twice the fun
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: How did you end up with a Dual?

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Oct 2014 10:40

I really like the FrankenThorens Klaus! :D

I'm not so sure about the Grundig portable reel to reel being considered sexy however! :lol:

It does remind me of my father however with his little reel to reel recorder around 1970. He was pretty proud of that machine! :mrgreen:

gnuyork

Post by gnuyork » 23 Oct 2014 12:37

vinyl master wrote:Gnuyork, you will not be dissatisfied with the Dual! It will lead you on a path to find more turntables! Trust me...These are classics worth rehabbing...If Dual is such a bad brand, how come we have 12 respondents so far and counting on this thread alone (and Don hasn't even weighed in yet...) I don't see the same happening for General Electric, Emerson, or Panasonic for that matter. So many makes and models out there. I have some of those types, but the Duals just elicit a different reaction from people. You mentioned that it took you a while to get with the program, but I'll tell you...It's better late than never...Be patient, and the next one will come...You're talking to the man with 18 assorted turntables and record players (and counting)...One thing will lead to another, but I can say that a good Dual can best or compete with all of them...Take a look at how many are still in use to this day...That is not an accident. They are built like tanks and made to last! Yes, they do need some work, but the sounds that come out of them are fantastic! Vintage all the way, baby!! \:D/
Oh yeah! Once I get my new cart installed, I'll look forward to enjoying the Dual. Right now I don't trust the old empire as I don't know the history of it's use. I do know it was clogged with dust and lint and even after cleaning with the magic eraser method, it still looks filthy.

I have a new Denon DL-110 to mount after I have read enough and get the courage to do it.

I tell you this, after it's set up and all goes well, I can see myself being quite satisfied with it, and maybe the urge to get more tables will not happen soon. I really LOVE the way the table looks, So retro and cool. Bonus I got it for $75.

As I said I will need to address the motor issue and the auto issues, but as it stands now, it can play music.

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 23 Oct 2014 17:59

vinyl master wrote:Gnuyork, you will not be dissatisfied with the Dual! It will lead you on a path to find more turntables! Trust me...These are classics worth rehabbing...If Dual is such a bad brand, how come we have 12 respondents so far and counting on this thread alone (and Don hasn't even weighed in yet...) I don't see the same happening for General Electric, Emerson, or Panasonic for that matter. So many makes and models out there. I have some of those types, but the Duals just elicit a different reaction from people. You mentioned that it took you a while to get with the program, but I'll tell you...It's better late than never...Be patient, and the next one will come...You're talking to the man with 18 assorted turntables and record players (and counting)...One thing will lead to another, but I can say that a good Dual can best or compete with all of them...Take a look at how many are still in use to this day...That is not an accident. They are built like tanks and made to last! Yes, they do need some work, but the sounds that come out of them are fantastic! Vintage all the way, baby!! \:D/
It's funny. I've invested mucho dollars in my primary TT which gives me extreme pleasure in listening to it every night but, the vintage TT's - Thorens & Dual - I derive just as much pleasure and for some inexplicable reason, find the vintage gear more relaxing. I spin 1 lp every evening on my main table but 2 or more on the vintage. Tweaking the vintage stuff has only brought out more good. As much as new gear may have improved, the basics were laid down here, they were built to last and the price of admission is significantly less.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 23 Oct 2014 19:17

