Amen to that, ludite! =D>

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: How did you end up with a Dual?

Post by DSJR » 05 Nov 2014 14:05

:lol:

Already pondering, but 505's aren't where I want to be and in the UK, vintage models aren't as common as they are elsewhere in the world. The 1214 was only given to me because of severe transit damage and it was only given to me to 'play with' as it would have seen the 'Tidy Tip' otherwise. The poor thing was in good visible order before, apart from the over-greasing underneath.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Nov 2014 02:25

Don't worry, DSJR...There will be another Dual for you down the line! I never thought I would own 2 of them in my lifetime, but here I am with two of them, and always on the hunt for another...It's OK...Maybe in the UK, they are not as plentiful, but keep your eyes open...Sometimes, they can be found in large consoles, too...In a way, you blokes have it better in the UK, since hi-fi shops are more plentiful it seems, and vinyl records are a serious business over there...I could be wrong, but finding a decent audio shop here is like finding a needle in a haystack! Fortunately, I've not had any problems finding the right pieces for my collection, though...Patience is key, for sure!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 06 Nov 2014 10:33

Actually for people in England there are lots of vintage Dual's available from places in Europe such as Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, etc..

Finding stuff locally can often mean patience and a very long wait, but if someone is willing to have something shipped then there are various used audio sites or perhaps ebay where one could find equipment.

I don't think the key is to find it ultra cheap or free since those acquisitions often require a lot more work, plus addition of missing parts which often cost a premium. Sometimes it is better to get a fully intact example that may just need cleaning, even if it costs more than buying the cheapie with many missing parts such as headshell, cartridge and dust cover.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 06 Nov 2014 11:15

I agree with you Tinkaroo, however, I like to buy a somehow beaten up but complete turntable which gives me the extra benefit of fun-working on a nice restoration and the satisfaction that comes in with it when seeing the result! The "before" and "after" kind of comparison is always rather rewarding.
Hugh.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 06 Nov 2014 21:52

Hifi shops in the UK are a dying breed now and the few good dealers usually work from home, or a dedicated extension at home. The used market is where it's at and eBay has gone bananas over here. You're right about the European market though and I've located bits and bobs for the 1214 in The Netherlands and Germany, as well as a tonearm from the US, which was beautifully packed for safe transit.

gg383

Post by gg383 » 09 Nov 2014 09:57

My first quality TT in the mid '70s was a Garrard SL95B, it was a nice TT but I heard about Dual TT's and it wasn't long before I traded it for a 1218. I later sold that to help pay for the 1229Q that I still have. A couple of years ago the bug hit me again and I now own more Dual TT's than I can possibly ever use and do justice to in whats left in my life!! I putz with them in the winter, helps to keep me busy on the days I don't have to shovel!! GG

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Nov 2014 20:18

gg383 wrote:My first quality TT in the mid '70s was a Garrard SL95B, it was a nice TT but I heard about Dual TT's and it wasn't long before I traded it for a 1218. I later sold that to help pay for the 1229Q that I still have. A couple of years ago the bug hit me again and I now own more Dual TT's than I can possibly ever use and do justice to in whats left in my life!! I putz with them in the winter, helps to keep me busy on the days I don't have to shovel!! GG
You sound like me a bit, gg383, but I have a lot of TT's, and not just Duals only. But, I can say that the Duals have been my favorites so far. And you never know when another one might appear, either...Fun projects they are, though...

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 10 Nov 2014 20:51

gg, what you need to do now is go full circle and find a good SL95B to play with. Not as well finished or tolerance, but extremely worthy if fettled right. I'm still stunned how good my Garrards sound, the AP76 especially, when they have no right to at all. Shows the basic design was good until Plessey started bean-counting :(

Stoney1a

Post by Stoney1a » 07 Dec 2014 19:16

Bought mine over 15 years ago at an estate sale where they were selling 6 different turntables. Wish I could go back and buy them al. I bought the Dual 1919, because it was in the best shape of the bunch. Had it serviced 14 years ago and it's been serving me well until last week when it stopped.

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 08 Dec 2014 00:58

Did you mean a Dual 1219?

