How did you end up with a Dual?

twice the fun
ravelax
Sweden

Re: How did you end up with a Dual?

Post by ravelax » 15 Oct 2018 13:15

I found my Dual 1225 in a second hand store here in Sweden. The price was, in a Swedish context, extremely low considering the turntable looked almost like new (425 SEK or ~$47, these tables generally sell for around 1000 SEK). I had heard of Dual idlers and wanted to try one, to compare it to an old Garrard SP25 Mk II I had inherited. Upon plugging in the Dual I was immediately very impressed, it easily surpassed the Garrard! The Steuerpimpel of course had to be replaced, and after about a month of heavy use I started having speed stability issues, which were relieved by careful cleaning and re-lubing of platterbearing, idler wheel bearing and motor bearings, following dualcans instructions. That was a year ago and it's been running perfectly since. I rapidly grew to prefer it over my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit, which I have since sold. Besides sounding as good or better than the Pro-Ject with all the cartridges I have, the Dual just has so much more character to it, and much better ergonomics. The humble Dual 1225 is now my main table! I use it with an Ortofon Super OM20 cartridge at 1.5 grams.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1943/4533 ... 268c_c.jpg

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 16 Oct 2018 13:29

Nice looking 1225 you got there! Almost the same story for me: this summer I stumbled over a vintage hifi-system in a thriftshop with a Dual 1225 in it. Bought it on a whim, but haven´t had any second thoughts at all. The turntable works and sounds great (of course needed some cleaning, lube and a new stuerpimple :-) ) and it has really gotten me back into vinyl after over two decades on the dark digital side.

Oh by the way, the amp and speakers I got at the same time are rellay nice too: Tandberg TR200 with TL1610:s.

Mustangsue

Post by Mustangsue » 16 Oct 2018 14:39

T68 wrote:
16 Oct 2018 13:29
Nice looking 1225 you got there! Almost the same story for me: this summer I stumbled over a vintage hifi-system in a thriftshop with a Dual 1225 in it. Bought it on a whim, but haven´t had any second thoughts at all. The turntable works and sounds great (of course needed some cleaning, lube and a new stuerpimple :-) ) and it has really gotten me back into vinyl after over two decades on the dark digital side.

Oh by the way, the amp and speakers I got at the same time are rellay nice too: Tandberg TR200 with TL1610:s.
Very nice ! For the price it sounds well worth it ! It looks in nice condition also. When I found mine last summer I never would have thought it would my favorite. Lol

Mustangsue

Post by Mustangsue » 16 Oct 2018 14:45

T68 wrote:
16 Oct 2018 13:29

Same here. Finding a turntable got me back into records. When I was growing up music meant a lot to some people. It helped when you were in certain moods. I guess I forgot that!

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 16 Oct 2018 20:48

It really is in pristine condition... Besides some light scratches on the lid, it basically looks like new. That played a big part in my decision to buy it. I keep drooling over more extravagant turntables, including Duals, but this one keeps reminding me of just how good it is with a good cartridge and decent amp... I can't seem to let it go...

The only thing I miss is the ability to choose size and speed independently of each other when using the automatic function, as well as a size option for 10" LPs (I have quite a few of those). Not that it's necessary, I mostly start it manually anyway, I just think it would be cool to have.

Mustangsue

Post by Mustangsue » 16 Oct 2018 22:01

ravelax wrote:
16 Oct 2018 20:48
It really is in pristine condition... Besides some light scratches on the lid, it basically looks like new. That played a big part in my decision to buy it. I keep drooling over more extravagant turntables, including Duals, but this one keeps reminding me of just how good it is with a good cartridge and decent amp... I can't seem to let it go...

The only thing I miss is the ability to choose size and speed independently of each other when using the automatic function, as well as a size option for 10" LPs (I have quite a few of those). Not that it's necessary, I mostly start it manually anyway, I just think it would be cool to have.
I was going to sell mine before I fixed it and sell it to make some money. I heard it after everything and I said no. Lol Yes with a good cartridge and needle you fall in love with it. Lol I had a nice 1978 Zenith years ago. It sounded excellent with Zenith receiver and big speakers. I still have the speakers and receiver. I always was looking for the same turntable I had. I did find them, but for two to three hundred dollars. More than I paid for it in 1978 ! So now I'm happy. Yes if you are used to certain things or adjustments that's one drawback I guess. I had found for free some other turntables and I was always comparing them to what I did have years ago. Someone up there was thinking of me, thank you! Lol

nebulix

Post by nebulix » 22 Oct 2018 11:05

When I was a teenager in the 1970s, my parents had a Dual 1210 turntable. It came bundled with an inexpensive Panasonic receiver and speakers.

