How did you end up with a Dual?

twice the fun
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: How did you end up with a Dual?

Post by vinyl master » 14 Dec 2014 05:09

EZRyder wrote:So, this one time, at an Estate Sale.... i was just wandering through this house and turned into the den and there on one wall is an old Sansui receiver and another amp and multiple pairs of AR speakers and this Dual turntable. I can't say i knew the name, nor would I previously have considered myself an audiophile, but I immediately had a memory flash of sitting on the floor at my aunt and uncles house when i was about 14-15 (1978ish) listening to the Grateful Dead and staring at the front of the turntable and it was exactly the one I was looking at in this estate sale house in Charleston, SC. with that wood base and the little Dual logo in a metal strip. it looked like it had set on this same shelf since it was new and was pristine, not a scratch on the funky multi-hinged hatch-front dustcover. i bought it instantly. now I have to get it all tuned up and refurbed. (any suggestions on where to go for that would be great.) I bought the Sansui 9090DB receiver as well. Takes me back. "ooh, oh, that smell..can you smell that smell..."
Ah, "the stuff that dreams are made of", as Carly Simon so aptly put it. I like the pairing of the Dual and the Sansui! I have three questions, though. What model Dual is it? Did you buy the AR speakers, too? And did you get a good deal on the lot?

I'd love to see pictures, too, if you have any! =P~

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Dec 2014 05:13

BruceEmbry wrote:My story is a little boring. In 1977, I finally decided to buy my only turntable that I would every buy. That turntable ended up being Dual 1245. Well its 2014 and I still have and use the turntable every week of the year. Normally I like to play music on Saturday mornings. The Dual has serve me well over the years. Every now and then I clean her up, give her some oil in the choice places. She keeps on delivering music to my soul. She now sports an Denon DL-304 and tracks all of my vinyl without any problems.
Not a boring story, but a beautiful testament to the Power of the Dual! What kind of music do you usually play on it? Or is it an eclectic mix?

In any case, thanks for sharing and for keeping the Dual alive...30+ years and still ticking...There are watches that have died sooner than this!

latamise

Post by latamise » 14 Dec 2014 07:36

Rescued the poor thing from a skip in the 1980s!

higis

Post by higis » 14 Dec 2014 15:53

Got intrested in vinyl and decided to buy a turntable to play my 2 records i had bought earlier. So I checked my local internet sales sites and did some research on internet. Decided that a good turntable for me would be a used technics or dual. After a few weeks of daily checking I spotted a Dual CS 505-3 that has not been used for 15 years for 100€, I thought this is my chance.

I went to see it and it had an ortofon X3-MC cart with a broken stylus even though the guy said it was in working condition. Turned out he did hadn't noticed it either so I got the turntable for 50€. Now it's sitting on my table waiting for a amp, speakers and new cart (already bought Ortofon OM-10). So I haven't been able to listen it yet, but I think I can't go wrong with a Dual for that price.

EZRyder

Post by EZRyder » 14 Dec 2014 22:31

vinyl master wrote:
EZRyder wrote:So, this one time, at an Estate Sale.... i was just wandering through this house and turned into the den and there on one wall is an old Sansui receiver and another amp and multiple pairs of AR speakers and this Dual turntable. I can't say i knew the name, nor would I previously have considered myself an audiophile, but I immediately had a memory flash of sitting on the floor at my aunt and uncles house when i was about 14-15 (1978ish) listening to the Grateful Dead and staring at the front of the turntable and it was exactly the one I was looking at in this estate sale house in Charleston, SC. with that wood base and the little Dual logo in a metal strip. it looked like it had set on this same shelf since it was new and was pristine, not a scratch on the funky multi-hinged hatch-front dustcover. i bought it instantly. now I have to get it all tuned up and refurbed. (any suggestions on where to go for that would be great.) I bought the Sansui 9090DB receiver as well. Takes me back. "ooh, oh, that smell..can you smell that smell..."
Ah, "the stuff that dreams are made of", as Carly Simon so aptly put it. I like the pairing of the Dual and the Sansui! I have three questions, though. What model Dual is it? Did you buy the AR speakers, too? And did you get a good deal on the lot?

I'd love to see pictures, too, if you have any! =P~
Attachments
image.jpg
In their new home!
(743.04 KiB) Downloaded 1438 times
image.jpg
Dual 1229 (and Sansui 9090DB). I did not buy the speakers. Yes, from what Im reading it was a very good deal, but more importantly, in good working order!
(785.55 KiB) Downloaded 1438 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Dec 2014 06:49

That's beauty-ful, EZ Ryder! And I really dig the lights, too! Nice accents... =D>

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 15 Dec 2014 11:43

I like the Sansui. It makes a nice pairing with the Dual 1229!

I used to have a Sansui 8080 and liked it very much.

Have you ever had to have the dolby board re-soldered on the 9090DB?

EZRyder

Post by EZRyder » 15 Dec 2014 13:49

Tinkaroo wrote:I like the Sansui. It makes a nice pairing with the Dual 1229!

I used to have a Sansui 8080 and liked it very much.

