises on the wooden plinth, lots of wow and flutter from the idler drive system, and finally a depressingly loud hum that was impossible to get rid of.) I think I got $5 for it at a garage sale.

2. My second TT was a Technics SL-230 purchased in 1979 at an electronics store in NYC. (Anybody remember Crazy Eddie and his stores before fraud and bankruptcy drove him out of business?)
I still have that TT and it currently serves as my primary TT mated to a Shure M97xE cart.

3. Late last year, after reading about vintage Dual tables on this site and other forums regarding the vintage Duals to avoid, I picked up a Dual CS-504 in good shape at a thrift shop in PA for about $100, about the same price as my original Dual 1215. The 504 came with an Empire 2300 E/lll that needed a new stylus. I replaced the stylus with an aftermarket product and added the TT to my basement system to mate with my Harman Kardon HK 795i receiver, and EPI 1200 loudspeakers (Not EPI's best effort). Since December I've given the CS-504 a thorough cleaning, a new drive belt, and a new Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. All I've got to do now is improve the horrible acoustics of my basement man-cave, restore my vintage Fisher 500 B receiver, get some loudspeakers to replace the EPI's, I'm thinking vintage KLH, Advents, EPI's or AR's, and I'm all set. (BTW, notice the one common denominator in all those speaker selections is Henry Kloss, with Winslow Burloe a close second.)

Nnicola
United States of America

Post by Nnicola » 30 Jan 2019 06:46

I've owned only three turntables in my life and two of them were Duals.

1. The first was a Dual 1215 purchased in 1971 for something like $100. This was part of my first foray into "HiFi Stereo" and it accompanied me to college and many, many locations after that. The Dual was paired with a Shure cartridge (Don't honestly remember which one but it may have been an M44E since I've seen that pairing in other posts..) a Pioneer SX-770 receiver (great FM tuner), and KLH Model 20 loudspeakers. The Dual got pretty beat up in all my moves so it was the first casualty of that system. (Smashed dust cover, dents and bruises on the wooden plinth, lots of wow and flutter from the idler drive system, and finally a depressingly loud hum that was impossible to get rid of.) I think I got $5 for it at a garage sale.

2. My second TT was a Technics SL-230 purchased in 1979 at an electronics store in NYC. (Anybody remember Crazy Eddie and his stores before fraud and bankruptcy drove him out of business?)
I still have that TT and it currently serves as my primary TT mated to a Shure M97xE cart.

3. Late last year, after reading about vintage Dual tables on this site and other forums regarding the vintage Duals to avoid, I picked up a Dual CS-504 in good shape at a thrift shop in PA for about $100, about the same price as my original Dual 1215. The 504 came with an Empire 2300 E/lll that needed a new stylus. I replaced the stylus with an aftermarket product and added the TT to my basement system to mate with my Harman Kardon HK 795i receiver, and EPI 1200 loudspeakers (Not EPI's best effort). Since December I've given the CS-504 a thorough cleaning, a new drive belt, and a new Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. All I've got to do now is improve the horrible acoustics of my basement man-cave, restore my vintage Fisher 500 B receiver, get some loudspeakers to replace the EPI's, I'm thinking vintage KLH, Advents, EPI's or AR's, and I'm all set. (BTW, notice the one common denominator in all those speaker selections is Henry Kloss, with Winslow Burloe a close second.)

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 31 Jan 2019 19:43

Just chiming in here again since I couldn't find a more suitable place, to say I got a changer spindle for my Dual 1225 in the mail today and couldn't be happier! It makes playing 7" singles so much more fun and convenient when you can just load a stack and flip it after a while instead of jumping up every three minutes to flip or change the record. It's also great to finally be able to play my auto-coupled box sets as easily as a single LP! The spindle is new in box and works perfectly.

Long live record changers, in particular the Dual ones!

Mustangsue

Post by Mustangsue » 31 Jan 2019 19:55

ravelax wrote:
31 Jan 2019 19:43
Just chiming in here again since I couldn't find a more suitable place, to say I got a changer spindle for my Dual 1225 in the mail today and couldn't be happier! It makes playing 7" singles so much more fun and convenient when you can just load a stack and flip it after a while instead of jumping up every three minutes to flip or change the record. It's also great to finally be able to play my auto-coupled box sets as easily as a single LP! The spindle is new in box and works perfectly.

Long live record changers, in particular the Dual ones!
I agree, I hate getting up and down for a record ! In the 80s I was told don't use a 45 adapter that lets you stack them because of a slight spinning of either the bottom or the top record when one drops. I did that for years , getting up and down. Lol I don't notice anything yet with stacking and I can tell if the record would sound different, etc. If it were damaged. Yes with full sized LPs its a relief when you can just stack them. Lol

2002afan
United States of America

Post by 2002afan » 21 Feb 2019 03:06

I just picked up a real nice 604 for 77.00 off eBay plus shipping. :D
Running like a finely tuned VINTAGE German machine. :P
I feel I stole it. :roll: [-X
Cheers,
WillO

GWTWTOO

Post by GWTWTOO » 21 Feb 2019 05:23

Dutchy wrote:
07 Jan 2019 15:01
It was my birthday and instead of a bottle of single malt, my pal thought of something else :-)

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... a69d22.jpg
Is this the Dual 1215? If so, one of my turntables is that model, too.

Percivilla
Canada

Post by Percivilla » 11 Mar 2019 03:11

Grew up with my dad spinning records on a 1229. Sadly he sold it in the 90’s when CD’s were king (he still kicks himself). Was perusing Kijiji (Canadian craigslist) one day and saw a 1229q for a reasonable price. Picked it up and am loving it! It had a full lube and steurpimpel replacement. A few weeks after I got it the motor started chirping. I opened the motor, cleaned it and filled the bearings with compressor oil. Should be good for another 30 years!

Just a week ago, Kijiji again, happened to see an original owner 701 that had been posted ten minutes prior, and for less than half of market value. Called the seller and said I’d be right over. When I got there he said he had gotten quite a few messages and calls after mine :lol: . Paid his full asking price and brought it home. 1229q is running the basement system through a Pioneer SX737 to PSB 50r’s and the 701 is on livingroom duty through a Marantz 2240 to Polk Monitor 7’s.

These tables sound fantastic and look fantastic. Also don’t think I’d ever want to go back to a full manual table. Love the auto return at the end of a side!

SteinarSv
Norway

Post by SteinarSv » 11 Mar 2019 22:30

TR220.jpg
(80.34999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Someone let a Dual mate with a Tandberg...

Oldschoolwax
Palestine

Post by Oldschoolwax » 13 Mar 2019 15:19

I was given my first Dual from my father's brother in the mid 80s, a 1229Q. About 7 years ago I got my second from my mother's brother, a 721. I still have them both and they run great, both have V15iii carts.

I've had a few others, but the only exact model I remember (as I still have that too) is a Technics SL-L3 Linear table from the mid/late 80s.

paulo[57509]
United States of America

Post by paulo[57509] » 04 May 2019 01:13

My Dual 522 was given to me by one of my best friends after his wife (then girlfriend) moved in with him. I never asked him why he was getting rid of his stuff. My guess is it was part of her "purge" of his belongings; she even made him throw away his stash of Top Ramen. :roll:

I had been using the TT to copy some of my vinyl to my PC (then to CD-ROM) but it's been boxed and stored (indoors) for the past 10-15 years.

I recently hooked it back up to my late father's Sansui 800 and now the tone arm will not locate over the record or return home. From what I've been reading, it shouldn't be too difficult to remedy.

Hopefully, I'll be having a bowl of MY Top Ramen and listening to records again soon.