HS 135 renovation

twice the fun
Clausewitz

HS 135 renovation

Post by Clausewitz » 28 Aug 2013 21:43

Hi everyone

Last week I bought an HS 135 and two speakers on a local auction site for a reasonable price. The 135 looked fine, but after lifting the 1224 mechanism, I was frustrated to see a few "autumn leaves", kitten hair and lots, lots of dust, rust, earth and dirt. I wonder where they kept this machine.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g41 ... 95f668.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g41 ... 3b6367.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g41 ... caa1d7.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g41 ... 7f64ab.jpg

Cleaned rust on motor with WD40, well, most of it, vacuumed and cleaned all the dirt inside. Left side wood panel is a bit damaged and checking the four knobs, three of them came to be in order, but the on/off knob rotates forever. It must have fallen or somehow got a blow. Anyway, I have to reach the backside of the front panel, but can't find a way how.

Took away Nr. 19 on left side, but front panel doesn't come off. Nr. 90 seems to be a Z shaped thin steel plate, and it's reluctant to come off, too. Do I have to take everything apart?

After I manage this, other questions will follow. Thanks for reading this far.

Aydin

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: HS 135 renovation

Post by mrow2 » 29 Aug 2013 03:14

I'm pretty sure they kept it in the storage shed, open at the bottom and top parts. That's where they seem to keep these units here! I have not seen that much rust on the motor before, but careful cleaning all around, and servicing etc it may be ok.
I've been rescuing a Sony tuner (it's been in weather - rust and peeling laminate), Technics receiver (sounds great, rust on the bottom!) and a Pioneer PL-10 turntable with frozen platter bearing and belt that resembles a dried snakeskin the last two days, and these goodies are coming around!

gramoman

Post by gramoman » 27 Sep 2019 11:21

I have HS 135 in mint condition.I must change cartrige.In operating instructions says that is ceramic cartridge with saphire needle.My question is,can I tan MM cartrige.

Best regards

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 27 Sep 2019 14:13

No you can not. The amp in this unit will not play MM carts. There used to be a MM Phono preamp(TTV46 or 47) optional for this Dual. These are available on ebay sometimes. Or you can get any external Phono pre and run cables from Q out through the preamp back into the AUX/External/Tape input.
I built one inside my Dual HS130 with its own power supply.
I visited Trogir few years ago. What a beautiful and friendly city it is!

gramoman

Post by gramoman » 27 Sep 2019 14:22

Do you is it possible detach the turntable from the housing and make a new housing?

Best regards

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 27 Sep 2019 14:48

Sure. If you do not care for the amp part you could use the top wooden plate of the unit and build a new plinth around it. Otherwise you need to cut the same pattern opening for the TT to fit in the new plinth. Or you could just remove the amp electronics and make a new front piece and keep the sides and back. The TT works direct from mains, no additional electronics/transformer needed. Then solder RCA cable on to the connector board where the cable to the amp is right now.
Dual 1224 is one of my favourite Duals. It may need some service though. There are few critical areas that go bad most often - idler bearing and motor needs drop of oil, main cam has a trip-lever that gets stuck if grease is dry, and most ofter the "Steuerpimpel" that helps to carry the arm to start and back is worn and automatic does not work.
If it would be HS130 I would use the internal amp. It is rather good germanium transistor amp and sounds very nice with full-range speakers. But HS135 may be different being newer model.

gramoman

Post by gramoman » 27 Sep 2019 19:24

Yes, Trogir is beautiful City, all coast is wonderful. Thanks for answers, and Best whishes.