Dual Service

twice the fun
mvb14

Re: Servicing Dual Turntables - Revised

Post by mvb14 » 24 Nov 2016 14:02

I recently opened the motor of a Dual 1219 to clean and relube.The three small rivets that have to be removed (NOT the bigger rivets present on the motor) are made of some sort of soft copper. I did not drill them out but used a small sharp chisel to "behead" them. Worked easily enough for me.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 24 Nov 2016 15:54

Whenever I open a Dual 1019/1219 motor, I replace the original rivets by M3 (3mm) screws and nylock nuts.
It looks very professional and the motor is much easier to service afterwards if needed.
Cheers,

Hugh.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 08 Jan 2017 02:54

Hugues TR4 wrote:Whenever I open a Dual 1019/1219 motor, I replace the original rivets by M3 (3mm) screws and nylock nuts.
It looks very professional and the motor is much easier to service afterwards if needed.
Cheers,

Hugh.
Would a 1009 SX use the same size screws/nuts to replace the rivets?

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 08 Jan 2017 09:58

If we are talking about the same motor ("twin-bell" type, check part number in the service manual), then probably yes.
This n° is 31N-U10, for the 1019, 218 326 for the 1219/1229.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Hugh.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 31 Jan 2017 05:28

About to start on a 1009sk cleanup and lubrication. The idler is dried out but aside from that it is making a lot noise and I was wondering if the noise indicates I should check for anything particular aside from a clean and lubrication. The link is for a video that has the sound.

http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums/b32 ... 28_160.mp4

Overall the table is in very good complete condition and I got it from the original owner, but it has sat for a lot of years.
Attachments
1009sk.jpg
(590.7 KiB) Downloaded 1326 times

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 31 Jan 2017 08:48

Hi Spensar,

Congrats for your acquisition!
Re: the noise, sounds like missing oil in the idler wheel axle.
But do not add any oil directly without cleaning everything thoroughly first, the mix of different types of oil could cause unwanted chemical reactions.
Also, bear in mind that under normal working conditions, the idler wheel is pressed against the inner part of the platter, which might reduce the spinning noise.
Do download Dualcan's motor and drives tutorials and the relevant service manual available in the library on this site, and study them before you start dismantling the beast.
Good luck in your restoration work,
Cheers,

Hugh.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 01 Feb 2017 05:11

Thanks Hugh, I do have the SM, Dualcan's guides, a tab open to his website pictures of a 1009 overhaul, and Don's guide to! I will see where a good clean and lube of the idler and selector assembly gets me.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 02 Feb 2017 04:48

Looks like the screeching noise was all from the hard dried out idler wheel. I took apart then cleaned and lubed the selector and idler mechanisms and it was still making the noise. But when I tried out a good 1200 series idler and the sound is gone. A chopped down Lego piece made an effective spacer for shorter 1200 idler shaft :mrgreen:

Same URL as before, hard to believe the noise from the wheel.
http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums/b32 ... 28_160.mp4

Post by Guest » 02 Feb 2017 05:29

Once the idler turn to rock hard pucks, the whole thing sounds like a truck.
Best thing is to purchase a new rebuilt idler from the VM website and call it a day.
As for jury-rigging those with legos - nah, get the right wheel, do the job right.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 02 Feb 2017 05:41

wrote:Once the idler turn to rock hard pucks, the whole thing sounds like a truck.
Best thing is to purchase a new rebuilt idler from the VM website and call it a day.
As for jury-rigging those with legos - nah, get the right wheel, do the job right.
The 1200 is definately a stop gap - I have a line on a 1019 idler in decent shape. The VM price is good bad but unfortunately the shipping of my old one and the rebuilt one is almost as much as the part.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Feb 2017 11:37

spensar wrote:
wrote:Once the idler turn to rock hard pucks, the whole thing sounds like a truck.
The 1200 is definately a stop gap - I have a line on a 1019 idler in decent shape. The VM price is good bad but unfortunately the shipping of my old one and the rebuilt one is almost as much as the part.
Unfortunately shipping and postage are a killer these days even on small parts.

The little spacer wedge for the 1019 is a good example. If someone buys from within the US postage is reasonable, but someone buying from Canada gets hosed. If they buy off fleabay they also get hosed with the global shipping program fees.

Take off eh!

Post by Guest » 03 Feb 2017 01:04

Tinkaroo wrote:
spensar wrote:
Unfortunately shipping and postage are a killer these days even on small parts.

The little spacer wedge for the 1019 is a good example. If someone buys from within the US postage is reasonable, but someone buying from Canada gets hosed. If they buy off fleabay they also get hosed with the global shipping program fees.

Take off eh!
All this blabber over shipping rates for something that you'll likely only buy ONCE in twenty years.
Someone should attach this thread to the cheapskates/dumpster divers thread. :shock:

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 03 Feb 2017 04:30

All in for the idler would total about $70CDN from VM so it is enough to give consideration to. I do appreciate the pointer to VM and have ordered from them before when it was needed. As I should be able to get a proper one locally there is no need at this time.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Feb 2017 11:06

wrote: All this blabber over shipping rates for something that you'll likely only buy ONCE in twenty years.
Someone should attach this thread to the cheapskates/dumpster divers thread. :shock:
It's different when the shoe is on the other persons foot.

It doesn't seem fair for shipping and other fees to inflate the final cost to a multiple of the actual item cost on a small item.

Post by Guest » 03 Feb 2017 18:04

Tinkaroo wrote:
wrote: All this blabber over shipping rates for something that you'll likely only buy ONCE in twenty years.
It's different when the shoe is on the other persons foot.

It doesn't seem fair for shipping and other fees to inflate the final cost to a multiple of the actual item cost on a small item.
Of course it doesn't seem fair - the bloated shipping prices.
Nevertheless, this is the world we live in today, products and/or services become wildly priced, for whatever reason.
And you have to consider inflation as well - another thing we have no control over.

Then there's availability...
That idler wheel, back in 1975, might have cost $4 to replace, plentiful, and available at a local parts distributor.

BUT... consider that today they are no longer manufactured, and new-old-stock can be of questionable quality.
So the solution is to re-build them with fresh rubber.
This requires special machining and vulcanizing/molding equipment.
Add in the labor costs to perform these jobs.

So now that idler cost $28 dollars, along with elevated shipping costs, and the fact that there are very few places to purchase one from.
Luckily, there are these places! (such as VM)
But if you want one, you've got to pay the price, or else find another hobby more suited to your wallet.

If you delve into this vintage audio world, it has its benefits, namely enjoying the style and precision quality that once was a benchmark in the audio world.
But occasionally I hear of people complaining about costs - parts, etc.
Then in that case, as I mentioned, go find another less expensive toyland to play in.

The same thing goes for vintage automobiles -
A 1954 Chrysler, found in a barn, and needing restoration...
The owner/collector now has to plunk out thousands for parts, re-painting, re-wiring, re-chroming, etc.
But they cannot bitch about all that, if they desire a proper and justified job.