How did you end up with a Dual?

twice the fun
Benilot
Germany

Re: How did you end up with a Dual?

Post by Benilot » 28 Nov 2018 12:06

@dualcan :

As in Oct. 2018, most of all former pytalhost.com files have been moved to hifi-archiv.de !

steijverscom
Netherlands

Post by steijverscom » 28 Nov 2018 17:46

After some searching I decided that a Dual would be a lovely vintage turntable to go forward with. First a Cs505 then a 1225, sold those and went for a 1219 in an original dual ck20 console in white paint.

jvannistelrooy
Netherlands

Post by jvannistelrooy » 03 Dec 2018 20:16

I'm new to all of this. I moved to a bigger home and asked my dad if I could use his old turntable and records that he kept in storage somewhere for over 30 years. A few days later he brought along his Dual CS 1226. It's my first turntable, so the brand didn't mean anything to me.

Unfortunately, the thing wasn't working (motor would not even turn on), so I had to open it up. With help of this forum I've been working myself through a series of problems that needed to be fixed, while learning a lot about turntables in the process. I love the inner workings of the old hardware (cogs and levers as opposed to circuit boards) and the fact that almost everything is fixable. I got the motor to run and fixed the tonearm movements (steuerpimpel, thank you), but still have some things left. I'm sure I'll succeed, and can't wait to play the first record.

nmwhitneyjr

Post by nmwhitneyjr » 10 Dec 2018 14:04

I found a 1229Q on craigslist for $70. Seller had gotten it at an estate sale and knew nothing about it. Cover and plinth were clean... no cracks, splits or even scuffs. Table itself was dusty enough to prove the seller didn't clean it up (but not so dirty that it looked abused or unused). I took a chance.

Started working on it yesterday... and yes... I moved the single/multiplayer lever. Didn't feel like I was forcing it but you know what happened. To anyone who has these tables, the posts around here are not kidding when they say DO NOT MOVE THAT LEVER BEFORE REPLACING THE RUBBER RING! No matter how easily you think the multiplay lever moves, you will be sad.

So repair parts are being ordered today...

tep392

Post by tep392 » 10 Dec 2018 20:28

I bought this 1219 a couple weeks ago at my local record shop. I've been wanting to replace my 80's Kenwood KD-47F with something more vintage, so was looking at some of the used equipment they had, and this cought my eye. I didn't know anything about Dual when I started inspecting it. The platter weight really stood out, making me think there could be some good design in this player. Being an engineer, I noticed the balance weight in the platter. Good sign. :) I ended up buying it for $40 on a whim. The lube wasn't dried out, but it needs the usual rubber bits replaced, plus it's missing the sled. I'm going to disassemble, clean and lube over Christmas and hope to have this thing running nicely by the new year. I'm very anxious to hear how it sounds. I also have a BSR Quanta 450SX that I fixed up, and it sounds pretty good with the vintage ADC cartridge, but it's quality is no where near the Dual. I'm expecting good things from this turntable.

http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/mont ... _thumb.jpg

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 10 Dec 2018 20:42

Gorgeous machine, tep! I think you may like/love the Dual. I have a 1218 and I love it dearly...it was my #1. I have a 1226, --37, and 2 506s...plus a smattering of others, but the Duals are my faves. Along with "the others"...

tep392

Post by tep392 » 11 Dec 2018 03:29

I'm so lucky the lube wasn't hardened, because I was moving all the controls, not know the danger of breaking parts like the dearing ring.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 11 Dec 2018 04:16

tep392 wrote:
11 Dec 2018 03:29
I'm so lucky the lube wasn't hardened, because I was moving all the controls, not know the danger of breaking parts like the dearing ring.
The dearing ring relies on an elastic band, which becomes hardened, and should be replaced.

tep392

Post by tep392 » 11 Dec 2018 04:47

Spinner45 wrote:
11 Dec 2018 04:16

The dearing ring relies on an elastic band, which becomes hardened, and should be replaced.
Yes, A piece of it dropped out the bottom when I changed the height setting. The little ball bearing almost popped out too.