Hi All,

When I was a kid in the late fifties, my Dad and Mom were already music lovers: all kinds of music, and I remember them playing their old jazz 78's on the living room steel needle pick-up linked to the wooden AM tubes radio. Then came a Philips radio set with built-in 3 speeds turntable on top.
So, when I turned sixteen, they allowed me to spend my pocket money to buy a RCA RP190 45's changer, connected to an old Belgian Novak table radio, which got its place in my bedroom and practically never stopped playing, even during my home works (!)
A few years later, I got an appointment to leave and work in South Africa for three years. I was moving with all my stuff, so I couldn't leave my records behind!
My Grand Mother bought me a portable PE 66 stereo changer (if I remember correctly).
One day I really got bitten further by the HiFi bug and thought it wasn't good enough anymore. Late in 69, I saw a brand new Dual 1019 at my favourite HiFi shop, and I just couldn't resist...
Linked it to a Kenwood KA 2500 and a pair of Wharfedale W30D Super Linton and I really got it singing!
When I got back to Europe, I still used it for seven years, then I let myself go for something more modern like a Marantz 6170 direct drive to match my new 2245 receiver and the Dual went to the attic...(it was back in '79)
Took it out about fifteen years ago: it was still working but showed a beginning of the usual neglected Dual diseases (dry lube, dry motor bearings etc).
That was unbearable for me , so I started to try and fix it by the DIY method...and I'm glad I didn't do any irreversible damage in the process. But it worked eventually, until I got more issues (steuerpimpel, noisy motor, bees in the speakers) ... and that's when I met the VE mob where I found help and advice from a lot of nice friends (Alex, Don, Klaus, and many others to whom I express all my gratitude). The Hifi bug made me want to keep a couple of Thorens as well, but my 1019 remains N°1.
Since then I have serviced quite a few Duals for friends. Just finished a very nice 1019 for a fellow VE-er.
That's All Folks! I still use my 1019 every day in my study with a Shure M97xE cart and SAS stylus: awesome!
Cheers All,

Hugh.

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 28 Oct 2014 01:35

My first serious turntable was a brand new Dual 1215S which came with a Shure M91ED cartridge. That was October of 1972. My Dad's friend was into electronics and such. He got me a good deal on the Dual 1215S at around $115.00 at the time. I used it a lot the first few years, then bought a Teac cassette player in 1974 which I used for recording and playing my better music. Better cassette player and cartridge was bought in 1985. With time and more money, the stereo stuff got better. All recording for the last 13 years has been done using a stand alone recorder. I see nothing to improve at this point. Everything seems well balanced. Obtaining a few better replacement vinyls would be the cheapest way to improve the vinyl listen experience.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 28 Oct 2014 11:23

dualcan wrote:Hmm stories!
until that one rightfully flew out of the window for a TD 124....):

That TD124 with Dual arm (701 counterweight?) looks incredible and something I never imagined could be done. Has it long gone now? Gone are the days when you could buy TD124's used for twenty five quid (under fifty dollars) :(

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 28 Oct 2014 18:16

Hi,
Very astute of you!
The tonearm is actually an assembly of many parts and a slightly lengthened 1219 tonearm tube. This was necessary as the base of the arm could not be brought closer to the platter as can be seen by the escutcheon plate with the anti-skate wheel.
The counterweight is indeed the 701 unit. I re-armed (?!) the Thorens for my brother when I was at Dual/Noresco since the older Japanese arm was very heavy and we wanted to put a VMS Ortofon in it. This was a fun exercise for me, and having a complete Dual/Ortofon parts department to go nuts in certainly helped...
This unit is actually the culprit why I am active in any electronic forum and back to things Dual, since it was my son who "went Vinyl" about a year ago. For his vinyl inauguration, I got out the old Thorens and "beat" it into shape again, and needed some info from a good source. Long story short, VE helped me on this unit, and I got back into the saddle after many years of Dual abstinence...
As far as the TD124 is concerned, it is once again slinging vinyl with the VMS 20, and coupled to a genuine sleeper set-up of Nikko alpha 230 (?) and Beta 20, plus the Nikko equalizer and tuner. The speakers are a surprisingly good sounding Infinty set.
These old turntables are indestructible and with a bit of TLC will still outlast new machinery!
Regards,
k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 29 Oct 2014 01:09

dualcan wrote:As far as the TD124 is concerned, it is once again slinging vinyl with the VMS 20, and coupled to a genuine sleeper set-up of Nikko alpha 230 (?) and Beta 20, plus the Nikko equalizer and tuner. The speakers are a surprisingly good sounding Infinty set.
These old turntables are indestructible and with a bit of TLC will still outlast new machinery!
Regards,
k
Wholeheartedly agree with you, Klaus, on that last sentence 100%! And it's nice to see a Nikko set-up getting some love here...By the way, which model Infinity speakers are they, anyway? On the rare occasion, I see some nice ones used, but it'll give me something else to watch for...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 29 Oct 2014 10:29

I thought that was a 701 counterweight although as you mentioned it is a 1229 arm. A 721/704 counterweight is also a good one and a bit easier to find.

