Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

twice the fun
mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

Post by mrow2 » 07 Apr 2016 02:31

Hi Joe -- I am right here; you can always send me a Personal Message from the control message panel above. I can explain what I have or point you to the listings. Cheers, Don

rubli

Post by rubli » 05 Jul 2016 01:13

Hello

it took me a while "googleing" and finally this part I am looking for, has a name ! steuerpimpel !

I need one for my Dual CS731Q, does anybody made one for this model, or any hint to replace it ?

mine is completely destroyed,

thanx !

Alexander

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 05 Jul 2016 03:45

The service manual shows the part as the common 216 844 Control Stud #175 shown (just barely) in the explosion view in fig.21 but it's the one at the bottom of the view not the top one on that pin which rides upon the main lever 167 and therefore normally goes bad. That is the one I produce, and you can find them with different combinations at the Bay site with either or without a little Alvania lubrication grease which is used in very small amounts in the turntables. It would be normal for the old ones to become brittle, develop a crack and fall into the base cavity to mix in with other detritus there.

The site heading is: 1 Standard Dual Steuerpimpel + Alvania/Retinax Lube 5.5ml + Service Guide PDF

There is another similar to it there without the lubricant (results in less shipping cost), and other listings for other models with different parts needs.

Dual622

Post by Dual622 » 11 Jul 2016 21:49

When I brought my Dual 622 home, the automatic functions didn't work, because the "steuerpimpel" had deteriorated, fallen off the pin, and was sitting in the bottom of the case. This was four years ago, and I had never been on any kind of turntable repair website and had no repair manual, so I didn't even know what the little rubber pencil-eraser thing was called. However, I am good at fixing things and coming up with substitute parts when I can't get an exact replacement. I used heat-shrink tubing to make a new steuerpimpel. I shrunk a short piece of it over the pin and another piece and another until it was about 1/4 inch in diameter. Then I cut it to the proper height with a razor blade. It worked great and still works today. It is the smoothest, quietest automatic turntable I have ever owned or used. And, unlike most other automatics, if something blocks the movement of the tone arm (like if you forget to release the clip on the arm rest) the steuerpimpel will slip and prevent damage to the mechanism. Brilliant!

Kyluckyman

Post by Kyluckyman » 11 Aug 2016 03:56

Will the steurpimple on the 1219 that is underneath the table also work for a missing one on my lift tube? In doing the tonearm rewire, mine fell off and I was wondering why the cue stopped working?

Thank you all for your help

Bob D.
Hopkinsville, Ky

Kyluckyman

Post by Kyluckyman » 11 Aug 2016 06:29

Yes, the sturerpiumple will work on the topside application and well as the better known one beneath the table. Learning to fox these old players are a lot of fun!

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 11 Aug 2016 17:21

Hi,
The rubber guides or Steuerpimpels (Steering Pimples) of the 1219 (and 1218) upper position, item 211 and lower position item 217, are identical part nr 216 844.
For the 1229 and subsequent models (plus retro work on the 1218/19 as per Dual instruction bulletins), the bottom pimple was changed to a vinyl variant as can be seen in the 1229 manual, item 229 part nr 223 777.
The reason for the change is that the rubber variant is perfect for the holding effect on top, required to compensate for the anti skate force, but is too "bouncy" for the lower variant. This is manifested when the changer operates on 45 RPM with 7" records. The arm swings over the 7" start groove, and when it hits the stop for this 7" position, it bounces excessively left/right/left. The Vinyl variant will diminish this "bounce" stop dramatically. It is a real tread to see this bounce on a 10" / 78 RPM record....
For that reason I have changed to a vinyl variant for the lower pimple.
Regards,
k

DualSpinsMyVinyl
United States of America

Post by DualSpinsMyVinyl » 14 Aug 2016 19:20

Wanted give a big thank you to our Dual experts for the selfless volunteering of their time to help us keep tour Duals going. Case in point is my recent purchase of a 1249 that had obviously been sitting unused for many years. With the help specifically of dualcan and mrow2, I now have a functioning 1249. Wanted to let mrow2 to know that the steuerpimple I purchased from him works smooth as glass. No lateral bounce when the arm comes to the stop point over the record and no hesitation when moving laterally from side to side. I would recommend his sterepimple to anyone without hesitation.