Have you ever had to have the dolby board re-soldered on the 9090DB?
As I mentioned I was not an "audiophile" previously, but I feel like I have inherited a little treasure from the estate of this Jazz aficionado here in Charleston the more I research about these pieces (the estate sale was just this past weekend so it's all new to me - if you're interested, look up "Total Estate Sales" in Charleston, SC for their last auction. This one had several other pieces of audio equip. including another amp that was $1300+, and the AR speakers i mentioned earlier). As such, I can't take credit for knowing to pair those two pieces, and maybe I should have bought a couple of the AR speakers he had as well, but I didn't. I have always been a serious music collector since I was an adolescent in the 1970s, having saved my entire vinyl collection of late 70s/80s alternative/new wave/punk/rock albums, as well as inheriting a lot of 60s rock from my dad and uncle, who were fanatics about handling and cleaning the records properly, etc., so I've been happily pulling out all the old records I haven't heard in 25+ years since i last had a turntable.
Both pieces I purchased work fine, and I'm enjoying them, but from my research it does seem like a full restore is both possible and worthwhile. I've noticed some issues like the start/stop switch on the turntable is a bit "gummy" and the platter doesn't necessarily stop spinning when a record is done. I did put a new stylus/cartridge on the tonearm, but it was just what I could find here at Guitar Center which is mostly DJ stuff, you know. I put the Shure M44-7 on it for now. What Cart do you think it should have?
The Sansui reciever does have some sort of issue with the Dolby because sometimes if you turn the selector knob one or the other channel will cut out, and then you have to fiddle with it a bit until they both come back on, so I just don't touch the knob. So far I have found "QrxRestore.com" for the Sansui, and "FixMyDual.com" for the turntable, websites that seem to offer good restore services. Does anyone have experience with those websites/businesses? Or any recommendations for full restore services here in the Southeast (I'm in Charleston, SC)?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 15 Dec 2014 14:10

It is possible that the pots in some of your control switches/knobs may just need cleaning with deoxit or contact cleaner.

One of our members Alec, had a full restoration done on his 9090DB. He said it was expensive but worth it since it is a special receiver. Some of the dolby boards had problems with solder tracings on this model, and I've read that all of circuitry runs through the board even if not being selected. The problem you are experiencing sounds more like switches needing cleaning however which is not that difficult.

Bill Bohhey at Fixmydual has a good reputation from what I have read about him.

PS- I think a Shure V15 Type III or IV work nicely with this table as well as a Shure M95ED.

safemanusa

Post by safemanusa » 18 Dec 2014 18:05

New here but not to my Dual 1229. I purchased and built a Heathkit AR-1500A stereo receiver in the 1970s. I also purchased my Dual 1229 with United Audio plinth and cover at the same time. Before that I had a cheap Gerrad record changer and a KLH suitcase player.

I used my AR-1500A until the 1990s. It had terrible controls. I repaired them several times and could not stand the static anymore! Since then I have succumbed to "modern" digital receivers the latest being a Yamaha "natural sound" HTR-5450. I think the digital era has driven me back to the warm/rich sound of the analog turntable and tube pre-amps and receivers. Perhaps I will acquire some nice tube unit(s) again now that used tubes have made a comeback. I really miss the sound of my AR-1500A in its heyday!

I have an extensive collection of classical, pop, jazz LPs and my dad gave me his 78 rpm collection. So from time to time I would pull my Dual 1229 out to listen. Purchased a cheap TC-750 pre-amp a few years ago but that has died and soon to be replaced by a Bugle 2. I know not a tube unit but that will come.

More recently my daughter asked for a turntable for Christmas! So dragged out my Dual 1229 again. This time for keeps! Needs some repair. I purchased some parts and bidding on some used 1229s for parts. Hope to find a decent 1229 that I could rebuild and give to my daughter!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Dec 2014 21:27

safemanusa wrote: More recently my daughter asked for a turntable for Christmas! So dragged out my Dual 1229 again. This time for keeps! Needs some repair. I purchased some parts and bidding on some used 1229s for parts. Hope to find a decent 1229 that I could rebuild and give to my daughter!
If you need any assistance in getting your 1229 operational again, then please feel free to open a new thread in the Dual section. If you need owners and service manuals they can be downloaded for free from the library.

The 1229 is and excellent turntable which I'm sure would be a great gift for your daughter. =D>

safemanusa

Post by safemanusa » 18 Dec 2014 22:01

Tinkaroo wrote:
safemanusa wrote: If you need any assistance in getting your 1229 operational again, then please feel free to open a new thread in the Dual section. If you need owners and service manuals they can be downloaded for free from the library.

The 1229 is and excellent turntable which I'm sure would be a great gift for your daughter. =D>
Thanks Tinkaroo. I KNOW that the Dual 1229 cannot be beat! :D Even those new ones offered today cannot beat the wow/flutter unless you are ready to fork over your life's savings!

I have been reading these threads and downloaded all of the information on the 1229 in the vinylengine library and purchased some tools and lube so ready to go! I even purchased a quite clean unit on eBay that needs some repair but I will be ready to go with it! Thanks to all for posting your ideas/suggestions over the years!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Dec 2014 02:51

Fantastic gift, Safeman...I'm sure your daughter will be enjoying it for years to come! Nothing like the gift of music either...I suggest you find out what her favorite bands are, and surprise her with a record or two to christen it! :mrgreen:

safemanusa

Post by safemanusa » 20 Dec 2014 02:58

@vinylmaster - Been there done that!

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » 20 Dec 2014 11:02

I just picked up a Dual 621, and I am loving it! the full-auto sure is useful, very cool to have

my Empire 698 has auto-lift, which I like, but this little Dual sure is handy with the full monty

will keep the Empire for mint/new LP's and use the Dual for everyday casual listening. it will even repeat-play. liking it a lot