It is interesting that the guy who often says that tweaking is unnecessary with Dual's is finally coming clean about his own tweaking experiments! :wink:

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 29 Oct 2014 15:04

Caught with a tweak- red handed even!
In my defense however, I did tweak a Thorens with Dual parts and brought it up a notch over the originally supplied arm.
This Thorens drive chassis really doesn't need any tweaking...well almost.
The only sticky point of this unit is the ferrous (cast iron) platter which negates using MC carts, unless you change the platter:
http://www.schopper.ch/index.php?page=n ... er-Platter
and here in translation:
http://www.schopper.ch/uploads/images/T ... 1_Test.pdf
As can be seen, you do need a bit of cash for this tweak, and CHF 1,490 only gets you the raw sub platter. You might need the central bearing CHF 890, and a few other niceties perhaps..
As for the implanted Dual arm, besides the 1219 parts, it has a collage of many other parts. The gimbal is actually a 1218 1219 combo.
The lift has many different components for which I don't recall the type heritage.
Since the arm is completely manual, I have suggested to my son to add an auto-lift for end-of-play via sensing electronics and a solenoid coupled to the lift.
To answer a previous question on the speakers, the Infinity's are QA's and I was truly surprised at the outcome once we changed the old Sansui receiver for the Nikko and upped the cart for the VMS.
I was skeptical of the QA's because of the flimsy cabinetry with vinyl veneer and two speakers to boot.. One of the woofers had some damage to the surrounds which was repairable but the (rightly) highly acclaimed Emit tweeters were intact.
Here is a good reference to these speakers:
http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity.html
Although while at Dual Noresco and since they imported Rotel (I owned a RA 1312 and the matching tuner plus the superb 1412). I also got interested in the less sexy but well made Nikko brand, and sold some of these later on, once independent.
Regards,
k

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 29 Oct 2014 21:59

My Dual 1009SK I bought for $20 - it came out of a console so I had a friend make a plinth for it:

https://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb1 ... buhgee.jpg

My other Dual 1015F I bought out of a console for $15. The headshell on my other Dual was giving me too many problems so I needed a new one. Buying the 1015F was certainly cheaper than ordering a headshell.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Oct 2014 05:13

ginniegatrit wrote:My Dual 1009SK I bought for $20 - it came out of a console so I had a friend make a plinth for it:

My other Dual 1015F I bought out of a console for $15. The headshell on my other Dual was giving me too many problems so I needed a new one. Buying the 1015F was certainly cheaper than ordering a headshell.
Yes, Ginnie, the accessories can sometimes be pricey, but you've got to admit that in the end, the Duals sound excellent, and now you have two workhorses that will supply you with a lifetime of musical merriment and enjoyment...Isn't that worth just a little extra to be able to enjoy the music forever? Plus, that plinth is simply beautiful, and your guy is to be commended for such a fine job! =D> Maybe, if he's up to it, he could make you another one down the line...Both Duals deserve a nice plinth of their own...The first one turned out so great, that maybe he'd be willing to give it a go one more time...You could always supply him with more of the proper beverages as an incentive... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Oct 2014 05:20

Let's not forget Don's many examples (I'm sure), jives' cool 1225 and robgil's "new" 1226!...It's so cool to see all these Duals in action again! 8) Sure says an awful lot about the brand to see THIS much love for it!!

JaBK

Post by JaBK » 30 Oct 2014 11:46

Fantastic stories. This was exactly the kind of reminiscing I was hoping for when posting the question.

Has anybody gone off to try other brands to then return to Dual?
And, oppositely, if you switched away from your old Dual(s) - what did you choose in stead, and why?

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 30 Oct 2014 14:15

ginniegatrit wrote:My Dual 1009SK I bought for $20 - it came out of a console so I had a friend make a plinth for it:

That's beautiful and still looks up to date, unlike many much later Duals which were 'styled' too much IMO...