ForthTom
Scotland

Post by ForthTom » 30 Dec 2018 21:31

I saw an ad on eBay for a job-lot of old stereo equipment. I roped in my brother to drive to Glasgow to meet the seller on the third floor of an old tenement building. He didn't say much and we were too puffed out running up and down the stairs to ask about where it all came from. Among the items was a MK1 Leak Troughline, a Trio TK500 hybrid tuner, a Sony ST88 tuner and a Dual 1229*. I recently brought the Dual out of storage to find out more about it. This forum has been a huge help with this. The 1229 has a Shure DM 103 and sits in a cabinet with a drop-down front. The cover was missing so it was covered in a thick layer of dust. I have not yet powered it up as I would like to oil the bearings first. I also need to fix the cracked anti-skate cam. I will be following the instructions provided by mrow2 and if that beats me I'll buy the 3D printed replacement. The grease looks quite fresh.
*The Leak doesn't power up; the Sony worked well and I passed it on for £18 to an enthusiastic buyer in London; the Trio sounds great but suffers from drop-outs - all the components are original except the valves which, according to a pencilled note on the tuning assembly, were replaced in 1974! Other items included four suitcase stereos and a Koyo tuner-amp with built-in 8-track player.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Dec 2018 21:56

tep392 wrote:
10 Dec 2018 20:28
I bought this 1219 a couple weeks ago at my local record shop. I've been wanting to replace my 80's Kenwood KD-47F with something more vintage, so was looking at some of the used equipment they had, and this cought my eye. I didn't know anything about Dual when I started inspecting it. The platter weight really stood out, making me think there could be some good design in this player. Being an engineer, I noticed the balance weight in the platter. Good sign. :) I ended up buying it for $40 on a whim. The lube wasn't dried out, but it needs the usual rubber bits replaced, plus it's missing the sled. I'm going to disassemble, clean and lube over Christmas and hope to have this thing running nicely by the new year. I'm very anxious to hear how it sounds. I also have a BSR Quanta 450SX that I fixed up, and it sounds pretty good with the vintage ADC cartridge, but it's quality is no where near the Dual. I'm expecting good things from this turntable.

http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/mont ... _thumb.jpg
You WILL expect good things from this table, tep, and the table is capable of meeting your every expectation and more! =D>

You may have seen my similar project here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... p?t=107326

The pros here in Detroit got her working and functional and I couldn't have asked for a better outcome! =D>

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 30 Dec 2018 22:22

Sweet looking 1219, tep. Very nice!
Like most of us here, kinda partial to those D-machines!
:oops: ... make that ALL...

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 30 Dec 2018 23:34

DasherF wrote:
30 Dec 2018 22:22
It appears to be missing the finger-lift-cartridge lock lever - hmmmm...... might be needing some more parts.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 00:42

Spinner45 wrote:
30 Dec 2018 23:34
DasherF wrote:
30 Dec 2018 22:22
It appears to be missing the finger-lift-cartridge lock lever - hmmmm...... might be needing some more parts.
Ah, yes, but for a $40 "steal", parts can be found... :wink:

https://organdonorparts.com/Dual-1219-T ... s_c442.htm

I have never let the lack of certain parts dissuade me from buying ANY quality table, esp. if the said table is $50 or less...It's never a dealbreaker, if the price is right! If the table is quality and a good brand, it will only increase in value, as we're seeing with EBay and Craigslist...Still, it pays to hunt out these things doggedly...And for the purposes of this thread, you never know where your next "Dual deal" might be! :wink:

tep392

Post by tep392 » 31 Dec 2018 04:52

Spinner45 wrote:
30 Dec 2018 23:34

It's there. It had been rotated too far back and was hidden under the headshell. I've picked up a new cart sled and have it assembled. Actually played a record on it yesterday. :)