At the time, the belt-drive, fully manual Japanese decks with the S-shaped tonearms were becoming all the rage.
My parents' bottom-of-the-line 1210 only had a ceramic cartridge! It seemed like a dinosaur, with it's old-fashioned idler wheel and clunky record changer spindle. Nothing to compare to my sleek new Pioneer PL-12D.

So I never liked Duals, because I thought they were all like my parents' lowly 1210.

Fast forward to the 1980s, and the advent of CDs. Being an early adopter, I bought a top-of-the line Sony CD player for $400, the equivalent of $1,000 today. All my scratched LPs went in the dumpster, and I embarked on my new digital CD collection.

Fast forward again to 2015. All those CDs had also been relegated to the dumpster by the time I acquired a classic pair of Marantz Model 1 tube preamps. These I used for my purely digital audio system. I read that they were superlative phono preamps, with variable EQ curves designed by Saul Marantz himself.

I long ago decided against going back to phono. It would mean starting another collection. Records were expensive, and I didn't have room for them, etc., etc.

But I was still curious about the phono stage on the Marantz preamps. I hadn't heard them, and didn't even know if they worked. So I bought a cheap $140 Technics turntable and a couple of records, just for the purpose of testing the preamps.

Well. Fast forward to 2018. Five turntables and 300 records later, I guess I'm well entrenched in my new, expensive collection.

After the Technics, I bought a Hitachi belt drive, semi-automatic, which was nice because you didn't have to get up to stop the record. Next, I somehow ended up with a low-end Garrard changer, which I never liked. I did, however, like the fully-automatic functionality, as we become lazier with age.

In my search for a decent full-auto deck, I found a Dual 1218 for $75 on Kijiji. I thought of my Parent's meagre 1210, but reminded myself that the 1218 had true ring-in-ring gyroscopic gimbal bearings, which was all the rage in the '70s.
After a couple of months with the 1218, I was thoroughly hooked on Dual. I knew that idlers were coming back in style, and I wanted a full-sized platter, so next I acquired a 1219 which I absolutely love.

Then came the 1249, my first Dual belt drive, and yes, for nostalgia sake, I even have the venerable 1210 for stacking my 78s. I have a new appreciation for that deck, with it's excellent build quality, and German engineering, every bit a Dual as its more sophisticated siblings.

So over several decades, I've gone full circle with records and Duals. I still have my massive collection of digital audio on a dedicated music computer, but I love to spin the vinyls, and watch the tonearm operate automatically with clockwork precision.

Every once in a while, I still like to time how long it takes the 1219 to stop spinning after it shuts off. Last time, it took 1 minute and 45 seconds to come to a complete stop.
1210.JPG
(154.11 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Oct 2018 20:41

Love that story, nebulix! =D> Isn't it something how the things we swear we'll never do as kids end up being the things we end up reverting back to as we get older, more nostalgic, more like our parents, etc.? :-k You never thought you'd get back into playing records again...and yet, HERE you are! :wink: I gave them up (never threw them away) for a time in the 90's, when I got full-on into cassettes, cassette singles and CD's...I met this guy about 20 years ago (can't believe it's been so long!) who became my co-worker and later, my vinyl mentor, when I discovered he had a collection of 5,000+ 45's...He was the one who solely turned me back on to buying vinyl (and now I have MORE records than even he or I could have expected! #-o )...In the process, I ended up helping to build his collection with newer titles as I picked up all of the vinyl I'd missed out on in the 90's...Plus, we went to several record shows together and he even gave me my first colored record, a copy of ELO's "Sweet Talkin' Woman" b/w "Fire On High" on purple vinyl! I even got all of his duplicate 45's and inherited his old record shelves when he had to make a move! There was a time between 1999 and 2002 that I just went nuts with it! It's been a fun journey and it continues to get better because now I can go deeper, esp. with the help of the Internet, to discover names and artists I hadn't known about before...Of course, I spend a lot of time crate-digging in thrift stores, antique stores, flea markets, record shops, etc. It's finding that unknown item, that LP you must have because of the cover art, that rare Northern Soul record that's eluded you for decades, etc. that really makes it all worthwhile...It's the smell of the dust, the aura of the places, the people I meet and the thrill of the hunt that keeps me doing it...Record stores used to be a dying breed, but with the advent and resurgence of vinyl again, they're popping up more and more...I'm finding records at more and more places, too, like bookstores and on Craigslist...I recently got my fifth Dual, a 1219, thanks to one of our members here, BMRR...My vinyl mentor has a decent set-up, but all of his turntables are manual...He has been having issues with diabetes and his hands have been unsteady due to the after-effects...He's also walking a little better now, but he still wears special compression socks to ease the nerve pain in his feet...In any case, the shakiness in his hands has made it hard for him to pick up a tonearm, which is why I wanted to find him something more automatic with a cue lever...So, when the 1219 came up, I thought it would be perfect! My thought is to take this Dual, get it all "spiffied up" and pair it with a thrift store Sherwood receiver and some recent Advent/1 speakers I acquired locally...The whole package will be given to him as a gift, hopefully before or by Christmas...He has just about given up playing his records in recent years, but still wishes he could enjoy them like he did in his youth...We've talked about this gift before and he has been really excited about it, so my hope is to give it to him as my thanks for everything he has done for me over the years..Without him, I might have lost the passion for this hobby that I now have, but because of his passion for all things analog, I've been inspired to keep the vinyl journey going! =D>