Kyluckyman

Post by Kyluckyman » 14 Aug 2016 21:48

I have to agree with you DualSpinsmyvinyl! have bought them from all those guys in Germany and several here in the USA. Mrow2's are the best!

I have found using some medical hemostats, I can change them out in a moment or two! Perfect tool for the job!

Crisol

Post by Crisol » 25 Sep 2016 18:00

I have to replace the Dual Knallfrosch capacitors on my 731q but afterwards I need to replace the steuerpimple.
In this thread is explained where the steuerpimple is in the 731q turntable.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62307
So I point it here whith the scredriver, just to be shure.
https://i.imgur.com/weG5Vag.jpg
After those repair I should clean and lubricate.
Regarding alvania #2, I bought shell gadus S2 V220AD 2 which is the replacement to albania #2, but it is gray in color. Is it normal?.
https://i.imgur.com/AJu2Sxq.jpg

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 26 Sep 2016 07:29

I don't know the properties of your grease version. It's probably similar but that is just a guess. The grease I'm offering is this one which does reference Alvania Gadus S2V220 2 and is the identical color and texture of the original -- except that it is fresh and clean. You might be able to search the manufacturer's specs to compare the properties, then decide. One advantage with Alvania is the lifespan it offers, it's EP rated as is yours, and it is original.

Thanks DualSpinsMV and Kyluckyman for earlier comments! Cheers, Don (mrow22)
Attachments
Alvania Retinax ii.jpg
(312.96 KiB) Downloaded 1520 times

Crisol

Post by Crisol » 27 Sep 2016 16:30

You are right. I made a mistake.

This one is Shell Albania HDX

http://www.kreissler24.de/shell_schmier ... 4385_0.htm

Recommended uses are similar:
http://www.dimsa-mexico.com/documents/c ... _gadus.pdf

I will look for the right one.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 09 Oct 2016 22:57

I've had little experience with Dual turntables aside from a well preserved 1019 and reading posts about them , however picked up a 1225 for a friend in a wheelchair who was wanting something with auto shutoff a bit better quality than their current equipment (fast running Panasonic changer and a Crosley). It was a bit gummed up and needing a steuerpimpel, so I ordered mrow2's kit, and after reading manual and his pdf, cleaned motor, cam, speed change mechanism, and anything else even remotely sticky, but when finished, could not get tonearm to fully return to rest on stop cycle. I then worked on switch mechanism some more, until antiskating would fully return arm and turn off switch at 2.5 setting, but still had same issue. I tried varying amounts of Alvania on friction surface of plastic main lever from practically none, to considerably more than a toothpick full (friction path does have some wear), and checked any other possible point of binding. only when I lightly applied Alvina to top lift glide did it almost return properly, but was not working again next day and then saw that it had had already worn through end of new pimpel. I then made a temporary replacement with 3 layers of heat shrink tubing (1 x 1\16", 2 x 1\8" melted down on end with soldering iron) which worked properly. I'm not sure, but the pimpel appeared off center or slightly tilted when installed, maybe also too thin, or else possibly the wear on main lever was responsible for it not working, (or possibly I'm overlooking something on this simple appearing, yet finicky model). I'm thinking I may have recieved a defect, but from all the recommendations, I was just hoping that this replacement part would hold up for a while, as this friend is not mechanically inclined, and lives 70 miles away. If I was keeping it, I'd likely just continue using the heat shrink. Should I now be searching for a replacement main lever?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 10 Oct 2016 09:36

Please PM me with your actual purchase info. The pimpel should be replaced regardless if it was installed unevenly or not. The extreme wear indicates something is wrong for sure. If the main lever paddle has a path carved into it, a new pimpel conceivably could catch on the crosshatch surface. Thanks, mrow2

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 11 Oct 2016 17:06

I think the 1225 works the same as the 12" platter models here, so here goes...

The 'top pimpel' above-decks on these models is finely adjustable for final overall lift height by a thumb-nut just below it (part 38 in the service manual), With the mechanism on 'full lift' during the cycle, ideally there should be a tiny amount of clearance between arm lifted and the maximum lift-height-stop adjustment. If the thumb nut is unscrewed too much, the tonearm will be forcibly pushed too hard against this height stop and the arm won't be able to move back and forth properly on the lower pimple action on the main lever. My 1229 in the past, and current 601 and 701 are like this. The action on the 10" platter earlier models is different if my 1214 is anything to go by.