Dual Service

twice the fun
TurnTablesTurn

Re: Servicing Dual Turntables - Revision 2

Post by TurnTablesTurn » 22 Jan 2015 06:24

Great guide! I am very new to this and probably just missed something but how do you adjust the idler shaft height to adjust the speed on a 1019? I seem to be running too fast.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 22 Jan 2015 12:56

Do not adjust the shaft! Unfortunately the guide does not mention the procedure and it will be rectified.
In the meantime, look at figure 2 on page 5 of the service manual. It shows the speed pulley on the motor shaft. Each speed on the pulley is one slanted section of four steps/speeds. The idler is touching the middle of speed step 33.3rpm. Make sure to place the pitch control (item 7 of same picture) centered between 33 and 45 rpm, then slide the pulley to the half way position of the selected speed as shown (33.3 rpm in picture). Now tighten the side screw.
Thanks for pointing out this omission!
Regards,
k

arturoaf

Post by arturoaf » 25 Feb 2015 10:56

Hello, this is my first post and to thank Dualcan and Jlbruyelle this document that comes great to repair a birdie that makes the engine of my Dual 1019

I also want to say that I am about to receive an HS-31 Dual 1015 turntable-F, one of the rarest and short of this mark

Sorry if my English is not correct, but I am writing through the Google translator. =D> =D> =D>

chascharles

Post by chascharles » 05 Mar 2015 10:53

Thank you for the excellent information in Revision 2. I will be studying the directions and the excellent pictures.

I bought my Dual 1019 new about 47 years ago. After using it for @12 years the motor lubrication failed. I take the motor apart and cleaned off the solidified grease. I used what I had available which was Vaseline to lubricate it. The motor still spins fine. But I am thinking I should take the motor apart and clean and lubricate the motor since I have the inters exposed.

I need to fine a new idler wheel for my 1019. Any one have a contact where I can purchase one?
The center screw head was damaged on the idler wheel when I worked on the unit 35 years ago. I assume taking the nut off the bottom of the shaft will free the idler wheel.

richg2

Post by richg2 » 07 Mar 2015 23:26

The parts drawing I picked up here and my 1225 don't show a nut on the other side of the idler wheel. I did notice a idler wheel assembly on that rather lage auction site by ThE Bay. Don't know if it's there today.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 07 Mar 2015 23:52

The idler is removed as shown in the motor service guide by itself, NOT with the shaft which is counter tightened or riveted to idler arm. DO NOT turn the idler shaft, it is only used for installation and securing the shaft to idler arm.
k

JaS
engine room
engine room

Re: Servicing Dual Turntables - Revised

Post by JaS » 15 Apr 2015 12:31

Added a service document for Dual Cam and Cycling Problems. Thanks again to Klaus

bhjazz

Post by bhjazz » 25 Jul 2015 21:40

Great guide. Of course, only here at VinylEngine!

What I have not found is how much oil to add to a CS-431 well. My table has been running fast lately, and the oil level seems pretty low. There is a line inside the well. Is that the "fill line"? I certainly don't want to overdo it.

Thanks!

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 25 Jul 2015 22:24

Hi,
---and that is for a simple reason... I only worked for Steidinger produced turntables either PE or Dual. The Dual models produced under the Thompson-Brandt, Schneider or now Fehrenbacher are units which I have never seen, or worked on. I am very hesitant to over advise on any unit which I have not worked on, because it can be misleading information.
The same goes for cartridges. Except for the Ortofon, Dual and some Shure ranges of carts, of which Dual of Canada was importer (from the seventies till eight-two ish) and to which I have documentation, my guess is as good as yours!!
Hope this clarifies things a bit,
Regards,
k

K Mills

Post by K Mills » 17 Aug 2015 22:37

My Dual 1229 does not start. The strobe light does not light up. How do I check for voltage input. Which screws do I pull.

rangerdon

Post by rangerdon » 17 Oct 2015 20:59

Thanks. Very useful. But I have a very basic question - how do I remove the unit from its wooden base? Second question - where to screw the grounding wire?

Dual 1009 just bought at an estate sale.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 18 Oct 2015 00:27

Hi,
To remove a Dual changer from the base is very simple. Have a look at the other sticky
"How to open Dual TT's for servicing" and all will be revealed!
If you have a ground wire from the changer, then you can simply connect it to the amplifier/receiver. There is usually a hook-up bolt/nut combination for this purpose on the rear of these chassis.
Regards,
k

rangerdon

Post by rangerdon » 18 Oct 2015 00:42

Many thanks. Found the owner's manual here and figured out how to get the unit out of the base. Thanks also for the info about the grounding cable. For some reason we didn't get the power cord with the TT, so will hope to find one somewhere.

Cheers,

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 18 Oct 2015 01:36

Keep in mind that this AMP type power cord is the same as used on BSR and Garrard with the same pin configuration. If you slaughter an old pentium pc, you will find a fist-full of these AMP connectors on the power supply. You just need to snip off the 5 and 12 volt (red and yellow) cables and use a lamp cord to connect to this connector.30143
Regards,
k

Weeb

Post by Weeb » 30 Oct 2015 07:41

Hello - I'm relatively new here as a poster but have lurked for years. Hoping someone can help me with something. I had a Dual 704 refurbished this past Spring by the Fix My Dual guy. It sat in a closet here for several months until my son moved into his new apartment and set up his first respectable stereo system with my help. I'm an audiophile and Dual nut from way back.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks the platter speed changed and became too slow. Even adjusting the pitch control to the extreme could not match the proper speed. The platter and motor (with platter removed) spin freely with the TT unplugged.

Any idea what might be wrong? I've been in touch with the Dual guy and he is receptive and available for assistance, but I hate the thought of having to pack and ship this thing again if it's a simple fix. I can solder with the best of them and know my way around a circuit board, but I've never delved deep into a Dual's inards before. All thoughts and feedback are welcome!

Quick edit: My son checked the wall current (voltage) at his TT location and it was correct at approx. 120 volts. I compared the 704's performance against my 721 (also refurbished a year or so ago by the Dual guy) in my workshop and there is clearly a problem. Wall current in my workshop is also correct.