Dual Service

twice the fun
tep392

Re: Dual Service

Post by tep392 » 22 Jan 2019 02:37

I adjusted the lift height, limit screw and cue height per the manual. I didnt adjust the main lever so i will need to check that. I also noticed that when I initiate the stop operation, the arm will travel inward slightly before traveling out to the rest.

joea
United States of America

Post by joea » 25 Jan 2019 21:44

joea wrote:
07 Jan 2019 23:32
Hugues TR4 wrote:
06 Jan 2019 11:19
Hi joea,

I also made this very handy turntable stand, following blindly (well...almost…) the instructions given and it corresponds exactly to the specified measurements needed for both large and small chassis Dual's, with the appropriate spacers.
The sides are not flush on mine but the distance between the two sides is exactly 40.5mm (16") as specified. That is the paramount importance.
Enjoy your puzzle!
Cheers,

Hugh.
I went ahead and trimmed the bottom and rear piece to 17 1/2 inches. Lined up perfectly. Laid on a couple coats of Minwax Urethane just to avoid future splinters and staining from any lubricants or dirt that may drop from time to time.

Still gathering up odds and ends to finish it.
Getting back to finishing the stand, seems a "round" 4 inch electrical plate is not available in my area any longer, only "octagonal" shaped are available. While this could no doubt be pressed into use, what else have people found to work well as the brake disk?

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 26 Jan 2019 10:55

Hi joea,

My first attempt, as these discs are not available in Europe either, was with a couple of CD's glued together. They are approximately the same size and are quite resistant enough for the purpose. Just drill the appropriate holes.
I eventually got the proper disc later from a dear friend of mine in Canada, so I went back to the original idea.
But CD's work: a good example of vinyl revenge VS numerics.
Good luck,

Hugh.

joea
United States of America

Post by joea » 26 Jan 2019 14:06

Hugues TR4 wrote:
26 Jan 2019 10:55
Hi joea,

My first attempt, as these discs are not available in Europe either, was with a couple of CD's glued together. They are approximately the same size and are quite resistant enough for the purpose. Just drill the appropriate holes.
I eventually got the proper disc later from a dear friend of mine in Canada, so I went back to the original idea.
But CD's work: a good example of vinyl revenge VS numerics.
Good luck,

Hugh.
Not too far from Canada, but no known contacts there at this time. The CD's are a thought, but I wondered how to deal with the larger center hole. I suppose I could glue something in there as a filler and make it work, it's not "rocket science". I think in this case the "proper" disc (or disk) is whatever works. But, still, if I should ever run across the "right" one, I will swap it out. Sigh.

joea
United States of America

Post by joea » 27 Jan 2019 20:50

joea wrote:
26 Jan 2019 14:06
. . .
Not too far from Canada, but no known contacts there at this time. The CD's are a thought, but I wondered how to deal with the larger center hole. I suppose I could glue something in there as a filler and make it work, it's not "rocket science". I think in this case the "proper" disc (or disk) is whatever works. But, still, if I should ever run across the "right" one, I will swap it out. Sigh.
Actually . . . now that I have glued up a pair of CD's . . . I went back to an "octagonal" plate I had laying around and, upon further pondering and deep reflection . . .

I think it works just fine as there appears to be sufficient contact area between the "flat" area of the plate perimeter (the missing part of the "circle/arc") and the brake washer to hold fine. YMMV, and a larger diameter washer may be necessary. Anyway it holds fine with no chassis installed and a bit of force applied to attempt to move it.

Did find I had to use longer bolts/screws for some that go through the side supports so the wing nuts could get a bight.

On to making the spacers and tackling a 1219 or two.

tep392

Post by tep392 » 01 Feb 2019 16:40

Spinner45 wrote:
22 Jan 2019 02:26
There are several critical adjustments involved in the "end of cycle" mechanism.
If you've removed any parts in your cleaning, these adjustments will likely require re-adjustment again.
The Service Manual covers all these things.
The cuing height and limits - the main cam follower lever adjustment - etc.
The "paddle" underneath must be free from the pimple before it moves horizontally, because if it moves while touching the pimple it will upset the arm's downward motion.
Here's an update. I would like to know your thoughts. I've adjusted everything per the manual. I've noticed that the tonearm moves back right a little after being pushed left while on cue lift. I think it's related to it moving right before dropping during auto start. The top "pimple" doesn't look worn thru, so I wouldn't think that is the issue. I posted this video to youtube to demonstrate.
https://youtu.be/TePX39exmwU

joea
United States of America

Re: Dual Service - discolored metal where grease was

Post by joea » 03 Feb 2019 02:56

Cleaning up my first 1219 and see the various metal parts, some of them anyway, seem to have discolored where the grease had been. In the case of the main lever it may be wear from the pimple as well I guess.