Ain't it nice when things come full circle like that??? :-k :wink:

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 23 Oct 2018 01:20

Oh, yeah, it's not the kill...it's the thrill of the chase!... I think that's how Purple put it...
What a great gesture, vm! ... I can't say say any more about what vinyl master is doing for vinyl mentor! I talked a little with him over the weekend about the fitting of the various Dual series' sleds. If I got it right, any 1200 series sleds are interchangeable...he and Tink explained it for me.
He'll love the set (I do!).

Zvezda
United States of America

Post by Zvezda » 25 Oct 2018 16:44

I needed another turntable, and I knew I lived in the same city as Bill at FixMyDual. One phone call and a visit to his shop, and I had a fully-functioning 1019.

Davids_CA
United States of America

Post by Davids_CA » 29 Oct 2018 21:05

A neighbor of my mother-in-law was going into a care facility. His children had already gone through most of his stuff, but none of them wanted any of his stereo components. They gave the neighbors (and the neighbors' children and in-laws) permission to go through the rest of it. I got a few cool things from him - a JVC quad receiver, a Kenwood KX-710 top-load cassette deck, and a Dual 1228. All these worked perfectly, except for the cassette deck (it has a note on top stating it needs a new belt). I bought a single-play spindle on eBay for the 1228, as the original was packed away somewhere. I missed out on four AR speakers of the same vintage, but I think I did well on the other stuff.

That 1228 is still in NC, and I'll move it to CA when I move the rest of the household, but in the meantime, I wanted another Dual. I've acquired a 510 (waiting on parts to attempt to tame the double-speed motor issue), a 1219 (needing some work), and today a 506-1 that actually works. I'm sure I'll thin these Duals down to two - likely the 510 because it's simple, well built, and looks nice and the 1219, because it's automatic, built like a tank, and will work properly. I've got a Pioneer PL-112D, a B&O RX2, and a Technics SL-1900 in addition to these four Duals, so getting rid of a couple wouldn't be the worst thing...

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 29 Oct 2018 22:25

Oh, yeah, those tanker Duals are to die for (don't get me wrong, I love my two 506's, a -1 and a straight-up model). My first table ever was a 1218. Yeah, tank (U)!

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 29 Oct 2018 22:26

Oh, yeah, those tanker Duals are to die for (don't get me wrong, I love my two 506's, a -1 and a straight-up model). My first table ever was a 1218. Yeah, tank (U)!

MetalWarrior
Germany

Post by MetalWarrior » 08 Nov 2018 21:32

Hello everyone,
I am new here; vinyl master hinted me to this thread - thank you, vinyl master!
Interesting stories to read here, very cool!
JaBK wrote:
22 Oct 2014 12:43
Out of curiousity, how did you end up with the Dual that you are now running?
When I was in my teenies in the 90s, I bought a picture LP, even though I did not have a turn table. But I could listen to it on my father's; just recently asked him, it is a Grundig / Dual 1019.
Back then, I already had all the CDs of my favorite bands, and they meant (and still do) much to me. But the picture disc sounded differently; not technically better or worse; just different in a magic way. Magic since I knew the songs in and out - all details and frequencies were there, but not in an inanimate way; it was as if they were not standing still but alive; like a photo of a tree you've seen every day, but suddenly you find the leaves not standing still but dancing tiny wee little circles in the wind. Just metaphorically speaking. Later, I would think that might have merely been a side-effect from distortion; similar to guitar overdrive which is technically noise but music to me?

