Dual Service

twice the fun
Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Servicing Dual Turntables - Revised

Post by Hugues TR4 » 03 Feb 2017 20:16

Shipping costs usually have nothing to do with the price of the parts themselves.
My 28$ rebuilt idler wheel from VM costs me 42.75$ plus Belgian customs handling of 26.11€ plus the cost of sending the original part (another 7€ or so)!
I think in most cases, if you could manage to persuade the seller to save on the shipping costs ( you don't always really need first class air shipping with tracing for a quite heavy unexpensive part) you would reduce these costs a lot.
It is not unusual to see parts costing over twice the price because of the shipping price. But they don't give you the choice... perhaps an extra income on the actual sale price...(?)
You can see everyday on the Bay different shipping rates for the same item sold by different sellers from the same country...
Wonder how this all is calculated (and which extra benefit it brings in)...
Just food for thoughts...
Cheers,

Hugh.

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 04 Feb 2017 02:40

Lots of different 1980's Japanese turntables that require little to no servicing on eBay. P-Mount turntables are simple and reliable. You don't have to pay an arm and a leg for lower end direct drive models. Technics turntables are plentiful. I have a number of belt and rim drive Dual turntables. I mainly use belt drive 601 and 1245 models. Unless you like the greater challenge of making rim drive models work correctly, I would only buy one if it were very cheap. Belt drive Dual models seem the safer route if determined to own a Dual name on the shelf.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 04 Feb 2017 05:28

lreneat wrote:Lots of different 1980's Japanese turntables that require little to no servicing on eBay. P-Mount turntables are simple and reliable. You don't have to pay an arm and a leg for lower end direct drive models. Technics turntables are plentiful. I have a number of belt and rim drive Dual turntables. I mainly use belt drive 601 and 1245 models. Unless you like the greater challenge of making rim drive models work correctly, I would only buy one if it were very cheap. Belt drive Dual models seem the safer route if determined to own a Dual name on the shelf.
It is a hobby for me as I enjoy mucking with the vintage tables. This 1009SK is a wonderfully engineered table and is a favorite so far. Getting it up to speed is satisfying and part of the fun is finding solutions and getting things to work. I also have a nice 505 with an Ortofon MC cartridge so there is no pressure here to get it going.

mhjmhj

Post by mhjmhj » 08 Jun 2017 14:50

These are great guides - thank you!

Does anyone know a substitute for Shell Alvania #2 / Gadus S2 V220 AC2 that is readily available in the US? I'd prefer not to spend $50 on lubricants.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 08 Jun 2017 15:40

Hi,
Don (mrow2) does sell alvania in smaller quantity on fleabay...
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=138468
Contact him with a PM.
Regards,
k

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 09 Jun 2017 03:41

Try auto part stores as well. In Canada NAPA carries it and a tube can be ordered to pick up at a local store if they don't have it.

mhjmhj

Post by mhjmhj » 09 Jun 2017 13:36

My local store sells a Gadus S3 - would that work?

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 09 Jun 2017 16:59

mhjmhj wrote:My local store sells a Gadus S3 - would that work?
You will want to stick with the right one.

jnh

Post by jnh » 25 Jun 2017 18:42

Hola buenos días.

Se por experiencia que la silikona que se aplicába en el conjunto de paro en los tocadiscos Dual, era silikona backerfluida, pero no era la silikona AK 300000.

Serian tan amables de decirme donde se puede conseguirese tipo de silikona.

Muchas gracias.

It is known from experience that the silikone that was applied in the set of stop on the Dual turntable was silikona backerfluida, but it was not the silikona AK 300000. [/ b]

They would be so kind as to tell me where you can get kind of silikone.

Thank you very much.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 25 Jun 2017 19:22

Hola JNH,
¿A qué modelo Dual se refiere?
Saludos,
k

JaBK

Post by JaBK » 04 Sep 2017 12:08

Regarding motor dis-assembly:
Will a 4-pole motor (in a model 1209) require the same size bolts (M2.5 6mm) in place of the pop rivets when opening and cleaning the bottom bearing (compared to the continuous pole 1219/1019 motors)?

I am finally getting myself ready to do this last essential step in restoring my 'table. As it is now, my bearings and mechanics are running really well. Speed, dynaimcs and accuracy are really good and very engaging to listen to, but I am still bothered by the noise floor when playing records, and I believe some of it is due to excessive vibrations from the motor, which has never been cleaned or lubed since being put together in the late 60's.
I could post a couple of before-and-after screenshots from my phone's spectrum analysis tool.

kwatch

Post by kwatch » 19 Oct 2017 15:12

Do I need to remove the Cam Wheel in order to lubricate it? I have Dual 721.
Attachments
Capture.jpg
(112.62 KiB) Downloaded 1166 times

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 19 Oct 2017 17:55

Hi,
Yes, because you need to clean the old dried stuff first. Be extremely miserly with the new lube! -less is much more...
The 721 is a top Dual where tiny tolerances are critical. Mucked-up lubes will not work in the (not too distant) long run.
See my 721 tutorial on my web page (blue ball to the left) under Service tips.
Pay particular attention to the cam lube guide found in the "Servicing Dual TT" thread and in my 721 restoration, particularly from pic 40 onwards.
Keep in mind, many caps should be changed, both for continued safety (Noise suppressor caps) and motor servo board.
You have one of the real gems from Dual, so take careful steps to keep this magnificent machine working!
Regards,
k

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 24 Oct 2017 18:02

I opened up the motor of a 1209 and the felt washers are shot. What kind of felt should I be looking for and any ideas on where to source it in Canada or the US.

I saw some cheap crafting felt in a store but it was synthetic and did not look like it would stand up or do the job of holding oil.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 24 Oct 2017 19:34

Hi,
I have used foam strips for a long time as it has not given me any problems. Any clean foam or felt strip cut to size and wrapped around the bushing will do. What you don't want is material that sheds fissures obviously..
1019 041 CJ final clean of lower bell parts.JPG
(175.36 KiB) Downloaded 1131 times
The old main felt can usually be cleaned. To get down to almost new, I dunk them (Felts only- not the foam ones!) into lacquer thinner and let them bathe for a while... Shown is the 1019 can motor, but it's the same for the 1209/1218 brick motor.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
k