Should I have any concerns about that or consider it normal?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Dual Service - discolored metal where grease was

Post by Spinner45 » 03 Feb 2019 05:16

joea wrote:
03 Feb 2019 02:56
Cleaning up my first 1219 and see the various metal parts, some of them anyway, seem to have discolored where the grease had been. In the case of the main lever it may be wear from the pimple as well I guess.

Should I have any concerns about that or consider it normal?
Ignore discoloration, it's got no effect on operation.

joea
United States of America

Re: Dual Service - "pimple" claims

Post by joea » 03 Feb 2019 16:28

Not to cause a war or ill will, but how to decipher the various claims about steuerpimpels?

I've already purchased a couple along with grease and stuff, and plan to use them, but have recently seen some strongly worded comments by one vendor, essentially "putting down" other offerings.

Comments?

dterrick

Post by dterrick » 15 Mar 2019 17:42

Hi all,

Again, Kudos to Jen-Luc and Klaus for providing the motor service information! I put my 1019 away some years ago and hauled out the Lenco L75 (perhaps my next project?) but with a dodgy arm it's just not quite right. The Thorens decks (160 and 165 on Grado Silver and M97XE respectively) are the mainstays for jazz and rock respectively at home; at the lake I run a 1218 on a vintage Grado GT with a green tip.

Wow am I glad to have found this thread. In the interest of a test run I pulled the motor apart and did a basic lube (not a full disassembly) and the crickets have disappeared. Fresh Stanton tip on a Pickering V15, check the tonearm bearings and reset all to the correct specs and WOW is all I can say... if a quick clean can do this, imagine when I get into a full service?

My only issue seems to be crackle during the startup/shutdown stage of operation. I presume this is a grounding / dirty contacts issue? I haven't looked into this yet but I'd love a redirect if anyone can share their experience.

Dave

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 02 Apr 2019 00:12

dterrick wrote:
15 Mar 2019 17:42
Hi all,

Again, Kudos to Jen-Luc and Klaus for providing the motor service information! I put my 1019 away some years ago and hauled out the Lenco L75 (perhaps my next project?) but with a dodgy arm it's just not quite right. The Thorens decks (160 and 165 on Grado Silver and M97XE respectively) are the mainstays for jazz and rock respectively at home; at the lake I run a 1218 on a vintage Grado GT with a green tip.

Wow am I glad to have found this thread. In the interest of a test run I pulled the motor apart and did a basic lube (not a full disassembly) and the crickets have disappeared. Fresh Stanton tip on a Pickering V15, check the tonearm bearings and reset all to the correct specs and WOW is all I can say... if a quick clean can do this, imagine when I get into a full service?

My only issue seems to be crackle during the startup/shutdown stage of operation. I presume this is a grounding / dirty contacts issue? I haven't looked into this yet but I'd love a redirect if anyone can share their experience.

Dave

It may be the capacitor in the start circuit. Known as a spark suppressor cap. It's located inside the wiring junction box.

zacrobmer
Germany

Post by zacrobmer » 03 May 2019 09:02

I am about to embark on cleaning/servicing a couple of 1219's.

This forum and this thread in particular are a fantastic source of information.

I have already obtained copies of the Dual service manual, as well as the Service Guide available in the Library.

One of the 1219 was serviced "a few years ago" per the previous owner. It is in very good working condition based on an initial inspection/function check. However, should I plan on cleaning and relubing everything right away, just to be safe? The grease and lube points all seem to be ok, but the type of lubes used are unknown.

Also how much motor noise should be expected? When running at 33\45 there is just the slightest motor hum. It is barley audible above an unamplified "stylus on record" only sound. I looked at several videos, and frankly could not gauge what is an acceptable level.

I am almost debating whether to just put this one into service, as everything seems to be working fine, even the multi recording function works smoothly and the rubber washer is soft and supple.

heycoen
South Africa

Post by heycoen » 29 May 2019 18:06

My Dual 1019 motor was sluggish and I have followed the motor service instructions by dualcan to the letter - marking everything, etc. When reassembling the two halves of the motor and keeping with the markings, the tightening of the two bolts keeping the motor together, kills the movement of the rotor despite my tapping the casing to realign the bearings. Loosening the screws/bolts brings the rotation back. I have repeated the process of cleaning at least 10 times, all with the same result. Everything was kept scrupulously clean and there is no dirt or qtip lint captured anywhere. I am at my wits end. Can someone please help?

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Post by Dr_Wu » 29 May 2019 21:15

BoblK wrote:
02 Apr 2019 00:12
dterrick wrote:
15 Mar 2019 17:42
Hi all,

Dave

It may be the capacitor in the start circuit. Known as a spark suppressor cap. It's located inside the wiring junction box.
You should also check the leaf-style muting switch contacts for oxidization. Soak a piece of paper in contact cleaner and run it back and forth through the leaves of the switch.

aikijox

Post by aikijox » 14 Jul 2019 08:07

Welcome to everyone, I broke my Dual 1226 and I had a problem. This spring (W) I do not know where to set up if you can help me