Yet, it was that picture LP listening experience that stuck in my mind. Though it was not my first listening to records. As a kid, my father also played classical and other music that we listened together. Maybe because it was a more personal and intimate experience listening to the picture LP since I listened alone and via headphones - had to, since my parents could not stand that loud noise which is heavy metal music to people like me - and eventually, after long but successful evangelization, to my mum, too :D

Getting a turn table, however, was out of question for long; did not have too much money to spend, and also did not really think it would be worth it; that magical listening sensation most likely would have been because records distort maybe in a pleasant way. As I began making music, the last years, and gathered my gear, I realized I favored amps, guitars, mics which are as old as or even older than I am; I didn't think about it, at first; I simply preferred them over new gear, and eventually, the thought crossed my mind: obviously, old technology is not inferior to new technology per se. So, what if records actually can sound good?

I watched some videos on youtube, read some articles - and eventually decided to give it a try, why not.

Then, on the internet, I saw a nice turn table for sale in a neighbor town; did a bit research on the net, asked my father what he thought about it, and he said: Can't do wrong with Dual, he also has a Dual 1019. I didn't know he kept his; otherwise, I could have asked to borrow and eventually inherit it :wink: But since I already had contacted the seller, I didn't wanna go back from my word. I also had a good gut feeling about it, so no reason to worry.

The seller was nice, explained to nooby-me what I shall take care of and how to use it properly, payed it with one of his records, it sounded good, and I ended up with my first turn table, a Dual 601 with an Ortofon M20E cartridge, presumably the original stock one:
Dual601_inAction.JPG
(300.59 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
As for the picture LP which had set my path towards my own turn table; I still have it, it is warped, though; stored it wrong, and now I am trying to fix it. It does play, but the warp is like a giant wave which the stylus bravely surfed up and down, yet, got me scared of breaking anything. So, I decided to wait patiently for the warp to flatten out, checking it day by day like a christmas calendar ^^
I still do have the very headphones with which I listened to it the first time; yet, my amp's phones output impedance is too high. However, my father still has his old amp he had used back then, and also his turn table. So, if it works out then the listening can be repeated with the same gear as 24 years ago - with gear that is far older than me, yet has less wrinkles than me :D Maybe it turns out that the memory is nicer than reality, maybe it spellbinds me once again, I'll see. Meanwhile, my new TT already has amazed me in an A/B test of Judas Priest's Stained Class, as mentioned in my first post in this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42000&p=929520#p929520

That's how I came to records (EDIT: and the Dual 601) - eventually - and already got very very happy!

Sorry that this post got so long; thanks for the stories all of you have shared, and thanks for having me here!

islandkraut
United States of America

Post by islandkraut » 10 Nov 2018 06:34

Just as Ehtoo, dualcan and others, I came to my Duals through my parents, my Dad specifically. He was a Radio TV repair trade master, and ran a Radio/TV repair shop in Germany while I grew up in my teenage years. Every machine we had at home, (and there were may due to one of his personality streaks being a hoar... erm... hunter gatherer) was some sort of rescue from the repair shop, in some case never picked up repair jobs, abandoned ones for cost, or displays from the retail section.

As such, we had a 601 running in my parents den, and, one Christmas, after mastering soldering and some begging, I inherited a decent 721, which was my machine for years. Eventually, my youth caused me to go digital, and emigrating to the states caused me to abandon all of the 220V equipment.

Recently, my Dad passed away, and now facing the basement, I decided to resurrect the collection, having started successfully with the 721, which (after some solder work, a few caps and cables) again is atop the entertainment center now 40 years later and 7200 miles away.
The most recent trip, I ...erm... rescued the 1228 and 1226, the former of which runs again as well. Waiting for later trips are the original 601, 1209, 1215, a 1224 in HS130 amp, and a wrecked three speed 1010).

The one amazing thing about those Duals is that they are almost indestructible, running again with a bit of new lube, despite having sat for decades in Dads damp and dank Keller... While there is rust on some parts, the mechanism still works.