So, is the motor not running when power is on? Check to make sure voltage is getting to the motor? Can you spin the armature to see if it is stuck? Does anything look or smell burnt? Is there still power at the wall plug? Other than a little oil for the motor, these electric motors should be good almost forever.
Maybe someone else can ask some other questions as well regarding a non-working motor.

duastar

Post by duastar » 09 Dec 2014 06:33

lreneat wrote:Did you mean a Dual 1219?
... these electric motors should be good almost forever.
Maybe someone else can ask some other questions as well regarding a non-working motor.
Not sure. The motor have a small 0.8 mm thick disc made of bronze under the shaft. Subjected to wear. Even after few years one can see wearing by loupe or speed lowering (because lowering of pulley). Replaceable certainly but not last forever. What is more I worrying is the shaft itself. If I remember Klaus (dualcan) wrote motor will work well till chrome coating of the shaft bottom still look undamaged. Also not good almost forever. It is thin copper layer under chrome and after ... friction will be much higher and shaft wearing quicker than for chrome-bronze pair.
One more worrying point is upper bearing. Have never heard somebody complaint on this bearing but it is radial pressure against the bronze bushing wall during operation. The surface of contact is large enough to exclude quick wearing but requires adequate lubrication. If I can disassemble bottom bearing and fill the felt with a fresh oil ... not for the upper. I didn't catch the moment.
The last question I would like to clear. It is difficult to find Isoflex PDP40. I heard this synthetic oil was chosen because of it's "non-conductive capacity". What does it mean? I use Isoflex PDP65 with higher viscosity (68). Hope the result will not lead to disaster. At least it should have "non-conductive capacity" too. :wink:
And ... did somebody try to use silicone oil for lubrication? It's easy to find high quality oil with necessary viscosity. Not degradable and temperature stable. Usually silicones is not acceptable to lubricate metal pairs, but in our case we have chrome-bronze pair which is ideally recomended for silicone oil application. What do you think about?

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 10 Dec 2014 00:26

The more I learn about the Dual 1219 and 1229 the more I grow to not like them. I was able to get two of the 1219's to work properly, but had to give-up on the 1229 due to no signs of damage where the problem actually was. Other than gaining the 78 RPM speed, I would steer clear of most rim drive 1200 series rim drive Dual turntables. I do have a 1228 which has behaved itself quit well. I suspect that belt drive Dual turntables are more often than not the more reliable and easier to fix of the Dual turntable options. I have two Dual 601's which have been good reliable single play automatic players. Does anyone have any opinions of the 1245 Dual? It is a belt drive model and I think the same motor as the 601.

EZRyder

Post by EZRyder » 13 Dec 2014 14:09

So, this one time, at an Estate Sale.... i was just wandering through this house and turned into the den and there on one wall is an old Sansui receiver and another amp and multiple pairs of AR speakers and this Dual turntable. I can't say i knew the name, nor would I previously have considered myself an audiophile, but I immediately had a memory flash of sitting on the floor at my aunt and uncles house when i was about 14-15 (1978ish) listening to the Grateful Dead and staring at the front of the turntable and it was exactly the one I was looking at in this estate sale house in Charleston, SC. with that wood base and the little Dual logo in a metal strip. it looked like it had set on this same shelf since it was new and was pristine, not a scratch on the funky multi-hinged hatch-front dustcover. i bought it instantly. now I have to get it all tuned up and refurbed. (any suggestions on where to go for that would be great.) I bought the Sansui 9090DB receiver as well. Takes me back. "ooh, oh, that smell..can you smell that smell..."

BruceEmbry

Post by BruceEmbry » 14 Dec 2014 03:05

My story is a little boring. In 1977, I finally decided to buy my only turntable that I would every buy. That turntable ended up being Dual 1245. Well its 2014 and I still have and use the turntable every week of the year. Normally I like to play music on Saturday mornings. The Dual has serve me well over the years. Every now and then I clean her up, give her some oil in the choice places. She keeps on delivering music to my soul. She now sports an Denon DL-304 and tracks all of my vinyl without any problems.